SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Let's pick the Week 73 movie!

Cycle 4 / Week 11: Pick the movie!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
G

Guestx

NOTE to NON-MEMBERS: Interested in joining the SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB? Shoot me a PM for more info.

Here's a quick list of all movies watched by the SMC. Or if you prefer, here's a more detailed examination.

Sorry guys for the late thread. I am still working on getting nominations from @RabidJesus. In his stead this week I'm going to let our newbie @usulrah switch places with him and go ahead and get his nomination round out of the way.

I think he's got some good choices for us, including two movies that I've been meaning to watch for years but just haven't gotten around to watching.

Here are our candidates!

Thief (1981)

Director: Michael Mann

Stars: James Caan, Tuesday Weld, Willie Nelson

Premise: Coming closer to his dream of leading a normal life, a professional safecracker agrees to do a job for the Mafia, who have other plans for him.

Why @usulrah picked it: My favourite film and Michael Mann's first feature film. Feel it's under-appreciated and one of the best debuts ever. James Cann's performance as Frank is his best imo and is very similar to De Niro's Neil. If people like Heat to me it seems this should be up their ally. Good double feature with Heat too. Also I'll add great soundtrack by Tangerine Dream.

Trailer:

Hard Times (1975)

Director: Walter Hill

Stars: Charles Bronson, James Coburn, Jill Ireland

Premise: The adventures of a drifter turned illegal prize-fighter during the Depression Era in New Orleans.

Why @usulrah picked it: Another debut, this time Walter hill. Just a cool film about a man doing what he can do to get by.

Trailer:

The Yakuza (1974)

Director: Sydney Pollack

Stars: Robert Mitchum, Ken Takakura, Brian Keith

Premise: Harry Kilmer returns to Japan after several years in order to rescue his friend George's kidnapped daughter - and ends up on the wrong side of the Yakuza.

Why @usulrah picked it: Very moving film about a clash of two cultures, obligation and honour. Pretty sad, too.

Trailer:

Manhunter (1986)

Director: Michael Mann

Stars: William Petersen, Kim Greist, Joan Allen

Premise: Former FBI profiler Will Graham returns to service to pursue a deranged serial murderer named "the Tooth Fairy" by the media.

Why @usulrah picked it: Best Lecter film imo, 80's pop soundtrack done right, awesome Mann visuals, and Will Petersen's Will Graham shits all over Norton's.

Trailer:

7wGeEM5.jpg

Members: @shadow_priest_x @europe1 @chickenluver @jeicex @MusterX @Coolthulu @Scott Parker 27 @the muntjac @Caveat @RabidJesus @usulrah

Last edited by a moderator:
These picks

giphy.gif

I saw one of them in the cinema recently. It was GLORIOUS!

I've been wanting to rewatch my pick, it's high up on my queue so now's as good a time as any. Watched Manhunter a few months ago so I could probably do it from memory if that's the pick.

I've been wanting to rewatch my pick, it's high up on my queue so now's as good a time as any. Watched Manhunter a few months ago so I could probably do it from memory if that's the pick.

Your pick is last on my list and the only one that I have no real interest in. . .

It looks like our synched-upness has been destroyed.

Your pick is last on my list and the only one that I have no real interest in. . .

It looks like our synched-upness has been destroyed.
I was on a kick with that director for a while at the beginning of the year so I watched most of that director's work. Don't have the urge to watch it again for a while.

As usual, incredibly disappointing the way you guys vote.

Seeing I picked the films do I still vote?

Seeing I picked the films do I still vote?

Yeah, most people do.

Don't openly announce your vote though. But you can talk about it like "The film I picked. . ." This is to not try to campaign or influence the voting process.

So I saw that Michael Mann is making a movie about Enzo Ferrari. Is he going to be played by Vincent Chase AKA Adrian Grenier?

We have a winner!

60440620170222073812.jpg

@usulrah has officially ushered in our first exploration of Michael Mann's filmography. This is one that's been on my list for a long time so I'm excited to finally give it a look.

I also would've been okay with a Manhunter win. I need to get around with that one, too. That would've made for a good double-feature with To Live and Die in LA.

Well all right, homies. Y'all know what to do. Discussion on Wednesday.

Attn: @shadow_priest_x @europe1 @chickenluver @jeicex @MusterX @Coolthulu @Scott Parker 27 @the muntjac @Caveat @RabidJesus @usulrah

I didn't get a notification for this thread even though I see I was tagged for it. Interdasting...

I got the one that told me we have a winner, but not for the original vote. Ah well.

Oh, okay.

Yeah, I dunno. That problem has been reported a time or two in the past.

I guess it's just an occasional system glitch. I noticed that you didn't vote.

Oh, okay.

Yeah, I dunno. That problem has been reported a time or two in the past.

I guess it's just an occasional system glitch. I noticed that you didn't vote.

I haven't seen Thief since 2009, and I remember liking it, so it's probably time for a rewatch.

Back