SBGi Norcal hosting John Frankl Seminar July 25 and 26

Throwing Dummy

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
John Frankl will be visiting SBGi Norcal in Berkeley on July 25 and 26 to hold a seminar. You can come either or both days.

If you don't know John, he received his blue belt from Rickson, but then moved to Boston where he started learning BJJ under Roberto Maia, from there on he earned all his belts from Maia including his black belt in 2002.

John is the founder of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in Korea, having opened an academy there in 1999.

His teaching is excellent, and he is my most influential instructor after my coach and BJJ Black Belt Lily Pagle.

If you are interested, please call the gym at 510 540 8283. You can ask here or pm me if you like, but I am not always here.

Frankl%20August%2015_zpsppw83r01.jpg

John Frankl is an OG. Every grappler I know who swings through Korea gives huge props to his gym.

I did a seminar with him once. It was good.

You may want to edit that flyer to say "Seoul, South Korea" though lol.

That sounds really awesome. John Frankl and Lily Pagle. I'd love to hear their teaching theories and integration of Judo to bjj and submission grappling.

That sounds really awesome. John Frankl and Lily Pagle. I'd love to hear their teaching theories and integration of Judo to bjj and submission grappling.

Lily gives seminars on using Judo takedowns in BJJ now and then. I'll post here if one comes up.

This will be John's seminar though - you can expect fundamentals that that have deep consequences. It's always that way with his teaching.

I am bummed though, I will be out of town, but not too much as I will be in Italy that week doing fun stuff.

I very much recommend going to his seminar. I have had many instructors due to various reasons and John is the best. He remember being shown techniques that were way ahead of anyone else using them.

Like Ryan Hall, he is a conceptual thinker and make sure to ask him a lot of questions.

Back