SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Week 127 - Hereditary

Man.. Even just the faces of the actors and the scenery in this movie freak me out..

It had a vey gothic horror movie look to everything. I did love the use of the model houses. When she made the model of her headless daughter it completely creeped me out. I don't like dolls. I think they are creepy as hell and I don't trust people above the age of 10 who play with them!

He never actually looked in the back seat did he? I thought he did a good job of portraying shock. I was a little annoyed that he just went home and went to bed. Made sense that the demon was influencing him.

I don't think he did. I'm no expert on shock, but i found it convincing. I think I'm one of the only people who liked that he just drove home and went to bed. Made the whole situation way more traumatic.

It had a vey gothic horror movie look to everything. I did love the use of the model houses. When she made the model of her headless daughter it completely creeped me out. I don't like dolls. I think they are creepy as hell and I don't trust people above the age of 10 who play with them!

Was anybody else like

"OMG DON'T LET PETER SEE THAT!!!!!11!11!"

I know the Dad said something along those lines, but I was freaking out haha.

Had a penpal way back in the day who was in this band. Was actually wondering just last month about whatever happened to him.

Penpals?!!! That is awesome. Talk about a throwback! I was always the asshole who agreed to be penpals but then never wrote back :oops:

Well, I'm 0-2 shelling out money for OnDemand SMC titles. I'm ten bucks in the hole now on shitty movies.

Like I said I would, I watched The Witch first and then Hereditary. I was under the impression that it was the same filmmaker(s) on both films, not just the same production company, so, technically, I didn't have to watch The Witch. But I did and it sucked. Super boring, not even a little creepy, and a retarded ending with zero payoff whatsoever.

Hereditary was WAY better, but still not very good. I don't have anything to say about it beyond that, so I'm just going to respond to some of your guys' points.

Can't say I'd recommend this one. Much longer than it needed to be. Not really clear what's going on/what happened. Not very climactic. Not particularly scary or creepy.

My thoughts exactly.

Some things were downright silly, like Peter bringing his dead sister's headless body home, dropping it in the bed, and then going to bed himself so his mom would find a rotting corpse in the morning. WTF?
Had a good laugh (due to the cliched predictability) when the daughter hit the pole.

Yeah, that whole sequence, from the party to the aftermath, was retarded. I was just laughing the whole time with this look on my face:

giphy.gif

Grandma's cult friend Joan was able to convince Annie to perform the ritual herself and to make sure that Peter was present. This must have been to ensure Paimon would have a body when he was invoked. The seance was never meant to bring back Charlie, it was to summon Paimon.

Is this an inference on your part? Because I didn't catch that being explicitly laid out/confirmed anywhere and now, going back over it in my head, I can't come up with anything to corroborate this.

This one ramped it up to redline craziness at the end

If this goofy movie is your idea of "redline craziness" then M. Night Shyamalan's The Visit would likely put you in a coma :eek::D

The movie peaked in the second act, when Annie (Collette is a great actress by the way) really started coming unraveled.
The family drama played well and, while I found it kind of hard to keep my focus, the slow burn of the first two thirds of the story was better than the reveal.

Agreed.

Was she supposed to be possessed at that point? She was "normal" right before that.

I was also confused as to what the deal was that one scene where Peter is heading off to school and notices the door ajar and then there's a cut to Annie hiding in the shadows looking possessed. What was the point of that?

What was with Charlie starting to choke and couldn't breathe, but then later Peter started doing the same thing and he just had his buddy hold his hand?

I'm at a loss trying to come up with a non-retarded explanation for that.

Some of Toni's scream-faces in this movie sort of reminded me of Danny in The Shining

tenor.gif

Any thought on the fact that the ending shot is the threehouse-ritual in doll-form?
They became dolls, MusterX, they became DOOOOOOLLS!{<Mcgoat}

Okay, on second viewing, the Heredity one is probably just a long-shot meant to look like a doll-house. But the doll-impression is still there. They're arranged and presented in such a manner.

That's actually my biggest gripe: That nothing came of the miniatures. The movie fucking opens with a zoom-in on the miniature and then it closes with a long shot of what looks like a miniature treehouse. I was thinking maybe they were going to have the Mom losing her marbles hallucinating an entire universe in miniature or have them stuck in some miniature in Hell that the Devil likes to play with after a hard day's work. But at least something to justify all the time and focus on those stupid things. Instead, it was just like, "Oh, yeah, this is her day job. Let's watch her paint a miniature sign for a few minutes. That won't be boring."

At particularly boring moments, I'd amuse myself by imagining John C. Reilly as her partner in the miniature business:

Some of you have mentioned how things aren't really explained in detail,

I think that's one of the things I really like about the movie.
In real life things don't just wrap up all neatly with a bow with everything being clear as day to everyone involved.

I've seen way too many horror movies where they're over sharing details to explain what's happening. Hereditary went the opposite way, and to me that's one of it's strong points.

This isn't a personal attack, I'm just using you as an example since you brought it up, but I hate this logic. It's the filmmaker's job to explain shit. If I want to use my imagination, I'll write my own fucking horror movie. But that's not what I'm here for. I'm here to watch your movie. And if your movie leaves me with nothing but questions, then your movie sucks and you can go fuck yourself. That's the whole point of the experience: Discovering what's going on.

What's an example of a horror movie where they "overshared" details? Mind you, I'm not asking for an example of stupid details. If an ending is stupid, that's not a knock on using endings to answer questions, it's just a knock on the particular filmmaker(s). I'm talking about where the details are sound and they provide closure but you consider it problematic because details were provided at all.

In this families case they were going to hell in a sort of hereditary way. The father though just got caught up with the wrong chick and he got burned.

That was another point of confusion: Why did Gabriel Byrne get lit up? What was his "connection"? How/when did Annie's "connection" end up "transferring" to him?

One thing that bothers me is how did the grandmother Ellen die?

I don't remember hearing about any immortality clauses with that cult. I think people still die. You just get to hang out with demons while you're on Earth and then when your body is fried you then move on to Hell to keep the party going as a spirit. No?

What's the significance of Annie sleepwalking and trying to burn Peter and Charlie?

Maybe she knew deep down how it all was going to play out, but her conscious mind had no power to stop it. The kids were born to take part in the ritual, that's it. Her subconscious dreaming mind tried to stop it.

I'd buy this reading, especially since she has that one line to Peter about how she wasn't trying to hurt him but was actually trying to "save" him.

They said the same things about the Omen films.

Look how that turned out.
The first Omen is something the SMC should watch. The 2nd was not as good but still not a total disaster

Hold your horses there, boys. The Omen rules, no doubt about it, but Damien: Omen II is also awesome. The third one is the only dud in the bunch. Even the made-for-TV Omen IV with Delia was pretty cool.

I don't think he did. I'm no expert on shock, but i found it convincing. I think I'm one of the only people who liked that he just drove home and went to bed. Made the whole situation way more traumatic.

I felt better about the scene when I realized her head got knocked off.... seems like a strange thing to say :oops: When it first happened, I kept thinking, what if she is still alive.....so knowing there was no chance of it made it more believable to me that he freaked out and drove home.

This isn't a personal attack, I'm just using you as an example since you brought it up, but I hate this logic. It's the filmmaker's job to explain shit. If I want to use my imagination, I'll write my own fucking horror movie. But that's not what I'm here for. I'm here to watch your movie. And if your movie leaves me with nothing but questions, then your movie sucks and you can go fuck yourself. That's the whole point of the experience: Discovering what's going on.

Brutal. Legit lol.

Bloodlines are important. We must keep them pure! <Moves>

latest

Humperdink!

Like I said I would, I watched The Witch first and then Hereditary. I was under the impression that it was the same filmmaker(s) on both films, not just the same production company, so, technically, I didn't have to watch The Witch. But I did and it sucked. Super boring, not even a little creepy, and a retarded ending with zero payoff whatsoever.

Good to know coz I was planning on doing the same, only just haven't gotten around to it. I won't bother now. My guess is the creepiest scene was when she was playing peek a boo with the baby and the baby disappeared. That stuck with me from the original trailer when it first came out. Its always annoying to see a film where you already saw the best scene....

Btw, I know many of you guys wanted to talk about the Witch too. Well, don't wait for me to fire the starting pistol or anything. Just dump those posts here!

tenor.gif

For the record, I have not rewatched The Witch for this week.

I think The Witch is a great film. Better than this one. Firstly, Anya Taylor-Joy is just magnetic as Tomasin, really playing up the frustration, earnestness, and vulnerabilities of her role. And Ralph Ineson as the father is great as well.

The Witch is a film about a bunch of characters whose world-view makes them implode. Critically, the film itself operates after their puritan mindset. The film is basically about playing out its implications to their logical endpoints.

The family leaves society because they want to be pure of sin, but their paranoia about impurity turns them against each other, and leaves them into sinning as well. They hold the opinion that any sin is a grievous deviancy. They must be pure from sin but the film is basically about that such a mindset is not only fundamentally impossible but also self-destructive.

When Tomasin asks her father if Caleb really is in hell, and her father is too distraught to answer, the reason that he is so distraught is because according to their religious beliefs, the answer is "yes!". Caleb exited the world having committed sin, so he is irreparably damned. He is burning with the devil.

Cabel felt lust towards his sister (spying on her breasts by the stream). This would be normal for a boy of his age and circumstances, but by the logic of the film that is still a sin, so he dies without grace. The father's sin is pride, so he deserves to die as well (killed by the very blocks of wood he had accumulated in an effort to remain useful to their little community, ie: his pride). The mother is obviously sinful with her wrath and everything. The infant that Tomasin loses in the beginning also dies without grace, since it was not baptized before the witches took it away (as they say in the movie). Even a toddler falls to sin! And the two twins cavort with the devil, they may not be old enough to understand the implications of this, but by the puritan logic that the film operates under, that is still a sin. To a Puritan mindset, a sin is always a sin no matter what context it happens under. I don't remember if Tomasin ever actually did anything sinful (until she sold her soul to the devil) but merely being accused of it is enough to damn her in such a paranoid and sexist society, especially being a girl on the cusp of womanhood.

Tomasin joining the coven of witches (whom probably were the one who killed her brother) is thus rendered an inevitability due to the Puritan mindset. They are all living in sin, so they are all without grace. Collapse is inevitable. Trying to adhere to their ultra-dogmatic creed during the distressing events of the film doesn't save them, it only leads to mass-hysteria. Tomasin gets accused of being a witch all the time, so in the end, she might as well become one.

In that way, I think The Witch is a great condemnation of a Puritan mindset.

Last edited:
Well, Dante didn't make it out to be such a nice place either.

20100219230547!Dante_Inferno_Levels.png

One of the funnier things about Dante's Inferno is how he arrives at hell by his descending into some cave. It just humors me that Medieval people thought you could reach hell by simple traveling deep enough. And then when he reaches purgetory in the second act he's traveling up towards the surface from the other side, having literally walked straight through the earth's center and then coming out at the other end.

I think you might be surprised. My experience with American churches is that Christians are still very very much aware of those bloodlines and significance. Why do you think Americans shit themselves if every president, regardless if Democrat or Republican, supports Israel to the fullest extent. To the death even. Want to start a world war, just march on Israel and see what America is forced to do about it.

Oh I didn't mean to imply that this has disappeared or anything. Just that by Christianity at large, bloodlines are way less central than there were in the first century, when it was very, very central.

I'm not Catholic btw, I think they have a lot of shit embarrassingly wrong.

Oh I just said that since the Catholic creed developed the notion of blood-sacrifice very thoroughly.

Somone once told me that the difference between Catholic theology and Ortodox theology is that Catholics believe that Jesus primarily came to earth to be a blood-sacrifice, a sacrificial lamb that would pay for our sins. While the Orthodox believe that Jesus primarily came to earth so to establish Christ-likeness, so that people could live in a way that brought them as close to god as possible.

I honestly think Hereditary cracks my Top 10. I think its Top 10 worthy.

:eek:

I give Hereditary a 6 or a 6.5 out of 10 (basically a good movie)

It is interesting to note that Scot wanted to prove that Witchcraft and belief in demons was caused my mental disturbances. This ties in to the alternate idea in the film Hereditary that schizophrenia was the cause.

Brah's there is like a silent-age film from 1922 about that. We should ask Yotsuya to nominate it next time!

v1.bTsxMTYxNjgzMTtqOzE3OTA5OzEyMDA7MzQ5OzUwMA

haxan.jpg

Its a pretty good watch if you are bored. Also @europe1 , you should hear some mention of something or other pagan at the 17:00 minute mark. #snicker

I hate that woman.

No. They don't go so far as to explain EXACTLY what all the meanings of the film are but both her and the director seem stuck on the idea of the family dynamic. The director talked a lot about the reason why the film was a slow burn was to allow the viewer to connect with the characters so that when something bad happened you were invested in their plight.

So I guess the family was inheriting "family trauma", they were inheriting mental illness, and they were inheriting a religious experience that happens to be on the wrong team. It does bother me that it appears to be a legitimate cult based demon summoning while at the same time making damn sure he lets you know everyone involved is batshit crazy. Everyone is bipolar, schizophrenic, and dissociative identity disorder.

Honestly... it sounds like the cast and crew just hyped up the "family drama" aspect of the film so to make it sound more cerebral than it actually is. The movie is clearily primarily a satanist moive.

Is this an inference on your part? Because I didn't catch that being explicitly laid out/confirmed anywhere and now, going back over it in my head, I can't come up with anything to corroborate this.

Wasn't Paimon embedded in Charlie's soul to begin with on account of granma? Hence the need to kill her. So that her demon-infested soul can travel freely and then end up in his body? As they said in the ending "disgarded the female vessel, and presented you with a male one".

That's actually my biggest gripe: That nothing came of the miniatures. The movie fucking opens with a zoom-in on the miniature and then it closes with a long shot of what looks like a miniature treehouse. I was thinking maybe they were going to have the Mom losing her marbles hallucinating an entire universe in miniature or have them stuck in some miniature in Hell that the Devil likes to play with after a hard day's work. But at least something to justify all the time and focus on those stupid things. Instead, it was just like, "Oh, yeah, this is her day job. Let's watch her paint a miniature sign for a few minutes. That won't be boring."

I just assumed that I must have missed something that the SMC would uncover. I guess it was just bad planning on the filmmakers part.

Hold your horses there, boys. The Omen rules, no doubt about it, but Damien: Omen II is also awesome. The third one is the only dud in the bunch. Even the made-for-TV Omen IV with Delia was pretty cool.

I remember thinking Omen II was good (can't remember much about them though since it was like 15 years since I saw them). I just remember thinking it was a classic case of very diminishing returns.

Good to know coz I was planning on doing the same, only just haven't gotten around to it. I won't bother now. My guess is the creepiest scene was when she was playing peek a boo with the baby and the baby disappeared. That stuck with me from the original trailer when it first came out. Its always annoying to see a film where you already saw the best scene....

10j6mg.jpg

Yeah, that's just my take. I think it's corroborated by the fact that they actually summoned Paimon, though ;)

Wasn't Paimon embedded in Charlie's soul to begin with on account of granma? Hence the need to kill her. So that her demon-infested soul can travel freely and then end up in his body? As they said in the ending "disgarded the female vessel, and presented you with a male one".
Yes, Charlie was possessed by Paimon from infancy because Annie wouldn't let grannie "get her hooks into Peter". The cult's goal was to complete the ritual so that Peter could be a host for Paimon. Remember Joan even asked Annie how Peter was doing the first time they hung out at her apartment.

I can't think of any specific examples off the top of my head, but it's generally something that bothers me in shitty horror movies..

To each their own I guess...

Also I just noticed this motherfucker @Bullitt68 was in here talking shit about The Witch

<HisEye><HisEye><HisEye><HisEye><HisEye><HisEye>

Last edited:
Brutal. Legit lol.

giphy.gif

Ambiguity should not only be used sparingly, it should be used in a way that allows for plausible and fruitful alternative interpretations (like "Does the top fall or keep spinning?" in Inception). But this presupposes that the filmmaker/s know/s everything unambiguously and have carefully orchestrated the ambiguity. Just ending a movie with a hands-up "Who knows?" ending as if that's not a massive cop-out drives me insane.

The whole point of Psycho is to find out WTF is going on and why, the whole point of Rosemary's Baby is to find out what happened with her baby, the whole point of The Omen is to find out if the kid is really evil or not, the whole point of Scream is to find out who's under the mask, etc. Then when you get into the Blair Witch era, you get filmmakers defaulting on their endings as if it's artistically valid to just not explain shit. If the material calls for it, and if you can do it elegantly, then okay, go the ambiguity route. Look at The Shining or The Thing. Those are fantastic endings that work perfectly given what'd come before. But in both instances, there are clear avenues for interpretation open with pieces of corroborating evidence readily available in the preceding. In neither case are we left trying to tie up the loose ends left by the lazy/incompetent filmmakers.

That's what really grinds my gears.

s1q69x.jpg

Good to know coz I was planning on doing the same, only just haven't gotten around to it. I won't bother now.

Well, I wouldn't recommend going by me. You seem to have enjoyed Hereditary more than I did. And you made mention of a "Gothic" touch and The Witch is set in the past and has a very old-timey horror feel to it. For all I know, you'll love The Witch.

Even though I didn't like it, I'd hate to rob someone of a positive moviegoing experience, so I'd still recommend giving it a shot.

My guess is the creepiest scene was when she was playing peek a boo with the baby and the baby disappeared. That stuck with me from the original trailer when it first came out. Its always annoying to see a film where you already saw the best scene....

I actually didn't find that scene creepy at all. Nothing happens. That's not creepy. The creepiest scenes are the ones that actually have to do with the witch. Personally, I thought even those were lame and trite, but they're definitely better than that early peek-a-boo scene.

I think The Witch is a great film. Better than this one. Firstly, Anya Taylor-Joy is just magnetic as Tomasin, really playing up the frustration, earnestness, and vulnerabilities of her role. And Ralph Ineson as the father is great as well.

I think Hereditary is the better film but The Witch definitely wins on the acting front. I don't think the girl was anything special but the mom and dad were both solid.

The Witch is a film about a bunch of characters whose world-view makes them implode. Critically, the film itself operates after their puritan mindset. The film is basically about playing out its implications to their logical endpoints.

The family leaves society because they want to be pure of sin, but their paranoia about impurity turns them against each other, and leaves them into sinning as well. They hold the opinion that any sin is a grievous deviancy. They must be pure from sin but the film is basically about that such a mindset is not only fundamentally impossible but also self-destructive.

<mma4>

I'm torn here. I want to agree with this analysis, because it seems to match the proceedings perfectly, and yet, I'm reluctant to give the film credit as a critique. I think that you can map this onto the film and point up the self-destructive illogic of the family's actions (certainly the father's, though the rest of your analysis of the other family members seems on-point, as well), but I don't know that doing so is what the film's about or what they were trying to do with it. Does that make sense?

Assuming that it does and that you know what I'm asking, what from within the film leads you to believe that the religious shit was more than just "window dressing" and that we were supposed to understand the film as and walk away from it with a critique of Puritanism/religious dogmatism? Wouldn't this mean that the witches were forces of good, that they weren't "evil" at all? But that wouldn't make sense, because they're killing/eating babies and shit. Where does that leave us with the concepts of "good" and "evil" - or, more specifically, where does the film want to leave us with those concepts?

In short, I think that your analytical sharpness is sharpening the edges of what was actually a much duller film. I'm open to being proven wrong about that, though.

I don't remember if Tomasin ever actually did anything sinful (until she sold her soul to the devil) but merely being accused of it is enough to damn her in such a paranoid and sexist society, especially being a girl on the cusp of womanhood.

This is the only part of your analysis that I'd want to apply pressure to. I think that, on your reading, you're making Tomasin a lot more of an "innocent" than she actually was. At least, that's according to the film. For example, why was the baby snatched when it was with her? Why was that egg all fucked up when she touched it? Why did she milk blood from the goat? It seemed like the film was trying to indicate that she had evil in her. On your reading, it makes sense to argue that the family - the father with his pride, the mother with her wrath, the kids with their consorting with the devil - is lead into sin, but Tomasin, who seems the very picture of innocence on your reading, appears in the film to be the only one born into sin - indeed, who seems evil.

Or am I missing something with her?

I just assumed that I must have missed something that the SMC would uncover. I guess it was just bad planning on the filmmakers part.

Certainly seems that way. I guess nobody bothered to look up Chekov's gun.

I remember thinking Omen II was good (can't remember much about them though since it was like 15 years since I saw them). I just remember thinking it was a classic case of very diminishing returns.

I'd say the relationship between The Omen and Omen II is closer to Scream and Scream 2 - two awesome movies where the sequel not being as good as the original is more of a complement to the original than a knock on the sequel - than it is to Halloween and Halloween II.

Then again, I, like you, haven't seen them in a number of years, so I have no idea what I'd think now. Going off of memory, though, I've always loved them both.

giphy.gif

;)

Yeah, that's just my take. I think it's corroborated by the fact that they actually summoned Paimon, though ;)

I'm a stickler, though, so it's a big deal to me whether she intended (and ensured somehow?) the seance to summon Paimon and the Charlie shit was a lie (but then how did and what's the significance that Charlie "got in" Annie?) or whether she intended the seance to summon Charlie and her ending up "in" Annie was some sort of glitch (how/what's the significance of that?) or whether she intended the seance to summon Charlie and Paimon was either already "there" (where is "there" and how/when did he get there?) or had nothing to do with anything in that scene.

Also I just noticed this motherfucker @Bullitt68 was in here talking shit about The Witch

<HisEye><HisEye><HisEye><HisEye><HisEye><HisEye>

giphy.gif

That was another point of confusion: Why did Gabriel Byrne get lit up? What was his "connection"? How/when did Annie's "connection" end up "transferring" to him?

I'm not sure the connection was ever what Annie thought it was. I think she was tricked by the cult and by Paimon as well. Joan knew she had to get Annie to do the seance willingly and taught her how to do it. That's often how these occult rituals work, the person has to willingly do the ritual, they have to willingly sell their soul, or even with just Vampires we see you have to willingly invite them into your home. Annie takes Steve and Peter into the basement and does the seance and that is when she pretty much doomed Steve and Peter.

With Paimon/Charlie firmly invited in everything began to escalate. Paimon didn't want Steve's body, he wasn't suitable, too old. So he had to be dealt with. Unwittingly, Annie sacrifices Steve by throwing the book into the fire which in turn gave Paimon enough power or permission to fully possess her. Which he did at that moment and then ultimately forced Annie to saw her own head off in the most jarring scene of the film. Annie thought the book was attached to her because when she originally threw it in the fire her arm caught fire a little bit.

I think this was demonic deception on the part of Paimon. My evidence is that when she threw the book in for Steve he caught full blown inferno, no escape. When she threw the book in and she caught on fire it was just a little flame on her arm. It was Annie being drawn deeper and deeper into the deception. She was the one that did the seance, she was the one that witnessed the automatic writing in the journal, she was the one that threw it in the fire. I think it was Steve's ass all along, she just was tricked by a demon.

I don't remember hearing about any immortality clauses with that cult. I think people still die. You just get to hang out with demons while you're on Earth and then when your body is fried you then move on to Hell to keep the party going as a spirit. No?

My point with that being she wasn't decapitated until after she died. Both Charlie and Annie were decapitated while living. It seems like Ellen's death would have rushed the cult and forced them to do the ceremonies to summon Paimon. That or Ellen sacrificed herself to get the ball rolling and we just never see that happen. The entire thing where we see her picture at the end and it says Queen Leigh just takes her evil next level. She is the one that was leading the cult. She sacrificed her family for a promise of position in hell.

Joan and the rest of the cult, they wanted money and knowledge, to be used here in their Earthly lives. We know that because Joan requests it from Paimon at the end of the film. (Which really she fucked up because to get Paimon to respond to the summoner in their native language he has to be commanded to do so, otherwise he speaks in an unintelligible demonic language.) Ellen though, she wanted more than Earthly riches. She wanted to be a Queen in hell, after all, King Paimon is one of the 8 king's of hell according to the Lesser Key of Solomon.

Hold your horses there, boys. The Omen rules, no doubt about it, but Damien: Omen II is also awesome.

Hold on a second, I'm pretty much with you there bud. I was the one trying to fend off @europe1 's fiendish attacks.

Last edited:
I'm not sure the connection was ever what Annie thought it was. I think she was tricked by the cult and by Paimon as well.

See, I know what you're saying here, and it's plausible, but the fact that you have to say stuff like "I'm not sure" and "I think" in relation to HUGE and SIGNIFICANT plot points just makes me want to go on another rant :mad:

Paimon didn't want Steve's body, he wasn't suitable, too old. So he had to be dealt with. Unwittingly, Annie sacrifices Steve by throwing the book into the fire which in turn gave Paimon enough power or permission to fully possess her. Which he did at that moment and then ultimately forced Annie to saw her own head off in the most jarring scene of the film. Annie thought the book was attached to her because when she originally threw it in the fire her arm caught fire a little bit.

I think this was demonic deception on the part of Paimon. My evidence is that when she threw the book in for Steve he caught full blown inferno, no escape. When she threw the book in and she caught on fire it was just a little flame on her arm. It was Annie being drawn deeper and deeper into the deception.

Again, I know what you're saying here, and it's plausible; however, would it fuck with your interpretation here if I pointed out that an alternative explanation for the way the book catches on fire is the first time she threw it in the fire she just tossed it in whereas the second time she doused it in lighter fluid? Because that'd seem to explain the slow burn the first time and the instant inferno the second time. Of course, that doesn't necessarily cancel out your interpretation, but it seems relevant.

She was the one that did the seance, she was the one that witnessed the automatic writing in the journal, she was the one that threw it in the fire. I think it was Steve's ass all along, she just was tricked by a demon.

Even if this is true, I'd still want to complain about it not being effective. I think it was @Cubo de Sangre who said something about that switcheroo being obvious, but I didn't see that coming at all because there was no groundwork laid for the switcheroo. If we want to try to piece together an explanation like yours, Muster, after the fact, that's one thing, and maybe it's right and maybe it's wrong, but even if it's right, the fact that we have to piece it together after the fact rather than having clues or foreshadowing shit giving little hints and having us wonder who's next, who's on the hook, etc., during the film, is yet another indication of poor plotting in my book.

My point with that being she wasn't decapitated until after she died.

Ah, I get your point. I guess, to keep harping on my poor plotting complaints, this would be where less scenes of Annie in miniature land and more scenes featuring The Ring-style investigative efforts on Annie's part piecing together her mother's past and the nature of her cult would've not only enhanced the mystery and suspense elements but would've also illuminated more of the central enigmas involving the Queen. Because you're right, there is a decapitation discrepancy that's never explained.

Hold on a second, I'm pretty much with you there bud. I was the one trying to fend off @europe1 's fiendish attacks.

giphy.gif

Ok, good. So it's just that crazy @europe1 then :D

See, I know what you're saying here, and it's plausible, but the fact that you have to say stuff like "I'm not sure" and "I think" in relation to HUGE and SIGNIFICANT plot points just makes me want to go on another rant :mad:

Again, I know what you're saying here, and it's plausible; however, would it fuck with your interpretation here if I pointed out that an alternative explanation for the way the book catches on fire is the first time she threw it in the fire she just tossed it in whereas the second time she doused it in lighter fluid? Because that'd seem to explain the slow burn the first time and the instant inferno the second time. Of course, that doesn't necessarily cancel out your interpretation, but it seems relevant.

Even if this is true, I'd still want to complain about it not being effective. I think it was @Cubo de Sangre who said something about that switcheroo being obvious, but I didn't see that coming at all because there was no groundwork laid for the switcheroo. If we want to try to piece together an explanation like yours, Muster, after the fact, that's one thing, and maybe it's right and maybe it's wrong, but even if it's right, the fact that we have to piece it together after the fact rather than having clues or foreshadowing shit giving little hints and having us wonder who's next, who's on the hook, etc., during the film, is yet another indication of poor plotting in my book.

Ah, I get your point. I guess, to keep harping on my poor plotting complaints, this would be where less scenes of Annie in miniature land and more scenes featuring The Ring-style investigative efforts on Annie's part piecing together her mother's past and the nature of her cult would've not only enhanced the mystery and suspense elements but would've also illuminated more of the central enigmas involving the Queen. Because you're right, there is a decapitation discrepancy that's never explained.

giphy.gif

Ok, good. So it's just that crazy @europe1 then :D

I had this plot hole problem and ambiguity to a much greater degree with a film like Prisoners (2013) which had obvious plot holes in it not by design but I think just by poor writing. The fact that the kid that was kidnapped and tortured in that film was named Alex Jones just further fucks with my head. Sometimes when these ambiguities or plot holes happen its by design, sometimes when they happen its from poor writing and directing.

For example, being that you are a person who can't seem to stomach guesswork, how does this make you feel Mr. Bullitt?

stanley-kubric-film-fan-13.jpg

I believe The Shining is a tremendous work of horror but it is confusing and contains plot holes that are never resolved. Is this from poor writing or by design? I tend to think in this case its by design. In Prisoners (2013) it seemed due to poor writing. With Hereditary, your main complaint seems to be the guesswork involved with things like Paimon being in Charlie's body the entire time, the transference of the burning curse from Annie to Steve, probably even the grandmother Ellen's body turning up in the attic because who could have done that and how was it accomplished? Could have been Annie, could have been the cult, but how do you get a body in the attic without everyone noticing?

I find some of the same problems in The Shining. When Danny goes all Redrum he has a bruise on his neck. Was this caused by his psychotic father or was it caused by the old hag in Room 237?

tumblr_ncjlt5iC2q1rp0vkjo1_500.gif

In the end, I guess the guesswork in Hereditary does not distract me enough to not appreciate the effort here by Ari Aster. Most horror is not well done. I don't know why but horror is one of the most difficult genres to do well. There just are not that many horror masterpieces. I think Hereditary is deserving of at least a nod of confidence. Its not a masterpiece but its a pretty damn good film.

Back