SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Week 124 - The General

JayPettryMMA

Danger Zone Aficionado
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Reaction score
NOTE to NON-MEMBERS: Interested in joining the SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB? Shoot me a PM for more info!

Here's a quick list of all movies watched by the SMC. Or if you prefer, here's a more detailed examination.

jei's Note x2: Still helping, but not for long. This one is Yotsuya's.

The General (1926)

The_general_movie_poster.jpg

Our Director
MV5BMTI0MjA4ODk5OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNDQyNjI2._V1_UY317_CR12,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Buster Keaton
Joseph Frank "Buster" Keaton (October 4, 1895 – February 1, 1966) was an American actor, comedian, film director, producer, screenwriter, and stunt performer.

He was best known for his silent films, in which his trademark was physical comedy with a consistently stoic, deadpan expression, earning him the nickname "The Great Stone Face". Critic Roger Ebert wrote of Keaton's "extraordinary period from 1920 to 1929, [when] he worked without interruption on a series of films that make him, arguably, the greatest actor–director in the history of the movies". His career declined afterward with a dispiriting loss of his artistic independence when he was hired by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, his wife divorced him, and he descended into alcoholism. He recovered in the 1940s, remarried, and revived his career to a degree as an honored comic performer for the rest of his life, earning an Academy Honorary Award.

Many of Keaton's films from the 1920s, such as Sherlock Jr. (1924), The General (1926), and The Cameraman (1928), remain highly regarded, with The General widely viewed as his masterpiece. Among its strongest admirers was Orson Welles, who stated that The General was cinema's highest achievement in comedy, and perhaps the greatest film ever made. Keaton was recognized as the seventh-greatest film director by Entertainment Weekly, and in 1999, the American Film Institute ranked him the 21st greatest male star of classic Hollywood cinema.

Our Star
220px-Busterkeaton_edit.jpg

Buster Keaton

Film Overview: Based on a true incident during the Civil War, this silent comedy released in 1926 is currently the 153rd greatest movie of all time on IMDB. Unlike the film from last week, this film ranges from an hour to 83 minutes depending on which version you watch.
Premise: When Union spies steal an engineer's beloved locomotive, he pursues it single-handedly and straight through enemy lines.
Budget: $750,000
Box Office: $1 million, not adjusted for inflation

Trivia
(Courtesy of IMDB)
*The first try at getting the cannonball to shoot out of the cannon into the cab caused the ball to shoot with too much force. To cause it to shoot into the cab of the engine correctly, Buster Keaton had to count out the grains of gunpowder with tweezers.

*Buster Keaton wanted to use the real locomotive "The General", which was at the Nashville, Chattanooga, and St Louis Union Depot in Chattanooga, TN. The railroad initially permitted him to do so, even providing him with a branch line to film on. However, when it became known that the film was to be a comedy, the railroad withdrew permission and Keaton had to look elsewhere.

*Buster Keaton always said that this was his favorite of his own movies.

*In the scene where Johnnie and Annabelle refill the water reservoir of the train, Marion Mack said in an interview many years later that she had no idea that she was supposed to get drenched. Buster Keaton had not told her what was supposed to happen, so the shock you see is genuine.

*For the scenes with the opposing armies marching, Buster Keaton had the extras (which included 500 Oregon National Guard troops) wear the gray uniforms of the Confederacy and march in one direction past the camera, then he had them change uniforms to the Union blues and had them march past the camera in the other direction.

*The final battle scene sparked a small forest fire around the river. Buster Keaton, his crew and the extras stopped filming to fight the fire.

*The failure of the original copyright holder to renew the film's copyright resulted in it falling into public domain, meaning that virtually anyone could duplicate and sell a VHS/DVD copy of the film. Therefore, many of the versions of this film available on the market are either severely (and usually badly) edited and/or of extremely poor quality, having been duped from second- or third-generation (or more) copies of the film.

*Producer Joseph M. Schenck gave Buster Keaton $400,000 to make this film, so the production company moved with 18 freight cars of props and sets to Oregon. In the next two months the town of Marietta, GA, was built near the Oregon town of Cottage Grove.

*Buster Keaton shot most of this film outdoors in Oregon because the narrow-gauge railroad tracks that could accommodate antique locomotives were still in use at the time.

*The Union and Confederate armies were played by 500 members of the Oregon National Guard.

Was dreading this one. Turned out it was pretty entertaining. Made me laugh here and there. The short run time helped. :D By the way, I watched the 75 minute version (fwiw).

Here’s an excellent print with good score:

This was just about as good as I remembered. Not Keaton at his wildest, but really jolly good time with great stunts and gags and almost non-stop action. I love the easygoing, playful way Keaton made this megabudget movie. ”So we have a huge budget. Let’s play with locomotives, let’s build goofy railroads, let’s drive a train to river, let’s have a big battle scene...” I also liked the ”from saphead to hero” storyline and for my money Keaton is easily the most charismatic silent comedian.

Yeah, and it's public domain so we're in the clear posting it here.

Was dreading this one. Turned out it was pretty entertaining. Made me laugh here and there. The short run time helped. :D By the way, I watched the 75 minute version (fwiw).
I should have know, that someone who loves Convoy can’t hate The General too much.

This was just about as good as I remembered. Not Keaton at his wildest, but really jolly good time with great stunts and gags and almost non-stop action. I love the easygoing, playful way Keaton made this megabudget movie

See, while I really like this movie. I don't think it has much re-watchability. It's basically a spectacle movie, a epic car-chase on rails! Though I suppose this is more in the Mad Max category of being more of a train-battle than a train-chase! And it's damn good spectacle. But once you've seen it, you've seen it. There is not much else to draw from it. Storywise it's also very stock Keaton, needing to win the heart of a girl through adventure and all that.

0r4GdXB.gif

Keaton's deadpan humor is just so robust though. He makes tiny gestures so hilarious, like him stealing the ticket near the beginning. I also like how he's constantly playing with the framing, either using it's deepths or exploiting it horozontally. This feel like a very horozontal movie, especially when the train-war scenes are involved.

94426bde8c3e401fd7d1a24363afbebe.gif

One big point in this film's favor is that there is a wondrous sense of physicality to the train-footage. You really get a sense of its width and dimensions, how this behemoth is spatially constructed. Shooting so intimately with it really gives you a sense of being on the tracks with them.

qA6CEKi.gif

On a historic note, I found it interesting in how proactive his love-interest was in coercing him to get in uniform. It was a big subject of contention for her. Rather White Feather-ish. You don't see those social mores these days.

storyline and for my money Keaton is easily the most charismatic silent comedian

Yeah look at all that emotion!:D

fa2fd2797bfaac5e35742fc1656c5b57.gif

EDIT: Also love that scene near the end where he's trying to direct the artillery but all the artillery-men gets shoot.<45>

Last edited:
See, while I really like this movie. I don't think it has much re-watchability. It's basically a spectacle movie, a epic car-chase on rails! Though I suppose this is more in the Mad Max category of being more of a train-battle than a train-chase! And it's damn good spectacle. But once you've seen it, you've seen it. There is not much else to draw from it. Storywise it's also very stock Keaton, needing to win the heart of a girl through adventure and all that.
Do you mean, that there’s no depth into it? If you do, you’re kind of right. It is what it is and what it is is plain to see. That’s part of the charm. Keaton does not try to trick you in any way or lead you to anywhere. It’s plain and pure cinema. No special effects to fool you, no fast editing to distract you, no psychological mind fucks to talk about. The stunts are right there in plain view. Trains are trains and not models or cgi. Actually the only distracting scene in the movie was the breaking of the dam, because it felt like it could have been a trick shot even though it probably wasn’t. There are more optical illusions made for camera in Keaton’s other work and they are wonderful too, but deadpan ”what you see is what you get” way of movie making of The General is what makes it attractive for me.

One big point in this film's favor is that there is a wondrous sense of physicality to the train-footage. You really get a sense of its width and dimensions, how this behemoth is spatially constructed. Shooting so intimately with it really gives you a sense of being on the tracks with them.
You nailed it! I tried to write about this exact thing, but couldn’t quite put it together.

I really liked this. Perhaps it's true that it doesn't hold up as well on a second viewing, but this was my first time, so this is a fresh experience for me. The gags were funny, the physical acting was good, but most of all for me, I was amazed by the shot composition considering the release date. This is a pretty ambitious film, and I was surprised by how well it's pulled off with such ancient equipment. We get many shots of the camera mounted on the moving trains, and the frame is very steady and clear. We also get a lot of trucking shots that follow alongside the racing trains, which helps draw you into the chase. I also really liked how the music played with the action. It was like watching a Looney Tunes cartoon.

The only negative thing I can think of to say right now is the typical happy ending love story. "There's a man, and there's a woman. They love each other and everything worked out. The end." It feels rather forced for this movie because Keaton's girlfriend doesn't even want to be with him unless he's a soldier, which comes off as petty, and then during the whole chase back, Keaton seems rather annoyed and frustrated with her, and I never get a sense that he actually likes her. Why exactly do they love each other? Oh, because the story demands it, and ain't it so nice to have an ultra happy ending? Regardless, his frustrations paid out well for comedy sake.

Good movie. Enjoyed it a lot.

EDIT: Also love that scene near the end where he's trying to direct the artillery but all the artillery-men gets shoot.<45>

Yes! This probably got the biggest laugh from me too.

Do you mean, that there’s no depth into it? If you do, you’re kind of right. It is what it is and what it is is plain to see. That’s part of the charm. Keaton does not try to trick you in any way or lead you to anywhere. It’s plain and pure cinema. No special effects to fool you, no fast editing to distract you, no psychological mind fucks to talk about. The stunts are right there in plain view. Trains are trains and not models or cgi. Actually the only distracting scene in the movie was the breaking of the dam, because it felt like it could have been a trick shot even though it probably wasn’t. There are more optical illusions made for camera in Keaton’s other work and they are wonderful too, but deadpan ”what you see is what you get” way of movie making of The General is what makes it attractive for me.

Indeed, it's very simple, but the simplicity works for this movie. The film is more of a spectacle than it's trying to be some deep thinker because well, it's a visual comedy. Buy the ticket, take the ride.

I really liked this. Perhaps it's true that it doesn't hold up as well on a second viewing, but this was my first time, so this is a fresh experience for me. The gags were funny, the physical acting was good, but most of all for me, I was amazed by the shot composition considering the release date. This is a pretty ambitious film, and I was surprised by how well it's pulled off with such ancient equipment. We get many shots of the camera mounted on the moving trains, and the frame is very steady and clear. We also get a lot of trucking shots that follow alongside the racing trains, which helps draw you into the chase. I also really liked how the music played with the action. It was like watching a Looney Tunes cartoon.

The only negative thing I can think of to say right now is the typical happy ending love story. "There's a man, and there's a woman. They love each other and everything worked out. The end." It feels rather forced for this movie because Keaton's girlfriend doesn't even want to be with him unless he's a soldier, which comes off as petty, and then during the whole chase back, Keaton seems rather annoyed and frustrated with her, and I never get a sense that he actually likes her. Why exactly do they love each other? Oh, because the story demands it, and ain't it so nice to have an ultra happy ending? Regardless, his frustrations paid out well for comedy sake.

Good movie. Enjoyed it a lot.
Allright! For me too The General felt really fresh especially for the first viewing. I think it’s the clarity and simplicity of Keaton’s film making and charisma. We don’t get too much of those qualities these days in movies.

Pretty much all the techniques of cinematography were there when Griffith made Intolerance 1916. I used to be surprised when I saw incredibly well made movies from the 20’s and these days I’m more surprised if I find same qualty from movies made in 30’s, because the soundstage changed everything when talkies came.

The General is a nostalgic farse, so of course there’s a happy, romantic ending. :) I don’t think any of it was out of character either considering, that we’re not talking about Dostojevski adaptation or anything. Johnnie was obviously head over heels for Annabelle, who was very happy for the attention, but as a southern belle from old fashioned family expected him to step up too, as her father and brother were doing it. After all it was a very innocent comedy of errors plot twist that got the wheels rolling. Some goofy comedic quarrels along the way balanced the movie a bit so it was not all about trains and soldiers. I liked it.

I can see the argument for boosting the romantic plot a bit, but then again, one of the greatest strenghts of Keaton’s movies is the complete lack of sentimentality and things like romance just have to be taken with a bit of good will towards Keaton as story teller, as they will not be overly emphasised.

Last edited:
I forgot what we were supposed to be watching this week..

tenor.gif

Just starting this now. Will chime in later tonight :D

Perhaps it's true that it doesn't hold up as well on a second viewing, but this was my first time, so this is a fresh experience for me.

upload_2018-9-20_22-56-9.jpeg

The only negative thing I can think of to say right now is the typical happy ending love story. "There's a man, and there's a woman. They love each other and everything worked out. The end."

That's pretty much every Keaton movie by the way. No exaggeration.

He had a stock-story. Dude wants to win the heart of girl. See, Keaton was all about the jokes. So the story really is only there to facilitate said jokes. Therefore, something basic and open-ended is always accessible to him. Plus, the crowds always like the love stories, it's classic crowd-pleasing.

It feels rather forced for this movie because Keaton's girlfriend doesn't even want to be with him unless he's a soldier, which comes off as petty

I think that was more the Social Mores of the period.

I mean, in England they had a system where nubile young maidens where handed a bunch of white feathers that they could freely hand out to men as a sign that they were cowards for not having joined the military. Shaming men into uniform was all the rage back then.

Keaton seems rather annoyed and frustrated with her,

Well she does start randomly brushing up the engine during a train chase.

AcidicPointedEarwig-max-1mb.gif

and I never get a sense that he actually likes her.

8525bc7ebb559b316c7f8900ee2709d1.gif

Well, he certainly shows some frustration with her during the stress of the hunt. But I think he's clearly into her.

That’s part of the charm. Keaton does not try to trick you in any way or lead you to anywhere. It’s plain and pure cinema. No special effects to fool you, no fast editing to distract you, no psychological mind fucks to talk about. The stunts are right there in plain view. Trains are trains and not models or cgi.

Pretty much all the techniques of cinematography were there when Griffith made Intolerance 1916. I used to be surprised when I saw incredibly well made movies from the 20’s and these days I’m more surprised if I find same qualty from movies made in 30’s, because the soundstage changed everything when talkies came.

Interesting how in the 20's we had people like Keaton who had an ultra-pragmatic sense of camera and scene-direction while simultaneously we had German Expressionism which was ultra into camera trickery and optical effects. Like, say, Sunrise.

days I’m more surprised if I find same qualty from movies made in 30’s, because the soundstage changed everything when talkies came.

Yeah, sound screwed everything up. All those bulky sound equipment really limited most peoples movement.

Interesting how in the 20's we had people like Keaton who had an ultra-pragmatic sense of camera and scene-direction while simultaneously we had German Expressionism which was ultra into camera trickery and optical effects. Like, say, Sunrise.
Sunrise is really one of the most astonishing movies ever and maybe even more so than Metropolis, because heavy use of camera tricks in drama movie without the whole thing getting ridicilous seems to me even more innovative than in a scifi movie. In the ”sequel” City Girl Murnau was moving towards more conservative movie making, but I still liked it a lot.

Last edited:
Okay this movie was cool as f***

It kept my attention from the start, which I wasn't sure it would since it's a silent film and I have the attention span of a child. But as someone who loves trains, i found it very enjoyable and easy to watch :D

Already a few funny parts early on. The part when he's sitting on the side of that old train killed me.

train 1.png
Train 2.png

This train chase is unreal! Really good action and I honestly really like that it's a silent film. Crazy that this was inspired by a true event.

Background music is good as well. Fitting to the atmosphere.

This scene gave me all the anxiety:

close call.png

My friend is a conductor for the railway I'm sure he would appreciate this.
My friends and I go and watch trains regularly.

This burning train scene is awesome.

burn.png

No way he goes unnoticed under that table behind enemy lines. It's just not possible.

Side Note: I like that this is in black and white.
And the noise it makes when he konks the guards.

It's cool that he starred in and co-directed this movie
Reminded me of Birdman since we watched that recently and his character was doing that with the play.

Wet train lady is definitely falling for him on this escape adventure.
That pine cone that woke him up is enormous.
I've never seen a pine cone that large.

I like how he snuck her in the bag.
He Bruce Lee'd the f*** out those mens holy shit!

Disconnecting the power line with the train. I like.

Some pretty cool stunts in this old flick.

Wood the wet train kindapped lady.
Aaaand by wood I meant wood respect & appreciate.. going to such extraordinary lengths to save her such as in this film, if necessary.
(forgot there are girls in here)

<{ByeHomer}>

I'm enjoying this little game of cat and mouse.
It's like the tom and jerry of silent black and white train movies.

MCMC_1010_71.jpg

I didn't expect to enjoy a movie from 1926 this much.
Who nominated this again? Hespek.

Dropping huge boxes on the track.
Feels like Mario Kart: Black and white silent train edition 1926.
(I apologize for my stupid commentary) :D

Chase coming to a head now. They're catching up! Shiieet.
My mans always one step ahead though, separated the boxcar.

The part when they're burning the railway tracks.
So metal
burning track.png

I can appreciate the raw story telling here.
Especially in todays age when everything is a remake of a remake, thrown together with a few huge names and a hollywood budget. No real story telling ability. No real substance. This movie is light and fun but action packed as well.
And do movies even need talking? Or Color? I mean, really.

Lookin like a war bout to go down. Conor vs Khabib style.

"Yeah that bridge should be fine"

shouldbefine.png

<36>

I feel bad for the horses :(
They didn't ask for this war.
Some cool shots of the battle though.

Accidentally kills their shooter AND floods them out
<mma4>

Aw happy ending

<{1-7}>

Overall, a good watch and an enjoyable experience.
Would reccommend.
This has been idiotic commentary with @FrontNakedChoke

Bless you all.

I was planning on watching this at the start of next week, but this new edition of idiotic commentary with @FrontNakedChoke has me wanting to stop what I'm watching and watch The General immediately.

giphy.gif

I didn't expect to enjoy a movie from 1926 this much.
Who nominated this again? Hespek.
I’m really happy you liked it! I was a bit worried about how the silent movie week would go with people who have not been watching that many old movies.

I was planning on watching this at the start of next week, but this new edition of idiotic commentary with @FrontNakedChoke has me wanting to stop what I'm watching and watch The General immediately.

giphy.gif

Hahaha I’m glad someone enjoyed it! Anxiety has held me back from participating more in the past. Making more of an effort to contribute anyways.

I’m really happy you liked it! I was a bit worried about how the silent movie week would go with people who have not been watching that many old movies.

Yeah I really enjoyed it, thanks!

Just recommended it to my conductor friend.

Last edited:
That's pretty much every Keaton movie by the way. No exaggeration.

He had a stock-story. Dude wants to win the heart of girl. See, Keaton was all about the jokes. So the story really is only there to facilitate said jokes. Therefore, something basic and open-ended is always accessible to him. Plus, the crowds always like the love stories, it's classic crowd-pleasing.

See, I'm completely fine with the comedy taking the front seat and everything else tagging along as long as the humor is good. For this movie it works. It wants to be a visual spectacle, and it succeeds at that. Therefor, the faults feel minor, and I can get past the humdrum romantic story angle. Granted, the forced love-interest aspect in cinema is something I usually roll my eyes at, so it's not just this movie. It's many of them.

I think that was more the Social Mores of the period.

I mean, in England they had a system where nubile young maidens where handed a bunch of white feathers that they could freely hand out to men as a sign that they were cowards for not having joined the military. Shaming men into uniform was all the rage back then.

Yeah, I can definitely see that it was a sign of the times, but I think shaming men to enlist into the military with the hopes of promiscuity or marriage is something I think we're glad we left behind. You can't go chasing ladies when you're dead.

Also, you're telling me that time I was in England, and when that lady handed me a white flower, it didn't means she was into me? Poppycock!

Well she does start randomly brushing up the engine during a train chase.

AcidicPointedEarwig-max-1mb.gif

"Why, you little...!"

There was another moment when they were on the bridge that they burn where she hands him a small piece of wood or something, and he annoying swipes it from her and tosses it aside. I felt at that moment he was ready to chuck her off the bridge. And yes, I most likely would have laughed at that.

8525bc7ebb559b316c7f8900ee2709d1.gif

Well, he certainly shows some frustration with her during the stress of the hunt. But I think he's clearly into her.

She has no discernible traits other than she's a woman, so I guess we have to take Keaton's face value of he's a man, and she's a woman, and since they are attracted to each other, they'll fall in love happily ever after. I suppose chalk it up to social mores of the period that a woman in a movie is nothing more than a device to propel the man's adventure, and to look pleasing.

Back