• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Secret to hard punching

you can make your punches harder by doing punching reps with dumbells in your fists. i started with 20's and worked my way up to 30's last year. soon i was hitting twice as hard. strong shoulders are also important

bubba_yeah said:
Exactly. Mass x Acceleration. So if 2 dudes swung their hands at the same speed but 1 guy had heavier hands. Who would have more force?

Chuck and Fedor have great punching speed. Gomi has probably the same punching speed. The difference in force is the heavier hands, right? That's why I was thinking maybe Chuck and Fedor have unusally and literally "heavier" hands.

Uh no, some people have heavier bones but the difference is in grams not pounds. No one is born with huge striking power its a myth, technique is key. A good striker throws all of his weight into every punch and that plus the rate of accelaration equals force. Fox example, look Valuev, the Russian boxer, hes hugeeeee massive weight but he punches like a bitch, why?? because he doesnt plant his weight correctly and his hands arent fast enough. If you want to see devastating striking power look at Vladamir Klitschko, because of his technique he has some of the most accurate and heavy hands in boxing.

By the way since when has Fedor ever KO anybody?.......He is a submission artist,...what do u people see in his puching ability?....lol

Captain Beyond said:
By the way since when has Fedor ever KO anybody?.......He is a submission artist,...what do u people see in his puching ability?....lol

If your going to post a remark which is ignorant because of lack of knowledge then dont post at all.

bubba_yeah said:
Exactly. Mass x Acceleration. So if 2 dudes swung their hands at the same speed but 1 guy had heavier hands. Who would have more force?

Chuck and Fedor have great punching speed. Gomi has probably the same punching speed. The difference in force is the heavier hands, right? That's why I was thinking maybe Chuck and Fedor have unusally and literally "heavier" hands.

Mass x Acceleration.

You maximize both woth proper technique. You can be fast with crappy technique (throwing arm punches), while the slower guy using his full body is going to knock you out (if he catches you).

The more of your body weight that you can get behind your strikes the harder they will be. You use your legs, hip rotation, shoulders, arms, everything to drive more weight into the strike.

Accuracy is another biggie. Hitting someone on the forehead is not as good as hitting on the chin.

Timing your strikes by the way your opponent moves is something else to keep in mind. The more you can trick your opponent into giving you openings the more chances you have to applying your strikes.

When after time everything becomes natural you get a title belt around your waist. :)

Masterfulks said:
Mass x Acceleration.

You maximize both woth proper technique. You can be fast with crappy technique (throwing arm punches), while the slower guy using his full body is going to knock you out (if he catches you).

The more of your body weight that you can get behind your strikes the harder they will be. You use your legs, hip rotation, shoulders, arms, everything to drive more weight into the strike.

Accuracy is another biggie. Hitting someone on the forehead is not as good as hitting on the chin.

Timing your strikes by the way your opponent moves is something else to keep in mind. The more you can trick your opponent into giving you openings the more chances you have to applying your strikes.

When after time everything becomes natural you get a title belt around your waist. :)

Finnaly someone with some knowledge. Also look at dirty sanchez, that guy has 0 boxing technique he litteraly punches like a bitch.

ViceStan said:
If your going to post a remark which is ignorant because of lack of knowledge then dont post at all.

If anyone is ignorant,....its you!>.........answer the question! When has fedor ever KO anyone? It you need help i suggest fight finder at least....:rolleyes:

Good thoughts all around...

Matt Hughes, who's strong as an ox, has probably worked on his punching with Tim Sylvia for 6 years. He still punches like a girl, though. Do you think he'll ever get to say, Dan Henderson, level puncher?

bubba_yeah said:

Dude, the mass part in that theory (F=MA) pertains to the weight behind the vector; mostly your muscular exertion. The vector for the weight of your hands, being so light, is more in the direction of gravity. So if you want more punching power you would need to put as much muscular exertion behind your fist as fast as possible.

In other words, use the muscular contraction of your whole body and do it quick. Like Fedor basically.

Captain Beyond said:

Power

He KOed a couple guys in RINGS, Takada and Haseman. He is primarily a ground fighter though and is usually so much better than his opponents there that he prefers to fight on the ground, where he can be in complete control. If he didn't have the groundgame he would stand and trade a lot more and have a higher percentage of KO wins.

ViceStan said:
Finnaly someone with some knowledge. Also look at dirty sanchez, that guy has 0 boxing technique he litteraly punches like a bitch.

LOL. does diego do the dirty sanchez as well?

Captain Beyond said:
If anyone is ignorant,....its you!>.........answer the question! When has fedor ever KO anyone? It you need help i suggest fight finder at least....:rolleyes:

You need to stop watching Chuck highlights and actually go to the gym you fat bastard ( get in my belly! ). Anyway Fedor doesnt use his striking to ko people he uses it to set up take downs and submitt his opponents while there down. If you use your logic then you might as well go join the special olymplics, when has Mirko Ko'ed anyone without using his hands? when is the last time chuck Ko'd someone with 1 punch with out having to finnish up and with hammer fists. Do some homework before you post before you get bitch slapped by your local mma fans.

ViceStan said:

Having powerful punches is largely irrelevant to KO's. KO's mostly come from the direction your punches strike your opponent's chin. Chuck's a good example of this.

coolvalleydude said:
Good hips are important for punching power.

Check out the Fight Science KO video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQTzeQssFY8

first person to say it! pretty much any athletic motion comes from your hips. when you swing a bat, that force is generate from your hips. throwing a football is the same. when you punch, you generate most of your power from your hips...obviously genetics play a big role. i have really strong hips from deadlifts but i can't through a football very far because i don't have strong rotator cuffs. plus, it depends on how much fast twitch muscle fiber a person has vs. slow twitch which you can actually build up. chuck liddell doesn't seem to have very solid legs but im sure he has a lot of fast twitch fiber in his hips. a really strong core (back and abs) is important to because it keeps you tight and translates that power from your hips to your punch. if you watch tyson fight, he punches mainly from his hips. he has a firm stance and he never throws out reaching punches.....he stays tight in his upper body and just turns his hips (look at how big his legs are compared to other boxers he fought)

it also has a lot to do with technique. when i first started boxing, I new i could punch relatively hard for a beginner just because my legs are strong. then i would see guys who were like 20 lbs lighter than me but way more experienced and they would hit the shit out of the heavy bag.

ViceStan said:
Speed. I'm assuming your not a fan of boxing. Speed and positioning is key, speed being the number 1 factor. There is a saying in boxing " The punch that you dont see is the punch that will knock you out ".

That saying has nothing to do with speed.

Back