Sherdog HW Rankings update - #1 Tom Aspinall #2 Jon Jones

Ok, so the #2 guy has the belt and won't fight the #1 guy. Instead he wants to fight a retired guy who isn't even on the list? And says that is the 'hardest fight he can take'?

Give the belt to the #1 guy and let's be done with the #2 guy. The no-number guy can just continue with his retirement.

The MMA math I'm seeing in here is pretty funny. But, Aspinall at #1 over Jones at HW makes perfect sense to me.

Surprised. Usually HW champ gets #1.

As it should be. Aspinall has destroyed 4 of the top 10 in 8 minutes combined. Is also the only HW with a belt that is actually willing to defend against all comers.

Jones is 1-0 in the weightclass against a guy he basically handpicked. And will only fight one other guy who he has also handpicked because he's old and essentially retired. *And still stands a decent chance at beating Jon*
FTFY

Based Sherdog is based. Maybe I should start visiting the front page more often. lol

For me it doesn't matter Tom got one good real win

Sergei Pavlovich and Jones has one win... Gane.. ( which everybody thought at the time was the new breed,, either way Jones,, wins retires and hate flows for the next century <JonesLaugh>

Surprised. Usually HW champ gets #1.

Francis is still the lineal champ. Jones' belt is largely meaningless.

He is a 1-0 HW who won a vacant belt. That anyone would be 'surprised' he isn't ranked number 1 is only a testament to the UFC's ability to manipulate narratives in an MMA media space it controls.

There is nothing at all surprising about it if you actually think about it rationally.

Francis is still the lineal champ. Jones' belt is largely meaningless.

He is a 1-0 HW who won a vacant belt. That anyone would be 'surprised' he isn't ranked number 1 is only a testament to the UFC's ability to manipulate narratives in an MMA media space it controls.

There is nothing at all surprising about it if you actually think about it rationally.

Well, Jones belt is actually very meaningful, he's the HW champ regardless how he won it. Francis is meaningless at this point and not even worth bringing up, he's not eve in the rankings. He hasn't fougth mma in over two years now.

But history, like I said, the champ is always #1 and that even went for guys 1-0. That's why I was surprised to see Sherdog put Tom #1. I like Tom at #1.

Well, Jones belt is actually very meaningful, he's the HW champ regardless how he won it. Francis is meaningless at this point and not even worth bringing up, he's not eve in the rankings. He hasn't fougth mma in over two years now.

But history, like I said, the champ is always #1 and that even went for guys 1-0. That's why I was surprised to see Sherdog put Tom #1. I like Tom at #1.

He is the champ as determined by one promotion and was crowned as such despite only being 1-0 at HW. He did not beat a champion, he just beat another random fighter. There is nothing that logically makes him 'the champ' of HW MMA.

That status still belongs to the lineal HW champ, who is the lineal champ of not only the UFC belt, but Pride and Strikeforce too, the 3 major historical HW promotions. Yes, Francis is inactive, but so is Jones.

The belts have no actual meaning - we give them meaning dependent on how much a promotion is able to convince us that they mean something.

Clearly in this case, more people are seeing through the smoke and mirrors and aren't buying a 1-0 HW who won a vacant belt as some sort of undisputed champ. It is very disputed. Even by his own promotion which created an interim belt.

He is the champ as determined by one promotion and was crowned as such despite only being 1-0 at HW. He did not beat a champion, he just beat another random fighter. There is nothing that logically makes him 'the champ' of HW MMA.

That status still belongs to the lineal HW champ, who is the lineal champ of not only the UFC belt, but Pride and Strikeforce too, the 3 major historical HW promotions. Yes, Francis is inactive, but so is Jones.

The belts have no actual meaning - we give them meaning dependent on how much a promotion is able to convince us that they mean something.

Clearly in this case, more people are seeing through the smoke and mirrors and aren't buying a 1-0 HW who won a vacant belt as some sort of undisputed champ. It is very disputed. Even by his own promotion which created an interim belt.

Well, perhaps that is why Aspinal is ranked #1 on the rankings. Seems like they have it right.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back