***Sherdog Exclusive***Beta Alanine Article, by David Barr

The tingling stays with me for about two hours with anything over 1.5mgs which is why I take the Biotest controled release version. I'm not fan of BT and their prices but this stuff does work as advertised and is competitively priced with the other BA pills out there. That tingling really, really fucks with my mood.

I'm sorry this is another noob question:
Do you guys just take 4-6grams PWO? And right before bed?
Or
Do you also take it on non training days?

Thanks, Yes I have browsed through this thread no one has said anything about taking it on non training days.

what do you all prefer...BA pill form or powder form?

Powder will always be cheaper. To me, easier to take, especially when doing higher doses

After reading the articles here, forum replies, and doing a bit of research, I decided to dive in and pick up creatine monohydrate and beta-alanine. I purchased them from GNC, creatine powder and BA pills (couldnt find powder)

First thing to mention about the store-brand pills, they're only 800mg each. Directions say to take 2 (1600mg total) 2 hours before, and 2 hours after workout (3200mg total) a day. 4 pretty big sized pills a day? I'd prefer powder in a heartbeat.

When first reading, i thought, "oh, tingling sensation in outer extremities, that could be fun!" Its more like having the tips of your ears and back of neck sunburnt. Its not that fun. Couldve been my upper legs, but that could also have just been ichy new compression shorts. I only get this effect after the first daily dosage, not the 2nd. Perhaps I'll take the advice and take my first dosage after my workout and second before bed.

Should I be doubling my dosage for the first 3 months? I'm not too worried about loading, esp since the pills are pretty big. Is 6000mg daily the typical healthy dose for the first 3 months, and then taper off to 3000mg daily? Or will 3000mg daily be fine.

After reading the articles here, forum replies, and doing a bit of research, I decided to dive in and pick up creatine monohydrate and beta-alanine. I purchased them from GNC, creatine powder and BA pills (couldnt find powder)

First thing to mention about the store-brand pills, they're only 800mg each. Directions say to take 2 (1600mg total) 2 hours before, and 2 hours after workout (3200mg total) a day. 4 pretty big sized pills a day? I'd prefer powder in a heartbeat.

When first reading, i thought, "oh, tingling sensation in outer extremities, that could be fun!" Its more like having the tips of your ears and back of neck sunburnt. Its not that fun. Couldve been my upper legs, but that could also have just been ichy new compression shorts. I only get this effect after the first daily dosage, not the 2nd. Perhaps I'll take the advice and take my first dosage after my workout and second before bed.

Should I be doubling my dosage for the first 3 months? I'm not too worried about loading, esp since the pills are pretty big. Is 6000mg daily the typical healthy dose for the first 3 months, and then taper off to 3000mg daily? Or will 3000mg daily be fine.

I don't use BA anymore but when I did I had it in powder form and took 6gms per day. I used to take it in the evening post workout. Reason is because it is a inhibitory neuro transmitter, so isn't ideal pre-workout, especially if you are using stimulants pre workout (i.e. caffeine).

The tingles sure are annoying and they never really got better for me, although I did learn to tolerate them after a while.

As far as loading/tapering - don't bother. Both creatine and ba have a saturation effect, so as long as you are taking it daily (6gms ba and 5-10 gms creatine - that's what I take/usd to take), then you should be fine.

In a few weeks when you have been using these things then please log your experience in the following thread, I'm curious about people's experiences with ba as overall I didn't rate it.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f15/beta-alanine-you-guys-still-taking-hows-going-981933/

thanks for the response. I'll be sure to post in that thread with an update on my progress. i keep a daily workout log (and try to keep it honest). In a few weeks I'll put my thoughts together and make a post regarding the effects. I've been in the gym and training JJ/MMA for the past year, so any big changes will be pretty easy to spot.

All this info is really helpful. However, I haven't seen anything about rest days. Should I take a daily dose on my rest days or only post workout during the loading phase? Any info would be aprreciated.

I must be a non responder.

I had a good brand prima force yet i never once got the tingling feeling.

even with very high doses.

like i say i felt no benefits from taking beta alaine and i took it consistantly for 12 weeks.

Tingles is not an indication of it working. It is a side effect for some.

I used BA for a while, didn't really notice the effects. However, Bulk Nutrition just sent me an email saying they're taking 78% off the price of their bulk BA. Guess it's time to give it another shot!

I don't know if this is a special offer for me only or for all customers but check it out if you're interested. I hope this doesn't sound like a commercial, just trying to save you guys some money.

Thanks, $13 for 500g is a hell of a deal

Everytime I take this I feel nausia for 30-60 minutes, then all is fine again. This really sucks because now I can't take it 30 minutes before training... Should I lower the dose? I'm still in the loading phase taking 4gr in the morning and pre-workout.

Oops nevermind, I found the answer in the topic of the post you gave the link to. Thanks!

Do you think cheaper brands could be less pure? I mean...beta alanine is beta alanine, so how could differing brands vary so much in cost? Why would companies charge far more? Brand loyalty?

Does anyone have a favourite brand?

I've been taking GNC's on and off for over a year. And I can't stand their pills. I call them horse pills. It's not the size... I take bigger vitC pills. It's just the surface of them that makes me want to gag.

Furthermore, does anyone have any tips for getting over stomach discomfort from BA? Or know why I may be getting it?

I never had problems with BA the first time I took it back in 2008. Took it for months. Tingle wore off within a couple weeks. I remember sort of liking the tingle.

But I stopped for a while, and since this summer, I've been trying to get back into taking it.... and it just makes me feel uncomfortable. Maybe it's a side-effect of taking it with my protein shake and feeling bloated? Maybe a side effect of taking it soon/with creatine?

It just makes me feel uncomfortable. Once I took it before bed (and also creatine) and I had extreme gastrol discomfort.

I don't think it's just the creatine... I take creatine 2x a day basically every day without any side effects like that. I know creatine can give a bit of gastrol discomfort, but never like I experienced from the beta alanine.

Anyone, basically, I'm just curious if anyone else has found that there are other supplements which you should not take within an hour of taking beta alanine because they result is uncomfortable side effects? Or when and with what you prefer taking it? And, lastly, if there are other brands which anyone likes more than these GNC horse pills?

I'm not sure if I've noticed a difference from them.... I did find myself with better surges when I started to get fatigued (or feel ready for excercise sooner), but since I stopped taking BA regularly, I started taking L-Glutamine. So it may be that... or just overall performance improves unrelated to supps... or just a sort of placebo effect, even.

Thanks! Any tips, I'd welcome.

//EDIT

"The "nausea" description from the previous page 12 sort of fits, too. I usually try to take at night... Maybe I'll just switch my creatine to morning and afternoon, and then take 3 BA pills evening, 3 before bed. And, for the next 2 weeks, just do 2/2.... When I take 1-2, it seems to be OK. GNC says 6 per day (and I remember meausring the dosage to be similar to what I read on Sherdog last year). But I'll try work myself back up to that. Even 1/1 a day at first, maybe.

Still, any thoughts on my pre-edit post are welcome :)

took this for several months, not sure ive seen any noticeable difference to be honest. not gonna get another order after this runs out

Back