Movies SHANG-CHI (Crosses $400 Million Worldwide, Becomes Highest U.S. Grossing Movie of Pandemic Era)

If you have seen SHANG-CHI AND THE LEGEND OF THE TEN RINGS, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
Seasons 1 & 2 of Daredevil are criminally underrated. Some of the best MCU stuff out there (despite how much adult content they cut).
Also, for what my money is worth, the best/most authentic version of Punisher ever presented outside of comics.

Are they actually underrated though? As far as I can tell, everyone loves them. They're less prominent than their big ticket items, sure, but they tend to be rated very highly.

I'm guessing MCU Mandarin was wasted instead of used as a big multi-movie baddie. I still prefer finger rings.

Movie sucked ass. Uninteresting characters and a shit story. Watched about 80% of it and cut it off.

Train fight scene was bomb

they further butchered mandarin into oblivion

I hate what they did with the rings, IM3 still pisses me off when I think of what they did to mandarin

Movie sucked ass. Uninteresting characters and a shit story. Watched about 80% of it and cut it off.
*sigh*

Yes. I just watched it. The narrative at the beginning is oversimplified to the point of insulting intelligence. It actually felt DATED. Like, marvel had its thing 2010-2018, and trying to do it, forcing it, feels weird and dated. It’s time for a slightly different way of doing it.

*sigh*
The people that made this movie were not comfortable with the Asian cast. It’s hard to explain, but it just did not flow naturally at all. At all. It could have been much, much better. I almost.. Felt bad for it?? Idk man.. But it was kind of cringey in its formulaic simplicity, obvious difficulty in dealing with the characters kind of having their “identity” being a “thing,” and just in general. Cringey. Skip this and rewatch kung fu hustle…. were those people unavailable??

EDIT

I did not make it through the last 3rd. If the final act was the best, let me know. Maybe it could jump from a 4 to a 6 or something.

Marvel related: should I have seen The Eternals already before beginning Hawkeye?

*sigh*

Yes. I just watched it. The narrative at the beginning is oversimplified to the point of insulting intelligence. It actually felt DATED. Like, marvel had its thing 2010-2018, and trying to do it, forcing it, feels weird and dated. It’s time for a slightly different way of doing it.

*sigh*
The people that made this movie were not comfortable with the Asian cast. It’s hard to explain, but it just did not flow naturally at all. At all. It could have been much, much better. I almost.. Felt bad for it?? Idk man.. But it was kind of cringey in its formulaic simplicity, obvious difficulty in dealing with the characters kind of having their “identity” being a “thing,” and just in general. Cringey. Skip this and rewatch kung fu hustle…. were those people unavailable??
old man land lord from Kung fu hustle was in Shang chi

Of all the love interests in the MCU, Shang Chi's definitely getting the shortest end of the stick (pun not fully intended but definitely implied).

Of all the love interests in the MCU, Shang Chi's definitely getting the shortest end of the stick (pun not fully intended but definitely implied).
Yeah that woman is gross and annoying.

Overall I liked it but I rarely watch movies so I'm usually not critical.

Finally watched it.

I thought overall it was good, not great. The story never lived up to its potential and was full of too much exposition and lazy stereotypical dialogue and fantasy elements.

The first act was very good and interesting with some great action scenes and fights with 1 crazy marvel character I wasnt expecting.

Second half slowly delves into fantasy more and by the 3rd act it's a full out CGI fest on top of what seemed like a copy and paste of black panther.

I heard some compare or say this was the best fight choreographed movie since the raid....and it wasnt. I'd dare call that comparison disrespectful. I wanted more raw fight choreography but there was too much marvel flashiness involved in it.

I'd say a solid 7/10

7/10.
Not gonna lie, it's nice getting an Asian hero thats not just some recoloring of an already existing hero. Does feel annoying when every Asian dude in a movie has to be a Kung Fu Manchu MF though.

As for the fights, I prefer grittier combat like Spiderman vs Goblin in No Way Home, or Winter Soldier vs Cap. They capture that kind of action in the Bus scene, but fall right into flashy generic Kung fu moves later on. The whole ring idea was an interesting take. Not sure if I agree with it, but it is unique and may add a fun dynamic to any team ups later on.

Overall, this is the most Disney feeling movie with it's fantasy approach to things.

One last thought, poor Shang-Chi's love interest seems rather bottom of the barrel compared to the other heroes.

better acting, better story, better cgi, better Asians.

come at me blo!

Nothing to come at. CGI is debatable which is better but Kung Fu Hustle is one of the best movies in HK cinema while Shang-Chi is a mediocre MCU movie.

Nothing to come at. CGI is debatable which is better but Kung Fu Hustle is one of the best movies in HK cinema while Shang-Chi is a mediocre MCU movie.
KFH is one of those movies I will watch any time, day or night. His shaolin soccer was good but not as good. The fucking landlords in KFH were so hilarious. That deaf gal could get it (in her ear)

A Late to the Party review brought to you by bald bastard:

At a few points I thought it was a ballet movie and so feared it would degenerate into a musical. Acting was on point and Awkwafina surprised the hell out of me that I didn't find her annoying but rather endearing. I'm digging that this movie helped set up the next phase and is branching out from the Anglosphere. Hopefully we'll get more dragons along the way. A decent middling MCU fare that's worth watching.

Wong is everywhere man!

.5 turds, 3/5 stars. A solid meh rating.

Back