SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Let's pick the Week 86 movie!

Cycle 5 / Week 11: Pick the movie!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
G

Guestx

NOTE to NON-MEMBERS: Interested in joining the SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB? Shoot me a PM for more info.

Here's a quick list of all movies watched by the SMC. Or if you prefer, here's a more detailed examination.

Alas, it is the final week of the cycle, and it's up to @jasonrest29 to close things out for us.

Here are our candidates!

Whiplash (2014)

Director: Damien Chazelle

Stars: Miles Teller, J.K. Simmons, Melissa Benoist

Premise: A promising young drummer enrolls at a cut-throat music conservatory where his dreams of greatness are mentored by an instructor who will stop at nothing to realize a student's potential.

Why @jasonrest29 picked it: The acting. JK Simmons is brilliant in this film, he made the film for me. And I really fell in love with the chase for greatness in this film, something I can personally identify with.

Trailer:

The Wave (2015)

Director: Roar Uthaug

Stars: Kristoffer Joner, Ane Dahl Torp, Jonas Hoff Oftebro

Premise: Although anticipated, no one is really ready when the mountain pass above the scenic, narrow Norwegian fjord Geiranger collapses and creates an 85-meter high violent tsunami. A geologist is one of those caught in the middle of it.

Why @jasonrest29 picked it: The tension build-up is perfect, unmatched in everything I've seen recently.

Trailer:

The Color of Money (1986)

Director: Martin Scorsese

Stars: Paul Newman, Tom Cruise, Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio

Premise: Fast Eddie Felson teaches a cocky but immensely talented protégé the ropes of pool hustling, which in turn inspires him to make an unlikely comeback.

Why @jasonrest29 picked it: Because Paul Newman.

Trailer:

City of God (2002)

Directors: Fernando Meirelles, Kátia Lund

Stars: Alexandre Rodrigues, Leandro Firmino, Matheus Nachtergaele

Premise: Two boys growing up in a violent neighborhood of Rio de Janeiro take different paths: one becomes a photographer, the other a drug dealer.

Why @jasonrest29 picked it: Shot in the actual slums of Brazil, with actual citizens of Brazil. An amazing movie.

Trailer:

7wGeEM5.jpg

Members: @shadow_priest_x @europe1 @jeicex @MusterX @Coolthulu @Scott Parker 27 @the muntjac @Caveat @sleepwalk @Cubo de Sangre @sickc0d3r @jasonrest29

Although this was an equally easy pick of "seen three, so picking the first", I do want another to win, as I watched it and no one wanted to talk about it but I really really did.

Although this was an equally easy pick of "seen three, so picking the first", I do want another to win, as I watched it and no one wanted to talk about it but I really really did.

So basically you're saying that we finally synched up again . . . but you don't really wanna be.

So basically you're saying that we finally synched up again . . . but you don't really wanna be.
No, I want to watch my pick as I've never seen it before, but there's one on the list that I've always wanted to talk about. But we can sync up this week...

tumblr_n8jixqTgcV1tzb77ro1_500.gif

Well I've seen 3 of these films... but the one film I haven't seen, I don't really like the other films of it's director. Do I really want to chance voting for it knowing his poor track record? But if I don't -- then I will be forced to rewatch a movie. I guess questions like that is what you call existentialism or something.

No, I want to watch my pick as I've never seen it before, but there's one on the list that I've always wanted to talk about. But we can sync up this week...

tumblr_n8jixqTgcV1tzb77ro1_500.gif

which one have you always wanted to discuss?

which one have you always wanted to discuss?
We don't specifically talk about our picks until the voting ends. That way, we don't influence other voters from making another pick. It's why I keep it vague until then.

We don't specifically talk about our picks until the voting ends. That way, we don't influence other voters from making another pick. It's why I keep it vague until then.

Noob.

You guys little conversation has made the voting more difficult. I know each of you well enough to know that 2 of the movies are automatically excluded, I know which 2, and out of the other 2 I can safely conclude the one that has not been seen by the majority of the SMC. Although, the one @jeicex wants to discuss, and the one that @europe1 hasn't seen, are likely not the same movie.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

You guys little conversation has made the voting more difficult. I know each of you well enough to know that 2 of the movies are automatically excluded, I know which 2, and out of the other 2 I can safely conclude the one that has not been seen by the majority of the SMC. Although, the one @jeicex wants to discuss, and the one that @europe1 hasn't seen, are likely not the same movie.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

LOL

You did this to yourself. Don't you know you're not supposed to read the thread until after you've voted?

Obligatory, "I picked one I haven't seen," post.

Oh shit! Muster's got a gun!

9rkDKoa.gif

Last edited:
Wow, looks like another week of very tight voting. Appears we got another close one on our hands.

We have a winner!

whiplash-poster.jpg

I admit, I'm a bit surprised that this one won since I figured most everyone had probably already seen it, but considering what an excellent film it is, it's certainly deserving of the victory.

I've been thinking of rewatching it anyway and I'll look forward to seeing what everyone has to say.

Well this is it, the final film of Cycle 5. After this, we start over and go around again. Let's finish strong!

Attn: @shadow_priest_x @europe1 @jeicex @MusterX @Coolthulu @Scott Parker 27 @the muntjac @Caveat @sleepwalk @Cubo de Sangre @sickc0d3r @jasonrest29

Saw the preview back when it came out. Never saw it though. Looks pretty damn intense. Glad it won. Color of Money is great, but seen it half a dozen times or so.

Back