Sergei is nothing new or special.

I love Jones I just want to see him fight the 1-style that has avoided him his entire career. He's never faced a huge 1-punch killer like Rumble, Francis, or Pavlovich.

ONLY Jones’ fans DON’T want to see the fight. So just drop the blase, ho hum, attitude, pal.

You aren’t fooling anybody.

2Uj.gif

I actually think his ability to dead these guys while not winging wild shots is relatively special. The way he wrecked Blaydes without over committing or throwing himself out of position was pretty impressive.

Except we haven't yet seen what Pav can do in the grappling game; we don't yet know whether he is or isn't one-dimensional. He surely trains grappling, but whether or not he is another Gane remains to be seen.

This is the fight everyone wants to see, as it is champ against top contender, and is the fight that is supposed to happen.

Yeah, but you know the state of HW. He does seem better than the average heavyweight, by a wide margin IMO, and that's a good thing for the division. I'm waiting to see his next fights before getting overly enthusiastic though. I'd actually like to see him against Ciryl (IIRC, that's what Gane wants too). Also, Gane is still ranked 1st contender, so it's a good idea for anyone to try and beat him, nearly guaranteed title shot.

I know a lot of people want him to fight Jones, but if JJ/Stipe is bound to happen next, and if Pavlovitch wanna stay active, he has everything to win by fighting Gane (well except the belt lol), and Ciryl also needs a good win.

If Jones and Stipe actually fight in November, AND both retire after that fight (which seems to be a possible outcome), then I hope the UFC can organize a decent transition.

Tom talking about a return for 2023 too. I'm having high hopes for the lad, I hope the injury won't ruin his career. I'm not sure it's realistic to include him in championship talks yet, though. But I can see him being a big problem for anyone in the future.

Sergei vs Jones isn't the fight that the 'die hard fans' want to see, it's a fight the die hard jones haters want to see. This is Alex Pereria all over again just at HW. In fact that's an insult to Alex, because Alex really is a marvel at Muay Thai. Sergei is just another explosive youngish HW.

<Fedor23>

We've been here before. In the ridiculously and historically talent-thin HW division it never took much for a decent puncher with heavy hands to rise to the top fairly quickly. I remember when Shane Carwin was doing the same, I remember when Junior Dos Santos was doing the same. Hell if you go back far enough there was a time when motherfucking Todd Duffee was doing the same. That's just the nature of the division.

<{titihmm}>

Now this isn't to say that Sergei is bad, he's just nothing revolutionary. His hand-speed is above average, his footwork is meh, and his chin aint all that. Now in the joke that is the HW division, all of that is more than enough to rise to the top. But lets not pretend that this is some new boogeyman challenge that Jon or even Cyril Gane hasn't seen before.
1242236350.0.jpg

There is a reason that Pav fans don't want him to fight Gane and it isn't the reason they are telling you.
<BC1>

I think you're incorrect. I think most people want to see him fight Jones because he actually presents a very tough challenge for Jones. It's the of fighter that has given Jones problems in the the past and nearly took his 0. This time just bigger, same frame and at HW with more power. Many fans have been waiting on Jones to fight at HW for like a decade and finally he moved. Fans just want to see him fight the best guys in the division.

This is like Gus back in 2013, a guy who fans thought would give him the toughest fight cause of his height, reach and boxing.

And Jones has never seen a challenge like his before. He's fought guys with big power and boxing like Glover. And then you had guys like Gus and Reyes who had the frame to match Jones with great hands. But he's never fought a combo of the two, a guy with big power, who matches Jon in reach and size. And at HW. He isn't anything revolutionary, we've had HWs with power and boxing for many years. But it's still a very interesting fight and one we haven't seen Jon in. In the mid 2010's, the guys who everyone said will give Jon the most problems were JDS and Stipe.

You're also right that Jones haters wanna see this fight to see him lose, I don't doubt that. But otherwise, this is a great fight for fans to see who don't have a bias and just wanna see Jones take on a tough challenge at HW.

Last edited:
“We’ve seen this before.” Except that he has set the UFC record for consecutive first round knockouts, which, by definition, means we’ve never seen this before.

Todd Dufffe never beat anyone ranked.

JDS was way better then Sergei.

Sergei ist just young in a old division, big strong and can bang. Nothing revolutionary but a strong streaking guy. Actually we haven't seen that much apart from boxing for 2 minutes.

“We’ve seen this before.” Except that he has set the UFC record for consecutive first round knockouts, which, by definition, means we’ve never seen this before.
And we've seen Jon before. Knocking down all the chips haters want to bring to his feet. This is almost as fun as the Conor sloppers in 2015.

Sergei vs Jones isn't the fight that the 'die hard fans' want to see, it's a fight the die hard jones haters want to see. This is Alex Pereria all over again just at HW. In fact that's an insult to Alex, because Alex really is a marvel at Muay Thai. Sergei is just another explosive youngish HW.

<Fedor23>

We've been here before. In the ridiculously and historically talent-thin HW division it never took much for a decent puncher with heavy hands to rise to the top fairly quickly. I remember when Shane Carwin was doing the same, I remember when Junior Dos Santos was doing the same. Hell if you go back far enough there was a time when motherfucking Todd Duffee was doing the same. That's just the nature of the division.

<{titihmm}>

Now this isn't to say that Sergei is bad, he's just nothing revolutionary. His hand-speed is above average, his footwork is meh, and his chin aint all that. Now in the joke that is the HW division, all of that is more than enough to rise to the top. But lets not pretend that this is some new boogeyman challenge that Jon or even Cyril Gane hasn't seen before.
1242236350.0.jpg

There is a reason that Pav fans don't want him to fight Gane and it isn't the reason they are telling you.
<BC1>
Well put
<PlusJuan>

I love Jones I just want to see him fight the 1-style that has avoided him his entire career. He's never faced a huge 1-punch killer like Rumble, Francis, or Pavlovich.

So Rampage never one punch KO anyone or Glover, Santos etc…? Jones never fought a power puncher?

Me and OP share a lot of the same feelings here.

It was Gane before Pav. People latch onto the up and comer having some success. Then, here particularly, hype starts getting blown beyond reality and they're barely into fighting top 10 but they're "the future."

Throw Jones in that equation and yeah, his haters start foaming at the mouth.

I honestly believe, in historic terms, Stipe means more. Said it before, 50 years from now when broad stroke details are all that are remembered, fighting the guy that had the most UFC HW title defenses, etc, will mean more than the up and comer that may or may not be remembered at all depending how his career matures. iiwii, and I get why Jon would want one over the other.

Stop having fun MMA fans.

The best ever happened already, I saw it, and you won't.

Watching you get excited for non-goats is so casual.

He's never competed in muay thai in his life, it's just a weird thing to note since that's not what he's best known for.
I think he was just embarrassed that you called him out on his lack of knowledge in putting Alex in his proper sport.

He's special in the sense that he's huge, not fat, has power and has been finishing guys left and right. I think he's green and has holes but you don't get many athletes in the HW division that actually do well and he's one of them. Any bit of excitement at HW is fine by me. But yeah, he's not revolutionary or anything. Just a good fighter.

Back