Secret to hard punching

bubba_yeah said:
Also, someone that can punch hard can be said to have heavy hands, That's meant to be figurative obviously. But do you think maybe Chuck and Fedor might have hands that weigh more than the others, with their hand bone density being thicker?

LOL!

I think hard punching is speed+technique, KO'ing people is diffrent though, Fedor is a hard puncher who will put a monster like Fujita down with a flash knockout but he wont get a "knockout" punch most times because it's not his technique, he doesnt go out there throwing just hooks to the chin following through on everyone of his punches like Igor V. or W. silva, The odds are better for him and safer if he doesnt stay in the middle and trade. its better for him to punch to knock guys down or punch on the ground, it doesnt mean he's not a hard puncher (nog body shots) he just keeps the fights he can to his strengths.

people might think Chuck L. is a harder puncher because he has more KO's

Chuck Liddel has a different body type than fedor and different weekneses. He would rather stay in the middle range (pocket) and fight, his game/technique is built around it. He's a KO puncher because his punches have so much weight behind them and he can load them up so quick, his left hand hangs way out to the side and if you look at it he'll surprise you with a straight right, and because it's so hard to see his left hook wind up, when you brace for punch from the right you might get one from the left or vice versa, not to mention a right uppercut "it's the punches you dont see". that with the fact that every punch is thrown over and over at the chin, combo after combo in complete focus makes him get a lot of KO's. that's his game.

Both of them are really big in the torso/abbs/core which is really important because after you throw your hips into a punch your body is the steel door that swings in behind your punch.

anyone cant learn diffrent techniques to become a harder puncher (pushoff from the backfoot, twist hips , throw shoulder, lock elbow, angles etc) but it's the strategy that gets you the KO's or gets you KO'd.

Frenious said:
you can make your punches harder by doing punching reps with dumbells in your fists. i started with 20's and worked my way up to 30's last year. soon i was hitting twice as hard. strong shoulders are also important

Give me a fuc***g break. You expect anyone to believe that you hold 30 pound dumbells at shoulder height and fire off punches with speed and proper form.

Hard punching comes from the legs and the hips. This is repeated ad nauseum in boxing. Regardless of how thick the bones in your hands are, unless you are throwing them at a 1000 mph, there isn't enough mass to create enough force. You start off with a strong base and push off with your legs while turning your hips and punch your hands. You get more of your body into the punch so the mass of the punch is higher even if the acceleration doesn't increase. This is the reason that although heavyweights don't have faster hands than say welterweights, their punching power is greater. (Look at Ali and Foreman, Ali had the fastest hands of any heavyweight at the time yet Foreman, whose hands were considerably slower, punched harder).

Well there's no secret fighters are born not made you have it or you don't. There's something every fighter has that makes him special that every fighting fanatic will see when the battle is fought.

kungfulish said:
Pivoting the foot is mainly done when throwing a hook. Your back foot doesnt pivot a whole lot when you throw a cross or straight.

What are you talking about? If you don't rotate when throwing a cross you are doing it wrong. The amount of accelaration you get is somewhat proportional to the angle of the rear foot. This is the reason why many wrestlers don't punch that hard until they are taught to keep the rear foot angled outward more. Perhaps you are think of the Karate style cross(thrown from the hip), but honestly that kind of cross does not get anywhere near the power of a boxing cross.

Oh yeah, if you don't pivot on the cross, you are throwing arm punches.

bigbabyjesus said:
Hard punching comes from the legs and the hips. This is repeated ad nauseum in boxing. Regardless of how thick the bones in your hands are, unless you are throwing them at a 1000 mph, there isn't enough mass to create enough force. You start off with a strong base and push off with your legs while turning your hips and punch your hands. You get more of your body into the punch so the mass of the punch is higher even if the acceleration doesn't increase. This is the reason that although heavyweights don't have faster hands than say welterweights, their punching power is greater. (Look at Ali and Foreman, Ali had the fastest hands of any heavyweight at the time yet Foreman, whose hands were considerably slower, punched harder).

Thank you.... agreed 100%. Tyson for instance, also had bvery thick legs and torso.

Eaglebox said:
Give me a fuc***g break. You expect anyone to believe that you hold 30 pound dumbells at shoulder height and fire off punches with speed and proper form.

Maybe he is Hong Man Choi...

Ohioan said:
When I lived in Vegas several years back, I trained David Tua w/ weights before his fight w/ Danell Nicholson. (At that point in his career, Tua definitely should've been spending more time in other training modalities, but that's another story.) I was SHOCKED the first time I shook hands w/ Tua. His hands are TINY for a heavyweight fighter.

I asked his then-manager Kevin Barry how Tua could be the HW division's most feared KO puncher while having such small hands. Barry told me that having small hands actually made Tua the big puncher he is, because the force his punches generate is applied to a more limited surface area. In other words, it's all about the PSI (pounds per square inch) of the force.

I guess that makes sense, in a sense. On the other hand, some feared punchers (usually clubbers, like Foreman) have huge hands, so this theory obviously doesn't apply universally.

Thought experiment: assume equal force is generated by the punches of two fighters. One has fists that have a contact area of, say, 8.0 square inches, and the other has fists that have a contact area of 11.0 square inches. I'd guess the guy w/ smaller fists would be relatively more effective on point-of-chin shots, which cause KOs via a lever action that spins the brain within its cranium. But the fighter w/ bigger fists might well have an advantage on side-of-head and temple shots, since these punches are going to cause a whole lot of gray matter to bounce off the opposite side of his opponent's skull.

This is only my opinion, of course. I could be wrong.

This is wrong because they both wear the same sized gloves, so the size of the hand inside the glove makes no difference. Now, the weight of the hand inside the glove does make a big difference. Just as anyone who knows anything of boxing knows that wearing 10 oz gloves actually cuases more damage (to the brain) and makes it easier to render someone unconscious, and that bare hands are more likely to cut and break bones. So, it's the weight that actually contributes to the KO. Someone like George Foreman with big hands and forearms the size of firelogs can KO the average man with a half swing. Look at it this way, take a piece of bamboo 18 inches long and 1 inc in diameter. It's very solid and hard and ungiving but also light. Take that piece of bamboo and whack your friend off the top of the head with it and it will sting and raise a good knot on top of his head but won't really jar him or even come close to KO'ing him. Now, take a lead pipe of the same 18 inch by 1" dia. dimensions. It's outside is equally hard as the bamboo shell but is very heavy. Rap your friend off the top of the head with that and even if you use a fifth of the speed you swung the bamboo at, he's going to be lucky to remain standing and luckier if he wakes up before wednsday.
It is true though as someone said, technique is very important, as is punching through an object rather than punching to an object. Aim your punch to end 6 inches in back of the head you're punching and see the difference. The wieght of the hand and arm doing the punching does count for alot too though once technique is proper.

zigzzagz said:
This is wrong because they both wear the same sized gloves, so the size of the hand inside the glove makes no difference. Now, the weight of the hand inside the glove does make a big difference. Just as anyone who knows anything of boxing knows that wearing 10 oz gloves actually cuases more damage (to the brain) and makes it easier to render someone unconscious, and that bare hands are more likely to cut and break bones. So, it's the weight that actually contributes to the KO. Someone like George Foreman with big hands and forearms the size of firelogs can KO the average man with a half swing. Look at it this way, take a piece of bamboo 18 inches long and 1 inc in diameter. It's very solid and hard and ungiving but also light. Take that piece of bamboo and whack your friend off the top of the head with it and it will sting and raise a good knot on top of his head but won't really jar him or even come close to KO'ing him. Now, take a lead pipe of the same 18 inch by 1" dia. dimensions. It's outside is equally hard as the bamboo shell but is very heavy. Rap your friend off the top of the head with that and even if you use a fifth of the speed you swung the bamboo at, he's going to be lucky to remain standing and luckier if he wakes up before wednsday.
It is true though as someone said, technique is very important, as is punching through an object rather than punching to an object. Aim your punch to end 6 inches in back of the head you're punching and see the difference. The wieght of the hand and arm doing the punching does count for alot too though once technique is proper.

f = m x a . lead is heavier than bamboo so of course it will generate more force. the difference between lead and bamboo is far greater than the difference between the weight of any 2 people's hands. i dont think the weight of a person's hands is a factor. the weight of their entire body and their ability to transfer that weight into whatever they are hitting is a factor however.

boxing gloves make it harder to ko a person as opposed to smaller or no gloves. if you dont know that you have never been hit with boxing gloves and without gloves.

if you do it right, it should. shadow boxing and technique work is important for punching power too. im sure thats been done to death in this thread though

Back