PC Sherdog Gaming Laptop & Review Thread (OP Updated Apr-2019)

You said some dumb shit. Either have the good sense to slink away, or STFU, and spare me this snark.
Nah I know I hurt your feelings and you’re making shit personal now. What I said wasn’t stupid. A 70 class card performing close to the same as an 80 class card from 2019 is surprising, especially when the 4080 and 4090 showed such enormous leaps.

So type a lot and try to fool people on here I guess. How many gaming laptops have you owned btw?

Nah I know I hurt your feelings and you’re making shit personal now. What I said wasn’t stupid. A 70 class card performing close to the same as an 80 class card from 2019 is surprising, especially when the 4080 and 4090 showed such enormous leaps.
Are you determined to pile ignorant comment on top of ignorant comment ITT? You're batting a hundred just in this last page starting with your ignorance about the RTX 4000 series "jacked up" power draws.

Again, I don't follow the logic of discussing unrelated cards. The original comparison was the 3070 Ti Mobile to the 4070 Mobile, and what would surprise any informed observer is how bad the 4070 Mobile is. That's why that YouTuber was shitting on it.

Pertaining to this most recent post, you again veer off the issue at hand, yet still manage to be wrong...again. The RTX 4070 Mobile is two generations ahead of the RTX 2080 from 2019, so why would it performing similarly be surprising? No, what's surprising is that it's inferior in all aspects of rasterization except processing power, and even that is misleading because it's barely superior at other precision levels. Conversely, the 3070 Mobile is superior to the 1080 Mobile in every facet but texturing; just as the 2070 Mobile is superior to the 980 Mobile in every facet but texturing. Do you see how the 4070 is grossly underperforming relative to precedent?

2080 Mobile vs. 4
070 Mobile

Pixelation --------------> 101.8 GP/s vs. 81.4 GP/s
Texturing ---------------> 292.6 GT/s vs. 254.4 GT/s
VRAM speed ---------> 448.0 GB/s vs. 256.0 GB/s
Processing Power ---> 9.36 TFLOPs vs. 15.62 TFLOPS
Ray-Tracing -----------> 73.1 RT/s vs. 61.0 RT/s
VRAM Amount --------> 8GB vs. 8GB

Are you determined to pile ignorant comment on top of ignorant comment ITT? You're batting a hundred just in this last page starting with your ignorance about the RTX 4000 series "jacked up" power draws.

Again, I don't follow the logic of discussing unrelated cards. The original comparison was the 3070 Ti Mobile to the 4070 Mobile, and what would surprise any informed observer is how bad the 4070 Mobile is. That's why that YouTuber was shitting on it.

Pertaining to this most recent post, you again veer off the issue at hand, yet still manage to be wrong...again. The RTX 4070 Mobile is two generations ahead of the RTX 2080 from 2019, so why would it performing similarly be surprising? No, what's surprising is that it's inferior in all aspects of rasterization except processing power, and even that is misleading because it's barely superior at other precision levels. Conversely, the 3070 Mobile is superior to the 1080 Mobile in every facet but texturing; just as the 2070 Mobile is superior to the 980 Mobile in every facet but texturing. Do you see how the 4070 is grossly underperforming relative to precedent?

2080 Mobile vs. 4
070 Mobile

Pixelation --------------> 101.8 GP/s vs. 81.4 GP/s
Texturing ---------------> 292.6 GT/s vs. 254.4 GT/s
VRAM speed ---------> 448.0 GB/s vs. 256.0 GB/s
Processing Power ---> 9.36 TFLOPs vs. 15.62 TFLOPS
Ray-Tracing -----------> 73.1 RT/s vs. 61.0 RT/s
Was that a no?

Was that a no?
You're wrong, you won't admit it. Third time on this page alone. So spare me the posturing about that in the future. You're no different.

You're wrong, you won't admit it. Third time on this page alone. So spare me the posturing about that in the future. You're no different.
I did admit the time I saw wrong about the 4080 power draw. unlike you I don’t really mind admitting when I am wrong. On this I am not you are just being stupid about it. What I said is easily understandable. You’re just throwing up all the smokescreen you can. Go ahead I really don’t care. Any of the hobbyists in these threads see through it when you throw these weird fits, which is why you always seem to get into it with the long time builders.

Cling to that win about the 4080 power draw though.

Lol I was just reading a laptop review on Tom’s Hardware and my jaw almost dropped when I saw this quote in a review of a new 4070 laptop:

The frame rates we got from the Aorus 15X were disappointing, to say the least. We don’t know if there’s excessive throttling with the GPU in this laptop chassis, but we didn’t see the big generational performance jumps that we were expecting compared to existing GeForce RTX 3070 Ti laptops. We ran our benchmarks with the latest Nvidia Game Ready drivers and even tried the current Studio drivers. The performance difference between the two driver packages was negligible.

Almost the exact same thing I said… You should let them know how stupid they are @Madmick

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gigabyte-aorus-15x

Lol I was just reading a laptop review on Tom’s Hardware and my jaw almost dropped when I saw this quote in a review of a new 4070 laptop:

Almost the exact same thing I said… You should let them know how stupid they are @Madmick

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gigabyte-aorus-15x
You mean what I said in the post before yours?
Although I'm surprised at how weak the 4070 Mobile is. I never would have expected the 3070 Ti to be superior across the board, and by such significant amounts. You don't need real-world benchmarks to observe this, so finding a laptop with identical CPUs is unnecessary. One can speculate the 4070 only has a lower power draw and better energy efficiency as consolation.

3070 Ti Mobile vs. 4070 Mobile
Pixelation --------------> 135.4 GP/s vs. 81.4 GP/s (+66%)
Texturing ---------------> 259.4 GT/s vs. 254.4 GT/s (+6%)
VRAM speed ---------> 448.0 GB/s vs. 256.0 GB/s (+75%)
Processing Power ---> 16.60 TFLOPs vs. 15.62 TFLOPS (+6%)
Ray-Tracing -----------> 64.9 RT/s vs. 61.0 RT/s (+6%)
<LikeReally5>

I want to buy a laptop for 1400, with onboard videocard to browse and maybe some video.
Is the processor the latest generation : i7-12700H ?

Thank you

I want to buy a laptop for 1400, with onboard videocard to browse and maybe some video.
Is the processor the latest generation : i7-12700H ?

Thank you
13th gen is the latest but 12th gen still kicks ass.

I film some events in HD, takes much space
lenovo legion slim 5 gen 8 or legion slim 5i gen 8 both have 2 nvme slots. it comes standard with 512gb or 1tb drive and you can add another 4tb drive and replace the original drive with a 4tb as well. the difference between the 2 models is one is amd and one is intel. the amd chip runs a lot cooler and has better battery life.

This deal from Best Buy ends tomorrow. Seems kind of spectacular. Too good to be true, almost:
($1249) HP Envy 16
16-h1023dx
https://files.bbystatic.com/JK2caUO31U1b4WiFyF2TUA==/Product+Datasheet
  • 16" 2560x1600 120Hz IPS touchscreen display, 100% sRGB color gamut, 400 nits brightness (quoted)
  • i9-13900H
  • RTX 4060 Mobile
  • 16GB DDR5-5200 RAM
  • 1TB Gen4 NVMe SSD
  • Ports include HDMI 2.1 and 2 x Thunderbolt 4 (USB-C)
  • 5MP Front Cam
  • WiFi 6E 2x2
  • Quad Speakers
  • Windows 11 Home

Previous 12th gen iteration got a very strong review from Notebookcheck:
https://www.notebookcheck.net/2022-...reators-and-everyone-in-between.655309.0.html

6537115_rd.jpg;maxHeight=2000;maxWidth=2000

I just got the lenovo legion slim 5 yesterday. Ryzen 7 7840hs with a RTX 4060. 1 tb ssd. 16:10 16" 2k display. 165hz. 16gb ram. $900 USD brand new with 1 year legion ultimate support warranty. This things a little beast. Build quality is great, keyboard is amazing. The craziest thing is how cool it runs though. Was getting over 100 fps on Warzone at 2k and CPU only hitting 70 degrees celsius. Ridiculously cool.

After all of my research and testing out different brands. The Lenovo is a step above what other brands are offering. The Lenovo's are simply the best value and IMO the best looking gaming laptops by far. They are kinda stealth in the sense that people won't notice theyre gaming laptops.

I just got the lenovo legion slim 5 yesterday. Ryzen 7 7840hs with a RTX 4060. 1 tb ssd. 16:10 16" 2k display. 165hz. 16gb ram. $900 USD brand new with 1 year legion ultimate support warranty. This things a little beast. Build quality is great, keyboard is amazing. The craziest thing is how cool it runs though. Was getting over 100 fps on Warzone at 2k and CPU only hitting 70 degrees celsius. Ridiculously cool.

After all of my research and testing out different brands. The Lenovo is a step above what other brands are offering. The Lenovo's are simply the best value and IMO the best looking gaming laptops by far. They are kinda stealth in the sense that people won't notice theyre gaming laptops.
Obviously this was a sale, where did you get it? The two top trending sales flagged on the biggest laptop sales subreddits are Legions, but neither is the model you purchased. Here's the top trending sale-- the Slim 7i. It's $1398 after factoring in a new Rakuten account registration discount and an 8% rebate (or as low as $1326 if you have a military or college student ID). So that's about $150 more than the deal I'd highlighted from Best Buy; with 240Hz (vs 120Hz) and the 4070 (vs. 4060) advantages for the increased cost, but the screen isn't touch, it only has dual speakers, and only a single Thunderbolt 4 port.

Directly from Lenovo the current quoted price for the model you're mentioning is $1219, so -$320 is a wicked sale, and I'm surprised Reddit didn't catch it.
https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/lapt...000nus?orgRef=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

Obviously this was a sale, where did you get it? The two top trending sales flagged on the biggest laptop sales subreddits are Legions, but neither is the model you purchased. Here's the top trending sale-- the Slim 7i. It's $1398 after factoring in a new Rakuten account registration discount and an 8% rebate (or as low as $1326 if you have a military or college student ID). So that's about $150 more than the deal I'd highlighted from Best Buy; with 240Hz (vs 120Hz) and the 4070 (vs. 4060) advantages for the increased cost, but the screen isn't touch, it only has dual speakers, and only a single Thunderbolt 4 port.

Directly from Lenovo the current quoted price for the model you're mentioning is $1219, so -$320 is a wicked sale, and I'm surprised Reddit didn't catch it.
https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/laptops/legion-laptops/legion-slim-series-laptops/legion-slim-5-gen-8-(16-inch-amd)/82y9000nus?orgRef=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

The model I got (AMD) doesn't have thunderbolt 4 unfortunately :( but the Intel version does although it's a few more dollars. I got this direct from Lenovo Canada. There's sales on a lot of their models, the 5 pro, 5i pro, slim 5 and slim 5i etc. The coupon codes used are BUYMORELENOVO and EXTRA5 combined with a Rakuten 12% promo. The Rakuten promos hit 10% twice and 12% once in the last 3 weeks so anyone interested in buying can look out and time it right. There's also the option of ID.me as you mentioned which would have reduced the price another $150. So some people on the forums got the same deal as me but $150 cheaper which is CRAZY!
$1050 CAD or $780 USD for that computer is a ridiculous deal. All that being said, there's deals on Lenovo's to be had all the time.

I could have got the 5 pro with the 4060 and 7745HX dragon range which is a beast but gets too hot for my needs. I'm content with the power sipping phoenix range 7840HS especially since it has a way better IGPU. This model would have cost me about $50 to $75 dollars more. It also comes with the much larger 300W power brick. My model has the 230W one which is still big but considerably smaller.

I could have also got the 4070 version with the 500 Nits 240 hz screen for about $300 CAD/$225 USD more. Kinda thinking that might be the better choice but I'm annoyed the 4070 only has 8gb vram.

Ideally, I would have preferred a 1080p screen for gaming longevity but it is what it is. First time having 2k and the first thing I'm noticing is my aim is a lot better.

When it comes to touch screens, my surface laptop go has one and its my first touch screen laptop, and wow I can never go back after that. For an actual portable laptop, (like my 12.4" surface laptop) it's so useful. I never use my touchpad and thank goodness because I hate touchpads. For my desktop replacement laptop the touch screen isn't needed at all. I'm using Mouse and Keyboard for everything. I would never work with a 15 inch laptop on my lap or away from some kind of desk.

EDIT: I should add, that these legion machines can be used by non gamers looking for media work machines. They come with top of the line chips for a lot cheaper. A lot of the ultrabooks with 1650s, 3050s, 4060s etc can not handle gaming properly because their cooling is trash. Maybe suitable for media rendering tasks etc.

I just got the lenovo legion slim 5 yesterday. Ryzen 7 7840hs with a RTX 4060. 1 tb ssd. 16:10 16" 2k display. 165hz. 16gb ram. $900 USD brand new with 1 year legion ultimate support warranty.
The model I got (AMD) doesn't have thunderbolt 4 unfortunately :( but the Intel version does although it's a few more dollars. I got this direct from Lenovo Canada. There's sales on a lot of their models, the 5 pro, 5i pro, slim 5 and slim 5i etc. The coupon codes used are BUYMORELENOVO and EXTRA5 combined with a Rakuten 12% promo. The Rakuten promos hit 10% twice and 12% once in the last 3 weeks so anyone interested in buying can look out and time it right. There's also the option of ID.me as you mentioned which would have reduced the price another $150. So some people on the forums got the same deal as me but $150 cheaper which is CRAZY!
$1050 CAD or $780 USD for that computer is a ridiculous deal. All that being said, there's deals on Lenovo's to be had all the time.
Okay, Lenovo Canada must have better pricing, but also a slightly different model if the one you got doesn't have Thunderbolt 4. I linked the Legion Slim 5 model with those specs. It isn't yet available in the US domain.
https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/lapt...000nus?orgRef=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F
If it were, it certainly would be a phenomenal deal if it was valid to be claimed through the Rakuten portal. I concur those Legion deals are definitely the ones to peruse.

$1219
- $61 (5%, EXTRA5)
- $60 (+$1000 purchase, BUYMORELENOVO)
- $30 (Referral Link Bonus)
= $1068 USD tender
- $98 (8% Rebate, New Rakuten Account)
= $970 USD (after rebate)

Thermals are definitely great. Runs a few degrees cooler at max temps than the HP I linked above. Partly, that's probably the CPU, since the 7840hs is weaker than the 13900H (but on a more advanced manufacturing process).
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenov...ign-with-an-underperforming-GPU.739245.0.html

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/laptops/legion-laptops/legion-slim-series-laptops/legion-slim-5-gen-8-(16-inch-amd)/82y9000nus?orgRef=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

I forgot to mention that that legion deal you posted is pretty damn nice. very tempting. that display seems so awesome. reddit didnt seem to have much buzz about it but on redflagdeals there was a thread. the r/laptopdealscanada isn't updated that often and i notice lots of great deals that people aren't posting. i dont spend much time on r/laptopdeals because i prefer not to order from USA for warranty reasons. I assume they're more on top of things as the US usually is over us Canadians lol

Just ordered this one!

engine-pd.png

ROG Strix G18 (2023) G814

13th Gen Intel Core i9-13980HX Processor 2.2 GHz (36M Cache, up to 5.6 GHz, 24 cores: 8 P-cores and 16 E-cores)

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 Laptop GPU
ROG Boost: 2330MHz* at 175W (2280MHz Boost Clock+50MHz OC, 150W+25W Dynamic Boost)
12GB GDDR6

ROG Nebula Display
18-inch
QHD+ 16:10 (2560 x 1600, WQXGA)
IPS-level
Anti-glare display
DCI-P3:100.00%
Refresh Rate:240Hz
Response Time:3ms
G-Sync
Pantone Validated
MUX Switch + NVIDIA Advanced Optimus
Support Dolby Vision HDR

16 GB DDR5-4800 SO-DIMM
(Seemed a little lacking so i grabbed another 16 GB DDR5 to slap into the empty slot)

1TB PCIe® 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD

Going to be a huge upgrade for me !
Should arrive on Tuesday.
<GinJuice>

Heavy gaming laptops run out of power fast right ?
Do you guys know the value of a laptop battery (Milliampere ?)
and what is a good number ?

Back