SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Let's pick the Week 90 movie!

Cycle 6 / Week 4: Pick the movie that's based on a true story!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
First thing that came to mind was Tron: Legacy, but there are certainly others.
Almost Famous was my first thought. The Daft Punk-scored Tron 2 is an excellent choice. As is Oblivion, an underrated sci fi film with a terrific score done by M83.

But they only made three Indy movies, and we need four to pick from in the poll.

We could argue over the best one of these.

th

We could argue over the best one of these.

th
nS1WijF.gif

But that's a good one, to see if anyone goes for Voyage Home, or if they went First Contact, or the reboot. Boy, that could be a battle.

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
Star Trek: First Contact
Star Trek

Those are my top four, anyway.

nS1WijF.gif

But that's a good one, to see if anyone goes for Voyage Home, or if they went First Contact, or the reboot. Boy, that could be a battle.

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
Star Trek: First Contact
Star Trek

Those are my top four, anyway.

You get to live.

HardtofindOldfashionedItaliangreyhound-size_restricted.gif

Wrath of Khan is probably #1 for most people but we could definitely have a poll of 4 for Star Trek.

Star Trek (2009) was pretty damn good man.

Yeah, I know The Motion Picture was not well-received when it was released, but I think it's a really interesting film.

You've seen it, I presume?

Yeah, I know The Motion Picture was not well-received when it was released, but I think it's a really interesting film.

You've seen it, I presume?

Absolutely, I've seen them all. I grew up with Star Trek so I've seen all the movies, all the episodes of the original series, most if not all of The Next Generation....you get the point. I would not be mad at Star Trek week.

My favorite original soundtrack has to be Superfly. Funny this is I first heard the music probably 10 years ago, yet I've still not seen the film.

Harold and Maude is also great. Technically only 2 of the songs were written for the film. All Cat Stevens originals though.

Soundtracks made up of different artists are a little more subjective I suppose, since they're basically just playlists. Guardians of the Galaxy 1 and 2 were recent movies that employed their soundtracks very effectively IMO.

I also really like the soundtracks for Barry Lyndon, mostly Baroque and Classical, as well as Amadeus, almost entirely Mozart. Also the Ken Russell film Mahler. Maybe biographical films about great composers and musicians shouldn't count.

Most original film scores seem rather uninspired to me. Plenty of movies have a few good to great musical themes, but very few are complete works that I would want to listen to when not watching the film. John Williams score for the original Star Wars maybe has the most memorable themes of any one film. Most films have original music that is completely bland and forgettable. Just my opinion of course.

Fargo, A Tale of Two Sisters, and Phantom Thread all have one or two pieces I'm very fond of.

Last edited:
Jaws fucked me up around 1980 or so. That movie was terrifying to people from that era. Its weird how what is scary and what isn't changes over time. I can guarantee you my kids would not be as enthralled with Jaws as I was in the 1980's.

Jaws > Jews.

I wonder what the reaction would have been if I included Passion of the Christ.

Dubious that it's a true story. Might as well watch this.

a51c6a03-8761-3884-9555-d2b338e5b6b6

Jaws > Jews.

Dubious that it's a true story. Might as well watch this.

a51c6a03-8761-3884-9555-d2b338e5b6b6

Jesus is accepted in the historical record. Whether or not he was God can be debated but most accept there was a man named Jesus and he was crucified by Pontius Pilate.

Jesus is accepted in the historical record. Whether or not he was God can be debated but most accept there was a man named Jesus and he was crucified by Pontius Pilate.

Sure. And I accept that a shark killed some people in the NE and Spielberg made a great (and eminently re-watchable) movie about it.

tumblr_mds8nhQrJw1qh15xko1_500.gif

The two I’ve seen I own on DVD, so if either of those win, it’ll be cake to watch.

We have a winner!

51LJe3aoe4L._SY450_.jpg

Well, Dog Day Afternoon wins. Admittedly, I'm slightly disappointed since I needed an excuse to finally buckle down and watch Schindler's List, and Dog Day Afternoon also happens to be the only one of the four that I've already seen.

But I do remember it being a solid film, and Sidney Lumet is always a winner, so I can't be too mad.

All right homies, Wednesday it is.

Attn: @shadow_priest_x @europe1 @jeicex @MusterX @Scott Parker 27 @the muntjac @Caveat @Cubo de Sangre @sickc0d3r @jasonrest29

Back