• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Secret to hard punching

Captain Beyond said:
By the way since when has Fedor ever KO anybody?.......He is a submission artist,...what do u people see in his puching ability?....lol
he overwhelmes his opponents....thats why. they can pretty much do nothing but cover up.

ViceStan said:
Uh no, some people have heavier bones but the difference is in grams not pounds. No one is born with huge striking power its a myth, technique is key. A good striker throws all of his weight into every punch and that plus the rate of accelaration equals force. Fox example, look Valuev, the Russian boxer, hes hugeeeee massive weight but he punches like a bitch, why?? because he doesnt plant his weight correctly and his hands arent fast enough. If you want to see devastating striking power look at Vladamir Klitschko, because of his technique he has some of the most accurate and heavy hands in boxing.

If being born with punching power is a myth, and technique is key, could you explain this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvirljx6ob4

Not much technique at all, and Foreman was KO'ing people as soon as he laced his gloves up. If you are not born with natural power, how come we haven't seen more fighters punching like that?

Yeah, it's speed.

Just like baseball...hitting the ball...it's about bat speed

Frenious said:
he overwhelmes his opponents....thats why. they can pretty much do nothing but cover up.

The only person to really KO people at heavyweight is IGOR, the bigger the guys the harder it is to knock them out with 1 punch. Fedor hurt most of his opponents with strikes before submiiting them.

Frenious said:
you can make your punches harder by doing punching reps with dumbells in your fists. i started with 20's and worked my way up to 30's last year. soon i was hitting twice as hard. strong shoulders are also important

that can severly dmg your rotator cuff(SP).

BTW, you don't need too much power to get the KO

so idk why the UFC calls it KO Power, More like KO accuracy

saint_berzerker said:
Yeah, it's speed.

Just like baseball...hitting the ball...it's about bat speed

If it was about speed, then 150 pound mexicans would be koing mirko.

Recoil_85 said:
If being born with punching power is a myth, and technique is key, could you explain this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvirljx6ob4

Not much technique at all, and Foreman was KO'ing people as soon as he laced his gloves up. If you are not born with natural power, how come we haven't seen more fighters punching like that?

Accuracy speed and using his body mass, most of the early guys that Foreman ko'd would pretty much stand there while he landed shot after shot.

you really need to figure out what kind of punch best suits your body type, if your shorter and stocky you will probly have more power in your hooks and overhand punches or if your taller and lenky you want straight punches jabs and crosses or wider hooks its really depends on how your built whether your punching up or down and most of all technique, angles proper leg movement stuff like that but its different for everybody notice that crocop throws straight punches while fedor swings wide and chuck whips his whole body into his punches and throws every punch as hard as he can which is why he t ends to get tired in the later rounds, or notice Wand has those big shoulders and upper arms and he throws those crazy all shoulder punches, theres really no one answer to the question its just people figuring out what works to get the most power out of there punches and working on it alot, plus they are just bor with some of it

bubba_yeah said:
What allows someone to punch hard like Chuck, Cro Cop, and Fedor? Is it technique? Strength in legs(to push off)?

Also, someone that can punch hard can be said to have heavy hands, That's meant to be figurative obviously. But do you think maybe Chuck and Fedor might have hands that weigh more than the others, with their hand bone density being thicker?

Thoughts?

Its just natural buddy, cant be taught it

"Fedor has the worst punching technique ever,...a very inaccurate pucher. Fedor can throw about 10 to 12 punches and 2 will actually land. I will always see Fedor as a submission/ground n pound fighter.

Some good hard punchers with pretty good technique:
HUNT
CROCOP
AA
Sylvia
Chuck
Sergei
Jerome Le Banner"

How can you criticise Fedor's technique then say Hunt has good technique.

Newsflash: Hunt's technique is horrible by professional standards. The guy has an iron head stands in the center of the ring takes shots throws a few sloppy shots, one of them lands behind his 290 lb overweight Tank Abbott-like mass and people get hurt.

Actually Hunt IS Tank Abbott if the guy had a jaw made it nigh impossible to KO him.

OdinPatrick said:
If it was about speed, then 150 pound mexicans would be koing mirko.

The higher your weight the more punishment you can absorb. There are alot of knock outs in boxing from featherweight and up,

viruswitshoes said:
exactly, good core strength is key for any athlete. it also helps to develop the punch to where it reaches maximum force at the point of impact. that has mostly to do with technique.
Dude, that boxing guy looked like he weighed a lot more than the kung Fu or the karate guys. Obviously, he'll punch harder

Id say the ability to harness potential energy ...there is an equation I could give you based on several scientific factors but I would only confuse most lay people on here. Suffice to say you wouldnt understand

ViceStan said:
Accuracy speed and using his body mass, most of the early guys that Foreman ko'd would pretty much stand there while he landed shot after shot.

1. Foreman was not particularly accurate, he bludgened his opponents into a concussion, even through their defense

2. Nor was he particularly fast

3. Foreman could punch with just his arms, and still KO people without pushing his weight into a punch

4. Joe Frazier certainly did not just stand there

5. You still haven't explained that if nobody is born with natural power and it is all technique, how come Foreman (and others like Tyson, Bob Foster, Julian Jackson etc) could KO people as soon as they started boxing?

punching doesnt jus stem from the arms like most people said its abuot technique push up with the leg the energy flows threw the hip turn the hips that energy go to the shoulder shoulder to arm arm to hand and hand to face that equals hard punching.

Im a boxer and i was always told to throw my body into it...i weigh 205lbs and im a southpaw...when i throw a left i lean my body into it and hit with 205lbs of force :)

crodor2 said:
Id say the ability to harness potential energy ...there is an equation I could give you based on several scientific factors but I would only confuse most lay people on here. Suffice to say you wouldnt understand

You're being funny huh? We're talking about force here, not potential energy. That would be pertinent if your muscles were like rubber bands.

Back