Sean Strickland Addresses Fighter Pay, Advises Against MMA Career

Should fighters be paid more?

• Total voters
No, the difference is that if you REALLY want to pass the bar, unless you're a moron you can. The areas aren't even comparable. Same with med school (again, unless you're slow). With MMA, you can be gifted, give 110%, train with the best, etc., and never even take-off in your career or cover bills. Becoming a successful career-long MMA fighter is WAAAAAAAAAY harder than becoming a lawyer or doctor in terms of % of success.
You're missing the point, which is that you can do everything right, work hard, etc. and still not make it, regardless of your career choice. Strickland is right, but MMA is far from the only profession like that.

Daddy Dana not forcing anyone to fight, if you don't like fighting then keep flipping burgers bitch!
Dana bless

Not denying what he saying... But ain't that pretty much the case for any major sport? You either make it big or you don't.

Yep I was thinking the same thing. People only see the top tier of any sport. The ones who made it.

Below that is the vast majority who never made it.

Can confirm. My brother wanted to be a pro fighter, had a few amateur fights, didn't really get anywhere with it, and is now a successful orthopedic surgeon.

How long did he train for and did he specialize in a style?

Yep I was thinking the same thing. People only see the top tier of any sport. The ones who made it.

Below that is the vast majority who never made it.

To add to that, those who do make it do not come out unscathed. Either injuries or dried up sponsorships creep forward.

Being a trainer and gym owner is a different skillet. Even if you make it, you do so on unstable ground.

Reactions: IDL
No, the difference is that if you REALLY want to pass the bar, unless you're a moron you can. The areas aren't even comparable. Same with med school (again, unless you're slow). With MMA, you can be gifted, give 110%, train with the best, etc., and never even take-off in your career or cover bills. Becoming a successful career-long MMA fighter is WAAAAAAAAAY harder than becoming a lawyer or doctor in terms of % of success.
It's true the % chance of career success is much lower in MMA, but this "anyone who's not a moron can become a lawyer or doctor" is the stupidest thing I've seen on Sherdog. Words of a youth who's never been in the real world, probably.

If you go to law school but don't pass the bar, you don't get to practice law. Med school, similar deal. I guess the difference is that you don't have to absorb a bunch of headshots before you learn you don't have what it takes.

Plenty of guys making well over 100k based on a law degree without attempting the bar.
Probably more over 100k than not.

He is not wrong. I have personally seen guys go down that exact road.

It's a fun and glorious sport to be a part of, but it really doesn't pay the bills.

It's true the % chance of career success is much lower in MMA, but this "anyone who's not a moron can become a lawyer or doctor" is the stupidest thing I've seen on Sherdog. Words of a youth who's never been in the real world, probably.

LOL at your blatantly projecting a narrative onto a stranger to support your own. Pushing 40 here, married, ex-fighter (ammy), with an MA and PhD. Meanwhile, I don't need to project anything onto you, nor do I care what you do. You've already proven yourself to be a naive moron, probably. Stupidest thing I've seen on Sherdog.
You can apply yourself to become a doctor. People all over the planet do it. If you have a normal functioning brain and the commitment, then there's little holding you back. Not so with MMA, almost regardless of your skill, hence that lower % of success, that you agree with.

P.S. Hey buddy, maaaaybe med school isn't for you lol

Sean Strickland is going to find himself on the cover of career suicide monthly if he keeps speaking his mind

Back