Secret to hard punching

bubba_yeah

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What allows someone to punch hard like Chuck, Cro Cop, and Fedor? Is it technique? Strength in legs(to push off)?

Also, someone that can punch hard can be said to have heavy hands, That's meant to be figurative obviously. But do you think maybe Chuck and Fedor might have hands that weigh more than the others, with their hand bone density being thicker?

Thoughts?

Sledgehammer to the tire every day for an hour. :)

Then punch some slabs of meat.

Speed. I'm assuming your not a fan of boxing. Speed and positioning is key, speed being the number 1 factor. There is a saying in boxing " The punch that you dont see is the punch that will knock you out ".

ViceStan said:
Speed. I'm assuming your not a fan of boxing. Speed and positioning is key, speed being the number 1 factor. There is a saying in boxing " The punch that you dont see is the punch that will knock you out ".

Yeah I agree.

But some people are just born with power as well.

please tell me you're joking about that 'heavy hands' theory???? .....:icon_neut

Power + Speed = KTFO Gained from Training Hard and not being afraid to take a punch to land a BOMB

trachtaker said:
Power + Speed = KTFO Gained from Training Hard and not being afraid to take a punch to land a BOMB

Force equals mass multiplied by accelaration.

You can develop it to some extent, but people with freakish power are born with it.

Kind of like I could train as hard as I wanted, but could never be an athlete like Barry Sanders, or be as hard a puncher as Mike Tyson.

I think a lot of it has to do with the frame of your body and it's range of motion. I don't think his hands are anything special by themselves but all of the muscles and bones in his and other "heavy hitters" shoulders, arms and back are put together in such a way that they can generate extra power. It's similar to batters and golfers with a sweet swing, guys like Ken griffey jr. (back in the day) and Tiger Woods just have the natural gifts that give them that extra bit of power to really lay into the ball. Of course technique and raw strength is important as well. Chuck's got that Happy Gilmore-esque physique that gives him the ability to knock people's lights out.

ViceStan said:
Force equals mass multiplied by accelaration.
Exactly. Mass x Acceleration. So if 2 dudes swung their hands at the same speed but 1 guy had heavier hands. Who would have more force?

Chuck and Fedor have great punching speed. Gomi has probably the same punching speed. The difference in force is the heavier hands, right? That's why I was thinking maybe Chuck and Fedor have unusally and literally "heavier" hands.

A lot of it is genetics. But technique and speed also play a role, but TIMING is paramount to KO'ing someone. There was an interview that I think was on this forum recently where Fedor described how his gnp style works for him, but not his brother possibly due to body type.

I train with some guys who are very fast but punch like a gnat, and others who are very slow but when they connect, sparring for that day is over.

Technique is the biggest part. I used to just punch average but after I started training with a muay thai and boxing coach I probably hit twice as hard as before, still hit like a girl though, lol. But I do have to say some people are just born with it. My younger brother is proabaly 30 lbs less than me and hits way harder. He is 6'0 165 and hits as hard or harder than most HW I have seen, some people just have natural abiltiy.

Fedor has the worst punching technique ever,...a very inaccurate pucher. Fedor can throw about 10 to 12 punches and 2 will actually land. I will always see Fedor as a submission/ground n pound fighter.

Some good hard punchers with pretty good technique:
HUNT
CROCOP
AA
Sylvia
Chuck
Sergei
Jerome Le Banner

Ultimately, no one in MMA has or will ever possess the KO power of TYSON.

bubba_yeah said:
Exactly. Mass x Acceleration. So if 2 dudes swung their hands at the same speed but 1 guy had heavier hands. Who would have more force?

Chuck and Fedor have great punching speed. Gomi has probably the same punching speed. The difference in force is the heavier hands, right? That's why I was thinking maybe Chuck and Fedor have unusally and literally "heavier" hands.

David Tua has small hands, and is one of the hardest punchers in boxing history, so I don't think it matters much at all.

Also, Fedor does not have very big hands, and isn't a one punch KO artist at all.

Back