Seriously, what the hell happened to Chinese Food?

Most American Chinese food sucks anyway. The only decent ones are in Chinatown in major cities. Too much sugar, too much deep frying, too much salt. Panda Express is epitome of trash American Chinese food.

I'd rather go for Japanese or Korean.

You have to go to nice, sit down places to get good Chinese food. It's not like Mexican or other types of food where the rinky dink hole in the wall restaurants are often times the best. Hole in the wall Chinese places always suck
I have never eaten at a Chinese place where the food wasn't cooked by Chinese people, just sayin..

Go to the place with no white people. Guaranteed to be at least decent.

you need to go to the east side.. seattle chinese food sucks ass

I remember a time when Chinese food was a sure bet. Saturday night, feeling lazy, don't wanna cook. Aha! Just order Chinese! Problem solved. A cheap, tasty meal that'll fill you up, and there'll be enough for tomorrow too!

But now those days seem over. I live in Seattle and the Chinese food here is a disgrace. It has gone to hell over the past decade. The quality control and attention to detail are non-existent compared to the past. Getting fresh food from these places has gone from being the norm to being a matter of dumb luck. The Chinese restaurants here have become the average fast food joints they were battling against: lifeless, love-less assembly lines. Just crank out the orders, fuck the customers, they'll pay anyways. Fry chicken in month-old grease, serve stale rice from Tuesday on Sunday, barely edible veggies on the verge of rotting. I could go on.

But it's not just here in Seattle. I've had Chinese in 5 cities over the past 2 years and I kid you not: None and I MEAN NONE of these places were good. Portland, Newark NJ, NYC, Chicago, Aurora. Chinese food in all of those cities sucked.

So it's a pattern I supposed. These bastions of American cuisine are no longer worth the squeeze. Pizza is now officially my go-to when I'm lazy and don't know what to eat. And that makes me sad.
Panda Express showed them how low the bar can truly be set and still make money

Also c’mon, there are really authentic Chinese restaurants in NYC, are you sure you know where to look?

Also if you want good authentic Chinese food without doing the work of finding a good restaurant, going to a Dim Sum place is a good bet

It has the additional benefit that you just point at what you want, so you can get authentic things without having to know their Chinese names

go to the east side since seattle chinese sucks ass

baron's
din tai fung (multiple locations)
dough zone (multiple locations)
top gun
facing east
dolar shop
little sheep
liyshou

xian noodle in the university district

these are my regular chinese joints i go to all the time

Din Tai Fung in Seattle is friggin' amazing. It's right near the convention center and has incredible Chinese food from around the country, but with Taiwanese influence. The original is in the Taipei 101 Tower and the food tastes almost the exact same in both.

There's also another place up the street called Chengdu Taste, which is good Sichuan cuisine if you like spicy food.

There's also Biang Biang Noodles up the street from both of those, which is also really tasty--northwestern Chinese food with Muslim spices and incredibly savory noodles.

Try harder.

Din Tai Fung is excellent, I think the Taipei location has a michelin star.

OP, have you ever had proper xiao long bao?

Constantly using the same cheap oil doesn’t help.

I've had the same problem in St. Louis.

First, I thought it was just the spots I used to go had lost their way, but everywhere I try is sh!t these days.

At the same time, we have far more Thai places now, and most of them are pretty solid.

Maybe the food is the same as it's always been and our standards are rising with age?

(Americanized) Chinese food has always been awful in my experience. I consider the Mandarin to be one of the worst abominations ever created.

We have about 8 Chinese places where I live. Most are trash other than one higher end / higher priced Restaurant which is good, but we have one OUTSTANDING takeaway.

You literally have to call way ahead of them opening and if you call after 5:00pm on a weekend you can forget about it as they'll be constantly engaged.

The food is fresh, really well cooked, flavoursome and never greasy. Customer service is great too - I was craving it on my Birthday weekend but couldn't get through so I dropped them a message on Facebook and they replied asking me for my number so they could call me.

They even threw in some free Spring Rolls as it was my Birthday - bravo!

the place i goto is still good, but it's chinese-peruvian.
it's always busy compared to the other 4 chinese places within 2 blocks of it, doesn't offer delivery, and is more expensive, but it's worth it.

Back