Serious talk( real posts only)

Paolo Delutis

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Hey Sherbros and shergals, as some of you might know this year I'll be trying to get more competitive with my training and would like to complete my first MMA fight in 2019.As part of my preparation I've been thinking about the intangibles and hidden qualities fighters possess that can make all the difference. I'm talking about things like heart, honour, will, confidence, visualization skills,circumstances of their up bringing, motivation.

How do you guys feel about these and any others I missed please add and how much they can affect someone fight wise.

For me I think it's a huge part, just having a belief in oneself is extremely hard, to maintain and even conceive for most to drive them to compete at the fullest how many times have we heard people say this guy's a killer in the gym but fight night they can't get it off.. That's a belief issue.

What about confidence, look at McGregor the guy is the poster boy for what self confidence can do for yourself, I have my own beef with Conor that I've made clear on here several times but the guy really does believe in what he brings to the table and has kept that confidence regardless of he's wins or losses.

Then there's honour and respect I think this is key to longevity in MMA, if your fighting for a higher cause or purpose then filling your bank account if your motivation is coming out of a place deeper then fame, fortune you can keep going no matter what happens in your career.
Good example of this would be GSP, yes he's made his money and all that but he didn't do it for that he did it because he wanted to be the best, he wanted to show his martial arts game was better that he's still progressing, he wanted the competition he respected the challenge each one brought, even in the loss to Serra he was honourable in defeat and came back better he rose to meet what would of been at the time a scary challenge, just look at Ronda and how she never recovered from her losses...GSP respected the game and knew even though he lost it wasnt over just new challenge

Then you have heart, my person favorite you can't teach it or gain you either have it or you don't and I 100% believe it can change a fight in a heart beat regardless of skill difference or even size. Fighting has all always be a battle of wills all combat follows this principle from battles of 1000 Vs 1000 or 1 on 1 ...its a clash of heart and I've always had a deep admiration for fighters who fight with heart win or lose these guys and girls are in it till the end and some great comebacks have come from nothing but heart alone. It must feel amazing to know going into battle you wont break, Diego Sanchez ,Robbie lawler,darren elkins come to mind for this among many others but these three just lay it on the line everytime and are always dangerous I swear Robbie was born on battlefield somewhere lol the guy just lives and thrives in the fire in the trenches.. Just battling and coming out the winner it's great to see and admire. .

I could go on all day but please add more?

Greg Jackson always talks about visualization, meditation etc

HVNBWD5.gif

(This is a fake post as such it has been removed automatically by sherdog forums in accordance to TS' request)

Visualize it. Visualization is key. It's like getting extra repetitions in the gym. Visualize techniques, visualize winning, visualize talking to Joe Rogan, all of it.

Do they have Ammy MMA in Ontario?

This was the main issue for me coming up, I started training in like 2007 ,MMA was still illegal here and Ontario is still highly biased towards MMA so it's hard for promotions to survive alot have come and gone since legal status, I'm currently in search of one's.. So far TKO MMA out of Montreal where GSP use to stomp is the only one that seems be well put together and actually hosting regular events.. But I think only on a pro level

you will get far more useful advice (and a lack of lazy or troll responses) in the striking and grappling sub-forums.

Visualize it. Visualization is key. It's like getting extra repetitions in the gym. Visualize techniques, visualize winning, visualize talking to Joe Rogan, all of it.

Yes I agree, just watching or thinking of different scenarios and answers to those in the mind is a wicked weapon, and visualizing techniques and there steps helps speed your transitions up in real life the understandings of the moving parts allows you to react quicker

you will get far more useful advice (and a lack of lazy or troll responses) in the striking and grappling sub-forums.

More traffic here though..i have faith some good answers will come

"Hard work. Dedication. Yeeeeaaaahhhh."
- Kenny "Money" Florian

"Conceive, believe, achieve. Shut the fuck up!"
- Kenny "The Count" Florian

Back