Media Sean O'Malley Says Title Shot is Next. Claims Critics "Wanted me to Lose in the First Place."

Glad you brought Shelby up. Remember this?

During an episode of The BrO'Malley Show on YouTube, Sean O’Malley revealed that he recently turned down an opportunity to fight at UFC 268. The MMA star also recalled a disagreement he had with UFC matchmaker Sean Shelby after he turned the fight down. He stated:

“I don’t even know if I’m supposed to say this…Sean Shelby was mad at me. Dude, I don’t wanna fight in New York. It’s far, the taxes are ridiculous, and Tim (Welch) has no-Gi or no, ADCC trials that weekend.” “And he told me that before I even potentially had a fight. So, that’s his thing, and I’m not gonna say, ‘No. I have a fight’. We’re doing it, especially when I could fight like a month later in Vegas. And Sean Shelby was just like, mad and like, ‘Fine. Go hang out with (American rapper) 6ix9ine’. Like, just acting like a f**king tool, dude. So, I don’t know if I should’ve said that or not. But it’s like, dude, come on. What do you do?”

Yeah, so, it’s like, ‘Cool, dude. Treat me like a piece of s**t’. No, it’s like, dude, I would rather not deal with him at all and just deal with (UFC president) Dana (White).

We have seen time and again how the UFC treats fighters who won't do exactly what they want when they want. We have court documents describing this sort of retaliatory behavior from the match makers. I mean, ffs, they tried to make Diaz vs Khamzat because Nate didn't want to re-sign. We know this happens.

<mma4>

That's a very solid point/rebuttal it slipped by mind but thanks for the reminder haha. If anything it makes Dana look like the reasonable one in this case because you're absolutely right that the UFC has done this before Dana especially.

All in all though Sean looked good and now everyone knows he's legit. Sucks for Yan tho. Still a fan and think they'll run it back down the line 100% dudes only 29 and was already Champion and I don't see him going the No Love route(<2>) He has it all at 135.

I think he provided a really nuanced, and accurate analysis of things. He admitted when things were close. And it's very true that people (especially here) let their feelings about a fighter influence who they thought won a decision. If you value takedowns more, you give it to Yan. If you value damage more, you give it to Sean. The judges valued damage more. It was a close fight but not a robbery at all.

At UFC 280, O’Malley took home a split decision win over Yan, in a result that had many calling the outcome a robbery, and raised rumors that Yan wants to move on from the UFC. But for O’Malley, now the UFC’s No. 1-ranked bantamweight, it was just a damn good fight.

The fight was undoubtedly close, with O’Malley out-landing Yan statistically but giving up a considerable amount of control time to the former champion. Still, a number of fans and fighters were apoplectic with the decision, but O’Malley maintains that anyone crying “robbery” are completely off the mark.

Robbery or not, O’Malley is now the top contender in the bantamweight division, but what comes next is still a bit up in the air. Champion Aljamain Sterling threw out several possible names for his next opponent, including O’Malley, and UFC President Dana White suggested Henry Cejudo may be next in line for a title shot. O’Malley himself isn’t quite willing to demand one next, but “Sugar” does believe he’s in position to make his 2023 championship prediction come true.

Link: https://www.mmafighting.com/2022/10...bery-you-wanted-me-to-lose-in-the-first-place

So......95% of the MMA world wanted him to lose and are just haters, including 100% of MMA media?

And that's not even considering his numerous glove grabs and fence grabs that ultimately let him survive rounds he would have died in. Saying it's "close" is just saying "cheating works - glove grabs prevent ground and pound and fence grabs prevent takedowns"

These are true statements, but just saying "it was close" leaves out all the pertinent details like, if he wasn't grabbing gloves and fences all fight long even HE would know he's not able to beat Yan in a fair match. But, even WITH all the cheating, 95% of the MMA world still thought he lost.

And instead of blaming his performance (which was great, just against a superior fighter) he blames "haters" like his idol 6'9 does for his self-inflicted woes.

I had some respect for the guy before. Not much, mind you - any guy who says "you're an idiot if you won't try heroin just because you're afraid you'll get addicted" loses my respect for his mind and thinking immediately. But I did respect him as a fighter. Seeing him cheat his way to a robbery, some say the biggest ever in the sport, has def made me lose respect for him as a fighter.

Still fun to watch, but I now think of him as a whining, self-justifying cheater, who can also fight well. So I'll watch his fights, but whereas my issues with him were not based on any "hate", as much as disgust at some of the things he does and says, now I have legit disgust with how he carries himself as a fighter, and I will be looking forward to him being humbled in the future. I kind of hope he gets that title shot with Aljo before Triple C does. I'd love Aljo to stomp a mudhole out his ass (pause) and then go on to fight 3C.

So maybe now I'm a hater, lol? I can overlook clown wigs and clown cars, but claiming definite wins in fights you lost even after cheating your best is low character to me and now I'll look forward to him getting crushed in the division.

So......95% of the MMA world wanted him to lose and are just haters, including 100% of MMA media?

And that's not even considering his numerous glove grabs and fence grabs that ultimately let him survive rounds he would have died in. Saying it's "close" is just saying "cheating works - glove grabs prevent ground and pound and fence grabs prevent takedowns"

These are true statements, but just saying "it was close" leaves out all the pertinent details like, if he wasn't grabbing gloves and fences all fight long even HE would know he's not able to beat Yan in a fair match. But, even WITH all the cheating, 95% of the MMA world still thought he lost.

And instead of blaming his performance (which was great, just against a superior fighter) he blames "haters" like his idol 6'9 does for his self-inflicted woes.

I had some respect for the guy before. Not much, mind you - any guy who says "you're an idiot if you won't try heroin just because you're afraid you'll get addicted" loses my respect for his mind and thinking immediately. But I did respect him as a fighter. Seeing him cheat his way to a robbery, some say the biggest ever in the sport, has def made me lose respect for him as a fighter.

Still fun to watch, but I now think of him as a whining, self-justifying cheater, who can also fight well. So I'll watch his fights, but whereas my issues with him were not based on any "hate", as much as disgust at some of the things he does and says, now I have legit disgust with how he carries himself as a fighter, and I will be looking forward to him being humbled in the future. I kind of hope he gets that title shot with Aljo before Triple C does. I'd love Aljo to stomp a mudhole out his ass (pause) and then go on to fight 3C.

So maybe now I'm a hater, lol? I can overlook clown wigs and clown cars, but claiming definite wins in fights you lost even after cheating your best is low character to me and now I'll look forward to him getting crushed in the division.
There's too much stupidity here to analyze line by line. I dislike this guy as much as anyone, but he won. WITHOUT QUESTION won. It's one of the few times the judges didn't fuck it up. How anyone can watch this and think it was a robbery is amazing.
95% of the MMA world still thought he lost.
95% of the MMA world are proven tards. Media people who have rewatched it are already taking back their initial reactions.

It's true.
If he lost, everyone would be talking about great the fight was and how well he performed against the number one contender. He would've have exceeded expectations.
But, now all people are talking about is ROBBERY.

Personally, I bet on Sean to win, so I was sitting there just hoping the last scorecard would be in his favor. I didn't think it was super clearcut.

In live time, I scored the first round for O'Malley, but it was close. The second round was clearly for Yan. The third was close, and I had it for Sean, until he gave up the late takedown. I thought that would've sealed it for Petr.

There's too much stupidity here to analyze line by line. I dislike this guy as much as anyone, but he won. WITHOUT QUESTION won. It's one of the few times the judges didn't fuck it up. How anyone can watch this and think it was a robbery is amazing.

Nope. We watched it and had it an easy 29-28 or 30-27 and that was without noticing the glove grabs and fence grabs. He didn't win, even WITH a question, and certainly not without one. His face at the end said that he knew that at the time as well.

By "easy" I mean they were well contested, close rounds. But there was no way he won 2 of them. Even with his cheating.

At UFC 280, O’Malley took home a split decision win over Yan, in a result that had many calling the outcome a robbery, and raised rumors that Yan wants to move on from the UFC. But for O’Malley, now the UFC’s No. 1-ranked bantamweight, it was just a damn good fight.

The fight was undoubtedly close, with O’Malley out-landing Yan statistically but giving up a considerable amount of control time to the former champion. Still, a number of fans and fighters were apoplectic with the decision, but O’Malley maintains that anyone crying “robbery” are completely off the mark.

Robbery or not, O’Malley is now the top contender in the bantamweight division, but what comes next is still a bit up in the air. Champion Aljamain Sterling threw out several possible names for his next opponent, including O’Malley, and UFC President Dana White suggested Henry Cejudo may be next in line for a title shot. O’Malley himself isn’t quite willing to demand one next, but “Sugar” does believe he’s in position to make his 2023 championship prediction come true.

Link: https://www.mmafighting.com/2022/10...bery-you-wanted-me-to-lose-in-the-first-place

I'm pleasantly surprised at what appears to be a fairly neutral stance, given I know your feelings on fight night. I applaud you for that at least!

I rate both very highly and neither one above the other. Well, that's not quite true, I rate Yan the top contender at BW equal with Sterling. Pound for pound I prefer Yan, but feel O Malley has the ability to trump Yan if he continues his development at the current rate.

Not sure if either can get over the hurdle that Sterling represents (damn wrestlers).

Confirmation Bias

con·fir·ma·tion bi·as
Learn to pronounce

noun
noun: confirmation bias

the tendency to search for, interpret, favor, and recall information in a way that confirms or supports one's prior beliefs or values.[1]People display this bias when they select information that supports their views, ignoring contrary information, or when they interpret ambiguous evidence as supporting their existing attitudes. The effect is strongest for desired outcomes, for emotionally charged issues, and for deeply entrenched beliefs.

AN EXAMPLE OF CONFIRMATION BIAS:
Petr Yan won that 30-27. No way Sugar tits is better than No Mercy!!! That fight wasn’t close at all!!! If you gave 1’malley round one you are delusional!!!
Weasel tell you that too?

It was a close fight, you're doing too much.

A win is a win, just like a lost is lost. I am glad to see Sean O Malley come out as the Victor. Looking forward to when he does get the title fight.

Lucky for him Dana wanted him to win.

Back