Sherbros age 40+.... are you still squatting deep?

Aren't high squats actually worse for the ligaments and tendons?
Worse in what way?
ATG crowd has pushed that forever but I don’t believe it for a second. You can strengthen everything through full ranges without ever performing full weighted squats.

There may be a depth that is the hardest on your knees to stop and reverse direction at (Id guess around parallel) but a quarter or half squat can’t be harder on your knees.

At 40, still hitting parallel.

I had an injury in 2019 that resulted in a severe abdominal strain + multiple hernias + internal and external hemmies + pelvic floor dysfunction + "sports hernia", so I only go truly heavy once a month or so.

Which is way less heavy than pre-injury :(

Been focusing on mobility and conditioning, and I do a lot more variations of squatting and deadlifting now.

41 - depth is still fine, but some days are better than others in regards to knee pain, hip issues, etc.

49 and I squat ATG with moderate weight. I don't think it's an age thing, unless you have a lot of accumulated wear and tear from poor form, and/or are regularly lifting heavier than you should. I didn't start squatting regularly until age 40 (switched focus from bro splits) and my form has improved since then. I've improved ROM everywhere but have an impingement in my right ankle that makes it harder - I didn't realize until mid 40's that ankle mobility not hip mobility was my limiting factor.

Re. hips, I've heard (and trained with a guy who confirmed) that Scottish ancestry can have some anatomical issue with their hips that make ATG ill advised. If that's you or you have pain going deep, use lighter weight and/or go above parallel. But barring that, I've never had issues going to depth. Until late 30's, I was about lifting as heavy as possible with limited ROM if necessary. But that's fucking stupid. I don't compete and just want to be healthy for as long as possible and for me, that's entailed more emphasis on flexibility and ROM, especially as I age and require more recovery. I'd rather go ATG with light/moderate weight than heavier above parallel. And doing this on all lifts including front squats, OH squats, snatch, etc. since turning 40 makes my joints feel healthier and less injury prone in grappling and daily life.

Last edited:
all machines for me these days, {leg press or hack squat}

Same for me... I'm 51. Plenty of leg/glute strength, but my hips/lower back don't like squats much. It just hurts... not in a good way.

For over-all strength training, I'll do leg presses... I can even let them come all the way down.

But I'll do lighter weights with kettlebell for a goblet squat. I just focus on the stretch at the bottom, pausing a couple seconds before coming back up. I guess its more like a post leg workout stretching routine. lol... Sounds weird, but its working for me these days.

I do miss the days of squatting a shit ton of weight... but I've put my ego in check in favor of longer term mobility help. Don't want to fuck up by overdoing one day and end up like Ronnie Coleman due to back issues (however unlikely that is)

Can you still do lunges or Bulgarian SS without the pain at bottom?

Re. hips, I've heard (and trained with a guy who confirmed it) that Scottish ancestry can have some anatomical issue with their hips that make ATG ill advised. If that's you or you have pain going deep, use lighter weight and/or go above parallel.

And ironically I am of Scottish ancestry. It all makes sense now lol. (Plays bagpipe mournfully).

I actually have heard roughly the same thing before about hip shape and northern European ancestry, I'd completely forgotten that. I don't think it was framed as just Scottish last time I heard it, but it was something about 'northern European types' or somesuch

Can you still do lunges or Bulgarian SS without the pain at bottom?

Not sure about my back, but my hip impingement really really does not like Bulgarian split squats, at all. Before my current back pain started, I tried Bulgarians 2 separate times and each time my hip hurt for like 3-4 months nonstop. (I tried it twice because I am very smart). My PT told me to knock it off. Haven't done lunges in a while, but after my Bulgarian experience I'm a bit leery. Actually I had kinda the same experience with trying a pistol squat now that I think of it.

That's why I was saying, maybe I should do just a machine. I said leg curl before but I meant the quad one where you're seated, not the hammy one. Figure it's full ROM and I know it doesn't bother my hip or back. I will say that the guy above who said something about isometric squatting does have me a bit intrigued, I may ask my PT

Not sure about my back, but my hip impingement really really does not like Bulgarian split squats, at all. Before my current back pain started, I tried Bulgarians 2 separate times and each time my hip hurt for like 3-4 months nonstop. (I tried it twice because I am very smart). My PT told me to knock it off. Haven't done lunges in a while, but after my Bulgarian experience I'm a bit leery. Actually I had kinda the same experience with trying a pistol squat now that I think of it.

That's why I was saying, maybe I should do just a machine. I said leg curl before but I meant the quad one where you're seated, not the hammy one. Figure it's full ROM and I know it doesn't bother my hip or back. I will say that the guy above who said something about isometric squatting does have me a bit intrigued, I may ask my PT
Nix those BSS if they hurt for sure. Most exercises have 3 or 4 alternatives to work same area. The seated quad extensions have hips and back pretty stable. Does your gym have one of the pendulum squat machines? That would keep back tight and may let you get a better squat in.
I don't have the lower balance to complete a pistol. Will lower rings to shoulder height and do them assisted style.

Best guess is some part of your body is weak. Faltering during the squat and throwing the whole thing off. Atg isn’t necessary but if you’re not competing you should be going low as you can for full range strength. I had some trouble too recently but just stretched more, did more one leg work, and slowed my descent down some to be more deliberate. No issues and am moving back up in weight. Squatted 405 for 3 fairly easily so this week it’ll be five, then up next week. That’s at 43. My weakness is my left ankle is shit. That led to a torn calf which was devastating to running squatting and so on.

Best guess is some part of your body is weak. Faltering during the squat and throwing the whole thing off. Atg isn’t necessary but if you’re not competing you should be going low as you can for full range strength. I had some trouble too recently but just stretched more, did more one leg work, and slowed my descent down some to be more deliberate. No issues and am moving back up in weight. Squatted 405 for 3 fairly easily so this week it’ll be five, then up next week. That’s at 43. My weakness is my left ankle is shit. That led to a torn calf which was devastating to running squatting and so on.

Hit exact parallel last night for a few sets and feel 'OK' today, as an update. A clear upgrade from going a bit below parallel last week.

Yeah weakness somewhere could be it. You think there's anything to all the psoas stuff out there? Lots of people talking about 'stretching' the psoas, lots of people talking about loosening it up maybe with foam rolling, a few people talking about strengthening it. It kinda sounds like astrology to me- the psoas is there but it's mysterious and you can never reach it directly, or something. But I dunno

Yes still deep squatting however, I’ve learned from Dorian Yates and others of the same ilk in that I do leg presses and leg extensions prior to squatting. This pre-exhausts my legs, so that I don’t have to use heavy weight when squatting as my 3rd exercise in. Thus mitigating the wear and tear on the body.

I'll be Squatting next week, for the first time in eight months. I'll be using an SS Bar and squatting to a bench. SS Bar because I had an operation on my left shoulder several months ago, and the bench so I don't have to worry about hitting parallel.

Hit exact parallel last night for a few sets and feel 'OK' today, as an update. A clear upgrade from going a bit below parallel last week.

Yeah weakness somewhere could be it. You think there's anything to all the psoas stuff out there? Lots of people talking about 'stretching' the psoas, lots of people talking about loosening it up maybe with foam rolling, a few people talking about strengthening it. It kinda sounds like astrology to me- the psoas is there but it's mysterious and you can never reach it directly, or something. But I dunno
I could write a book based on all the reading I’ve done to unduck myself. Start at your feet and move up. Wide to box shoes for one. Throw out whatever you’ve got and find a good pair. Zero drop is even better. If you can handle those go to wide toe zero drop barefoot shoes. If not just make sure they’re wide toe box. Your toes are meant to spread out and this tiny lack of muscle from narrow shoes moves the strain to your ankles, then knee, then hip, then low back. Just doing that made a difference but took a long time. All stretching is good stretching. I’m going to dive into knees over toes next

I'm 43 and I still squat ATG for lighter weights and then parallel for the heavier stuff. I find anything above parallel is actually worse for my knee ligaments.

I can't sing the praises enough of Original Strength and Aleks Salkins' 9 Minute Challenge. Tim Anderson has said these basic movements remap your brain's understanding of your body, clearing up dysfunction and removing protective limitations it puts on your strength, and I believe him because it worked magic for me.

If you get to the point where you can do something simple like this, where it feels smooth and gentle, your legs and hips (and even feet, torso and shoulders) will be ready to get back under heavy iron (time-stamped to 2:03):

Just turned 49 a coupla weeks ago. No squatting at all for the time being as I'm recovering from arthroscopy- torn meniscus/cartilage fragments/sprained MCL- but when I do squat, it's ass to grass. I don't push things, weightwise, preferring more reps/deeper squats. I'm more looking at long term stability and strength than hitting a particular # like I might've been as a young lad. My modest leg lifting is complemented by playing tennis 3x/week.

Under normal knee circumstances, I do a bit of legwork any day I lift, alternating between regular and Bulgarian split squats.

Worse in what way?
ATG crowd has pushed that forever but I don’t believe it for a second. You can strengthen everything through full ranges without ever performing full weighted squats.

There may be a depth that is the hardest on your knees to stop and reverse direction at (Id guess around parallel) but a quarter or half squat can’t be harder on your knees.
I mean if you're gonna quarter or half squat you may as well do trap bar dead's or some manner of lunge. No sense putting a barbell on your back.

Back