SCA - Full Contact Medieval Combat

Crossface9

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Do we have any SCA fighters here? I'm just getting into and I think its amazing. I love Boxing, Wrestling, Medieval combat (SCA) and Longbow hunting. IMO SCA goes very well with Wrestling or any other component of MMA. For those of you who don't know SCA its full contact medieval combat with wooden weapons.

(Let me know if this isn't the right forum for this. I avoided Mayberry because that's not a fighting forum.)

Skip to 3:50
[YT]jvmPzMDHUTc[/YT]

Skip to 3:10
[YT]GPH4VXJyGNI[/YT]

That dude's wife was crying lol (15:30 first vid)

She's enormous btw

Ive tried SCA (a girl can get a guy to try lots of things) but never liked heavy combat much. Heavy combat was too reliant on the wooden sword not having an edge, and on armor. If I really had to try medieval combat again, I would try ARMA (or a similar org) who try to recreate actual fighting skills from old medieval textbooks.

But then again, SCA had plenty of good looking girls and lots of partying going on.

Last edited:
I competed in an SCA event once. They were more about costumes and their own peculiar ideas thereof than actual weapon fighting technique. Never went to another.

Shinkyoku - I agree the Rattan swords don't feel as direct as normal swords but imo because of SCAs full contact nature and its intensity. Its the closest thing we have towards Medieval combat with out seriously injuring eacother or killing Eachother. Theres ACL but thats way less focused on striking and precision, so im not a big fan. It maybe obvious but in Sca you put tape on your sword, so if I hit you with the left or right side with the sword it doesn't count. Only the blade. As Far as Hema, and Arma. If its not full contact, im not interested. If its full contact and its not terribly dangerous to my.health. Im pretty open about trying new form s of medieval combat/sword fighting

Chesten Hesten - I'm sorry you had that experience, thats not been my experience at all. While they have more to offer than fighting, there very fighting focused. If youre interested, id recommend you go to A SCA heavy fighting practice, all the do is fight. That being said, I haven't been to an event, but seen tons of video s. But ive been to practice and they fight a lot!!

Harukaze: I guess on the outside, it would look weird. But Like I was saying this is full contact, intense fighting. I see it the same as Muay Thai, wrestling etc. To me its just fighting with weapons compared
To unarmed combat. SCA is different in that has more to offer than fighting, but if you just want to be intense, fight all the time and win tournaments. More then welcome to do that, I wouldn't scoff at it till you.experienced it In person.

SCA heavy is just a stick fighting combat sport. No one can tell what way the blade is facing and you have to hit hard enough to cause bludgeoning damage without swinging from the shoulder. It is also reliant on rules - no hitting below the knees and no grabbing means people are free to lead a leg ahead of the shield and keep a static posture.

All and all it is fun game but I don't think it is intellectually stimulating on any level. I think it is better as a sewing / fishing / camping club than as a world of Conan stick sport.

The SCA does not go well with wrestling because there's no wrestling allowed in their rules. Nor is it full contact as stated above. However, many find it to be a fun game and get into the various crafting aspects. Find a solid HEMA club if you're interested in learning actual historical fighting arts, however.

The SCA does not go well with wrestling because there's no wrestling allowed in their rules. Nor is it full contact as stated above. However, many find it to be a fun game and get into the various crafting aspects. Find a solid HEMA club if you're interested in learning actual historical fighting arts, however.

are tournaments like Combatcon and Longpoint involved in any kind of organization?

Longpoint is organised by the HEMA Alliance. It is the second largest tournament of its type in the world with over 150 combatants and several categories.

SCA heavy is just a stick fighting combat sport. No one can tell what way the blade is facing and you have to hit hard enough to cause bludgeoning damage without swinging from the shoulder. It is also reliant on rules - no hitting below the knees and no grabbing means people are free to lead a leg ahead of the shield and keep a static posture.

All and all it is fun game but I don't think it is intellectually stimulating on any level. I think it is better as a sewing / fishing / camping club than as a world of Conan stick sport.
I think SCA should allow lower leg shot and grappling and I'm not the only one. We also have the ability to spar with those rules taken out ( as I plan to),just cant do it in battle. How is that than any other combat sport? Amatuer Wrestling relies on the fact that there's no submissions, Boxing relies on the fact that theres no wrestling and thet you can only punch, BJJ relies on the guard and Muay Thai Relies on the fact that theres no double legs or submissions. SCA is a spefic rule set its not the MMA of swordfighting. Hey You have the weapons and or the armor youre more than welcome to spar any ruleset you want.

Theres a bunch of SCA guts that do Botn or whatever and fight with steel swords. I may of said this already BoTN is cool and had sowrd fighting in it. But it also less safe and you win by knocking someone down. SCA is much more about precision stirking and id rather hit you full force and fake kill you, then throw you to the ground.

You must be new to MMA then.... Boxing and Wrestling go together like butter on toast, but last time I checked if I threw a right hook at wresting practice I'd be kicked out... I can look more into HEMA, there combat might be more relastic but there clothes arent even close to it. I'd rather fight in armor, trying to earn the rank of knight. Look great, and where historical clothing and armor. (No offense)
Than look like a ninja with a fencing mask.

I think SCA should allow lower leg shot and grappling and I'm not the only one. We also have the ability to spar with those rules taken out ( as I plan to),just cant do it in battle. How is that than any other combat sport? Amatuer Wrestling relies on the fact that there's no submissions, Boxing relies on the fact that theres no wrestling and thet you can only punch, BJJ relies on the guard and Muay Thai Relies on the fact that theres no double legs or submissions. SCA is a spefic rule set its not the MMA of swordfighting. Hey You have the weapons and or the armor youre more than welcome to spar any ruleset you want.

Theres a bunch of SCA guts that do Botn or whatever and fight with steel swords. I may of said this already BoTN is cool and had sowrd fighting in it. But it also less safe and you win by knocking someone down. SCA is much more about precision stirking and id rather hit you full force and fake kill you, then throw you to the ground.

I agree with you. I don't think it is different from other combat sports. I just don't like it.

You must be new to MMA then.... Boxing and Wrestling go together like butter on toast, but last time I checked if I threw a right hook at wresting practice I'd be kicked out... I can look more into HEMA, there combat might be more relastic but there clothes arent even close to it. I'd rather fight in armor, trying to earn the rank of knight. Look great, and where historical clothing and armor. (No offense)

personally I don't care about roleplaying as a knight and would rather dress in as little gear as possible to simulate unarmoured sword fighting.

The vast majority of the people doing heavy combat in SCA aren't wearing historically accurate armor. Its often an anachronistic mishmash of stuff thrown together.

The vast majority of the people doing heavy combat in SCA aren't wearing historically accurate armor. Its often an anachronistic mishmash of stuff thrown together.

And a lot of it might not even be real armor.

Yeah thats true, but they also have a lot of amazing kits you just have to find them. The greatness of these kits, is enough for me to be interested. A lot of these 14th ct guys are 100% accurate. I'm working/saving towards a 14th century kit similar to these, so most of these are 14th century but there's some awesome viking kits as well as other periods.

SCA event Combat of the Thirty.

Pennsic37030.jpg

1618275_10154914601005262_4156212531824496710_o.jpg

1966676_274107346090354_1344240518_n.jpg
66368c1af0458d23dd8705a05e3f3cea.jpg

Last edited:
Back