SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Week Week 161 - Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far on Foot

europe1

It´s a nice peninsula to Asia
@Steel
Reaction score
NOTE to NON-MEMBERS: Interested in joining the SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB? Shoot us a PM for more info!

Here's a quick list of all movies watched by the SMC. Or if you prefer, here's a more detailed examination.

dont-worry-he-wont-get-far-on-foot-taiwanese-movie-poster.jpg

Our Director
Gus Van Zant

(Remember him from Week 80's movie Drugstore Cowboy?)

gus_van_sant_01.jpg

Gus Van Sant was born in Louisville, Kentucky, the son of Betty (née Seay) and Gus Green Van Sant, Sr; Gus's father was a clothing manufacturer and traveling salesman who rapidly worked his way into middle class prosperity, holding executive marketing positions that included being president of the White Stag Manufacturing Company's Apparel Operation. As a result of his father's job, the family moved continually during Van Sant's childhood.

His paternal family is of partial Dutch origin; the name "Van Sant" is derived from the Dutch name "Van Zandt". The earliest Van Zandt arrived in the New Netherland area in the early 17th century, around what is now New York City.

Van Sant is an alumnus of Darien High School in Darien, Connecticut, and The Catlin Gabel School in Portland, Oregon. One constant in the director's early years was his interest in visual arts (namely, painting and Super-8 filmmaking); while still in school he began making semi-autobiographical shorts costing between 30 and 50 dollars. Van Sant's artistic leanings took him to the Rhode Island School of Design in 1970, where his introduction to various avant-garde directors inspired him to change his major from painting to cinema.

After spending time in Europe, Van Sant went to Los Angeles in 1976. He secured a job as a production assistant to writer/director Ken Shapiro, with whom he developed a few ideas, none of which came to fruition. In 1981, Van Sant made Alice in Hollywood, a film about a naïve young actress who goes to Hollywood and abandons her ideals. It was never released. During this period, Van Sant began to spend time observing the denizens of the more down-and-out sections of Hollywood Boulevard. He became fascinated by the existence of this marginalized section of L.A.'s population, especially in context with the more ordinary, prosperous world that surrounded them. Van Sant would repeatedly focus his work on those existing on society's fringes, making his feature film directorial debut Mala Noche.

It was made two years after Van Sant went to New York to work in an advertising agency. He saved $20,000 during his tenure there, enabling him to finance the majority of his tale of doomed love between a gay liquor store clerk and a Mexican immigrant. The film, which was taken from Portland street writer Walt Curtis' semi-autobiographical novella, featured some of the director's hallmarks, notably an unfulfilled romanticism, a dry sense of the absurd, and the refusal to treat homosexuality as something deserving of judgment. Unlike many gay filmmakers, Van Sant—who had long been openly gay—declined to use same-sex relationships as fodder for overtly political statements, although such relationships would frequently appear in his films.

Our Star
Joaquin Phoenix
220px-Joaquin_Phoenix_at_the_2018_Berlin_Film_Festival.jpg

Film Overview

Premise: On the rocky path to sobriety after a life-changing accident, John Callahan discovers the healing power of art, willing his injured hands into drawing hilarious, often controversial cartoons, which bring him a new lease on life.

Budget: $7.5 million

Box Office: $3.9 million

Trivia
(Courtesy of IMDB)

* Director Gus Van Sant originally planned to make this movie in the 1990s, with Robin Williams starring as John Callahan.

* Gus Van Sant directed Joaquin Phoenix's brother River Phoenix in "My Own Private Idaho"(1991).

* This movie was based on a true story about John Callahan, who himself wrote and sung the music track called "Texas when you go", which song can be heard during the end credits of this movie.

* One of the skateboarder kids who help Joaquin Phoenix, when he has an accident with his wheelchair, is a nephew of Joaquin, called Leo Phoenix.

* The actor Udo Kier has also been in Gus Van Sant's film My Own Private Idaho; his character's name was also called Hans.

* Director Gus van Sant has a cameo role as the Willamette week editor.

Members: @europe1 @MusterX @Kyojiro @Cubo de Sangre @FrontNakedChoke @Mr Mojo Lane @Minotauro Rex Foot @Tufts @chickenluver @RightEyeRick @Scott Parker 27 @Coolthulu @OMGstreetfight @Yotsuya @jei @LHWBelt @moreorless87 @HARRISON_3 @Bullitt68 @HenryFlower @Zer @TheLinguist @Rimbaud82

Good movie with nice structure and pretty perfect non-sentimental emotional tone. I'm happy I got around watching this. Would not have happened without SMC, so all glory to the program!

I like Joaquin Phoenix so I’ll sit down this weekend to watch

I've watched this twice in the last month.

Here we go again. My mistake for thinking Leaving Las Vegas was gonna take the cake.

I dont care. It was in my top 3 movies of last year. Let's do dis.

Also, I was irritated when Jonah Hill didnt get nominated for best supporting actor. Dude is a beast in this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've watched this twice in the last month.

Here we go again. My mistake for thinking Leaving Las Vegas was gonna take the cake.

I dont care. It was in my top 3 movies of last year. Let's do dis.

Also, I was irritated when Jonah Hill didnt get nominated for best supporting actor. Dude is a beast in this.

Jonah Hill was the bright spot in the movie imo.

Basically my thoughts on this is it was a good look at how alcoholism can affect a man. I've seen it happen many times and it's rough. I got plenty of friends with DUIs and a father in law with issues so it should have hit home. It didn't. It should have but Phoenix was an asshole. It was hard for me to care about a douche like that. Jonah Hill was excellent as the AA group leader though. He was the only one I cared about in the movie really. He's turning into an excellent actor and he almost made this thing salvageable. I give it a 5/10 because the acting was legitimately good it was just boring as hell and I didn't care for Phoenix's character in the slightest.

Oh let me be fair to the movie. The scene where Phoenix confronted Jack Black was actually really great and is probably the best dramatic acting I've ever seen of Jack Black.

Oh let me be fair to the movie. The scene where Phoenix confronted Jack Black was actually really great and is probably the best dramatic acting I've ever seen of Jack Black.
I was also most of the time wondering if I was actually supposed to care about Phoenix’s character and around this scene I started to. I think that was pretty effective pacing. If you think someone is an asshole, it’s easier to watch him suffer and to go through the process of getting his shit together without the movie getting sentimental.

NOTE to NON-MEMBERS: Interested in joining the SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB? Shoot us a PM for more info!

Here's a quick list of all movies watched by the SMC. Or if you prefer, here's a more detailed examination.

dont-worry-he-wont-get-far-on-foot-taiwanese-movie-poster.jpg

Our Director
Gus Van Zant

(Remember him from Week 80's movie Drugstore Cowboy?)

gus_van_sant_01.jpg

Gus Van Sant was born in Louisville, Kentucky, the son of Betty (née Seay) and Gus Green Van Sant, Sr; Gus's father was a clothing manufacturer and traveling salesman who rapidly worked his way into middle class prosperity, holding executive marketing positions that included being president of the White Stag Manufacturing Company's Apparel Operation. As a result of his father's job, the family moved continually during Van Sant's childhood.

His paternal family is of partial Dutch origin; the name "Van Sant" is derived from the Dutch name "Van Zandt". The earliest Van Zandt arrived in the New Netherland area in the early 17th century, around what is now New York City.

Van Sant is an alumnus of Darien High School in Darien, Connecticut, and The Catlin Gabel School in Portland, Oregon. One constant in the director's early years was his interest in visual arts (namely, painting and Super-8 filmmaking); while still in school he began making semi-autobiographical shorts costing between 30 and 50 dollars. Van Sant's artistic leanings took him to the Rhode Island School of Design in 1970, where his introduction to various avant-garde directors inspired him to change his major from painting to cinema.

After spending time in Europe, Van Sant went to Los Angeles in 1976. He secured a job as a production assistant to writer/director Ken Shapiro, with whom he developed a few ideas, none of which came to fruition. In 1981, Van Sant made Alice in Hollywood, a film about a naïve young actress who goes to Hollywood and abandons her ideals. It was never released. During this period, Van Sant began to spend time observing the denizens of the more down-and-out sections of Hollywood Boulevard. He became fascinated by the existence of this marginalized section of L.A.'s population, especially in context with the more ordinary, prosperous world that surrounded them. Van Sant would repeatedly focus his work on those existing on society's fringes, making his feature film directorial debut Mala Noche.

It was made two years after Van Sant went to New York to work in an advertising agency. He saved $20,000 during his tenure there, enabling him to finance the majority of his tale of doomed love between a gay liquor store clerk and a Mexican immigrant. The film, which was taken from Portland street writer Walt Curtis' semi-autobiographical novella, featured some of the director's hallmarks, notably an unfulfilled romanticism, a dry sense of the absurd, and the refusal to treat homosexuality as something deserving of judgment. Unlike many gay filmmakers, Van Sant—who had long been openly gay—declined to use same-sex relationships as fodder for overtly political statements, although such relationships would frequently appear in his films.

Our Star
Joaquin Phoenix
220px-Joaquin_Phoenix_at_the_2018_Berlin_Film_Festival.jpg

Film Overview

Premise: On the rocky path to sobriety after a life-changing accident, John Callahan discovers the healing power of art, willing his injured hands into drawing hilarious, often controversial cartoons, which bring him a new lease on life.

Budget: $7.5 million

Box Office: $3.9 million

Trivia
(Courtesy of IMDB)

* Director Gus Van Sant originally planned to make this movie in the 1990s, with Robin Williams starring as John Callahan.

* Gus Van Sant directed Joaquin Phoenix's brother River Phoenix in "My Own Private Idaho"(1991).

* This movie was based on a true story about John Callahan, who himself wrote and sung the music track called "Texas when you go", which song can be heard during the end credits of this movie.

* One of the skateboarder kids who help Joaquin Phoenix, when he has an accident with his wheelchair, is a nephew of Joaquin, called Leo Phoenix.

* The actor Udo Kier has also been in Gus Van Sant's film My Own Private Idaho; his character's name was also called Hans.

* Director Gus van Sant has a cameo role as the Willamette week editor.

Members: @europe1 @MusterX @Kyojiro @Cubo de Sangre @FrontNakedChoke @Mr Mojo Lane @Minotauro Rex Foot @Tufts @chickenluver @RightEyeRick @Scott Parker 27 @Coolthulu @OMGstreetfight @Yotsuya @jei @LHWBelt @moreorless87 @HARRISON_3 @Bullitt68 @HenryFlower @Zer @TheLinguist @Rimbaud82

That was a good movie, I was not bored the whole way through. I normally do not like/despise Jonah Hill in everything but he was great in this. For me it was interesting seeing all of the steps being worked and what actually happens in AA/NA. I should have been through both through the various addictions I have had throughout my life, but somehow dodged it and quit organically without the steps. I liked the movie showed the progression of what happens when you are paralyzed through waking up to finally figuring shit out.

I feel like Gus Van Zant makes inspirational movies for people who don't like inspirational movies.

I was hoping this would be a good film and (for my money) it turned out to be great. Such good drama. Some laughs sprinkled around to cut the mood. Great acting by Phoenix, Hill, and Black. Some great eye candy to brighten up scenes. Effective editing (with all the changes in timeline). Somehow the religious aspect of the 12 step program makes more sense now. Easily one of the better films the club has selected.

I loved this movie. The scene with Jack Black near the end got me directly in the feels.

Good movie with nice structure and pretty perfect non-sentimental emotional tone. I'm happy I got around watching this. Would not have happened without SMC, so all glory to the program!

Same. This is not a movie I would have watched without the club. I tend to avoid films with this type of heavy subject. I was curious about it the first time it got nominated as @Cubo de Sangre has several of Callahan's books and I am very familiar with his drawings. I still didn't watch it though. Glad it was nominated again and won.

Somehow the religious aspect of the 12 step program makes more sense now. Easily one of the better films the club has selected.

The whole twelve step thing is very interesting. I've had a lot of conversations with the mother of an addict that brought the importance the steps have of believing in God to light for me. The premise is you have to surrender to the fact that you are powerless, and the only way to pick yourself up in that condition is to believe there is a higher power watching over you. I guess you could also call it hope, but there has to be something. I found myself wondering what atheist addicts do to overcome their additions.

The whole twelve step thing is very interesting. I've had a lot of conversations with the mother of an addict that brought the importance the steps have of believing in God to light for me. The premise is you have to surrender to the fact that you are powerless, and the only way to pick yourself up in that condition is to believe there is a higher power watching over you. I guess you could also call it hope, but there has to be something. I found myself wondering what atheist addicts do to overcome their additions.
As an atheist in recovery, perhaps I can shed some light on the topic. AA and NA are not the same organization, but NA is based on AA and has many similarities.

Belief in a "higher power" is an important part of recovery, because addicts tend to live in their own head and to mostly look out for and rely on themselves.

When dealing with something as formidable as addiction, it is easy to get discouraged and even a moment of weakness can have devastating consequences.

Belief in a higher power, or at least something greater that yourself, can and does help with those moments of doubt.

Atheists often struggle with the idea of a higher power, but it ultimately becomes a personal decision to live for something other than yourself. It can be any number of things, sometimes family, friends, or the NA group you belong to. Sometimes the rest of the human race.

Basically, the answer varies from person to person. I stay sober for my family, specifically my niece and nephew.

Like I said before, I would not have watched this movie without the club nominating it. So thank you SMC. I actually really enjoyed it.

giphy.gif

It helps that being a fan of Callahan's work, I was primed to learn more about him and had a natural curiosity that wanted to be sated. It also helps that I did not realize that this was in essence a movie about alcoholism, not a movie about paralysis. While I wasn't interested in a movie about quadriplegic struggles, I was even less interested in a movie about addiction. Not knowing this was a major theme kept me from dreading it and helped me be open to the story. It was interesting to me that the focus was on the alcoholism. Very little effort went into detailing the struggles that went into overcoming his injuries, I guess because in the end, it was not the injuries holding him back, they were a side effect (albeit a humongous side effect) of his real issue, being an alcoholic as a result of maternal abandonment. It resonated of his girl saying that sometimes you have to become weak before you can become strong.

I thought Phoenix and Black played their roles beautifully, but that Hill stole the show. He almost came across as cartoonish, but in the end really delivered a lovely, likable, loving, and sensitive performance.

upload_2019-6-7_9-59-14.jpeg

I do feel that Phoenix was a little old for this part, and that make up was not able to make him look the age he was during the time of the accident, which was 21.

images

This may be my main complaint about the film. It was hard for me to establish what was happening when during this movie. I feel that it was over-edited. Often movies will introduce a change in physical characteristics (different haircut, moustache, clothing style to reflect a decade) that helps you track timelines. In this movie his hair was a little longer or a little shorter but that was all, so the timeline wasn't clear to me at all. It made me wonder if this was done on purpose. As in it didn't matter what happened when as he was constantly going in circles struggling with his alcoholism. It seems obvious knowing what I know about alcoholism that he would be falling on and off the bus. I did wonder when he spoke to Hill about the 12th step if he fell off the bus when he realized he needed to forgive himself. The following scene showed him going to the bar and I couldn't tell if it was a flashback. Also, was he drinking at any point while dating his girl? Did they eventually get Timmy on board to be a better caretaker and stop providing him with alcohol?

giphy.gif

I thought the film dipped a little into self pity when Callahan would obsess about his mother. I feel like an asshole saying this, but it seems like at some point would you have to stop letting that define you as an adult. The self destruction that obsession led to was truly life altering for Callahan. It was heard breaking and heart wrenching, but also felt a little self indulgent. I wonder if his focus on abandonment was as highlighted in his book. As an artist, Callahan was very self-deprecating. I'm just not sure he would have approved of the rampant self pity that would occasionally take over the mood of the film.

I was also curious about his relationship with his adopted family. He identified as an orphan a couple of times in the movie. I thought it was totally twisted that babies were kept for six months in case the birth mothers changed their minds. Poor babies. I'm guessing he was eventually adopted, but when? That makes a huge difference in how well a child can adapt to a new family. Also, he references brothers. Were they also adopted or were they biological children of the parents? Those are very different circumstances that would also have a big impact on the family dynamics. It is interesting to me that we never see any family members in the movie. I noticed a couple of Callahans referenced at the end of the movie as consultants, which made me wonder if they were related, and if so, what role did they play in the movie itself.

The scene with the nurse annoyed me. It felt utterly unrealistic and gratuitous. And the relationship with the girlfriend bothered me a little too. It felt a little too easy and joyous. I thought for sure something was going to happen to her when she said goodbye to him in the car. I think we were meant to think that, as she was the last one to be shown in the audience during his speech. Not sure what the point of that was. My main complaint is that the relationship was shown through a romcom filter, that struck me as unrealistic.

images

I also don't buy the speed at which his chair moved.

One of my favourite scenes was the one where he interacted with the kids. Their skate ramp was completely hilarious. I felt the scene was well written and executed. I loved the innocence of their questions. I really enjoyed their curiosity and kindness towards him.

One thing the film could have done better was in making his cartoons easier to read. I get that on the big screen the font would have been more legible, and admittedly, I didn't bother to get up, walk across the room and pause my feed. I also recognized several of the cartoons, but I still found myself frustrated not being able to actually read the words before the images disappeared. I think this could have been filmed better where maybe the camera started by focusing on the words and then zooming out to show the images. Or that they only used cartoons with very few words.

images

Overall though, I thought Van Sant did a great jog of taking a couple of very, very heavy subjects and making them palatable and entertaining. At no point was I bored. The acting was excellent and I'm glad I watched this. It also really brought home just how terribly destructive alcohol can be.

As an atheist in recovery, perhaps I can shed some light on the topic. AA and NA are not the same organization, but NA is based on AA and has many similarities.

Belief in a "higher power" is an important part of recovery, because addicts tend to live in their own head and to mostly look out for and rely on themselves.

When dealing with something as formidable as addiction, it is easy to get discouraged and even a moment of weakness can have devastating consequences.

Belief in a higher power, or at least something greater that yourself, can and does help with those moments of doubt.

Atheists often struggle with the idea of a higher power, but it ultimately becomes a personal decision to live for something other than yourself. It can be any number of things, sometimes family, friends, or the NA group you belong to. Sometimes the rest of the human race.

Basically, the answer varies from person to person. I stay sober for my family, specifically my niece and nephew.

Thank you for sharing. This makes total sense and I have a lot of respect for you.

In a way, this harkens back to when Hill in the movie said he always remembered the look on the face of his partner when he found Hill seizing in the living room, and that that kept him from drinking. I guess it is about getting out of your head and seeing a bigger picture and finding a purpose that is outside of yourself. There have been times when things were really rough for me, and what kept me going was the people who loved me and who needed me in the world. I feel like this is similar, only on a much much larger scale.

Back