SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Week 108: OldBoy

I never would have made that connection, but they have similarly whimsical music, and neither are particularly grounded in reality, almost like fairy tales. Except Amelie is like a modern fairy tale where mostly nice stuff happens, while Oldboy is like classic fairy tales where fucked up things happen.

That was and is the most shocking scene in the movie for me, even more so then the twists and the tongue scene. Mostly because it's not not fake in any way, the guy really eats a live octopus whole with the arms grabbing his face while he consumes it. When Mi-do puts her hand on his and he passes out he still has the ends of two arms sticking out of his mouth. The fact that Min-sik Choi is a Buddhist adds a totally different weight to that scene, since it's against the faith to take a life. Makes his commitment to the film a lot more intense. If he is a devout Buddhist that was certainly the most difficult scene for him.

Was this your first time seeing it?

lmao. Yeah that guy went all out. Makes David Fincher's The Game look like a fun time.

I haven't seen it since sophomore year of high school and I was fucking blitzed outta my mind. So yeah, it was basically like watching it for the first time again. I made sure to remain stone cold sober this time around and it was a TRIP haha.

giphy.gif

Already watched it and haven't had a chance to rewatch this week. Busy time of year at work plus had to to host a large gathering. I remember liking the movie, being super bummed over him and his daughter, and then feeling bummed by the end. It was impactful when I watched it...

Back