Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v5: Stop Thinking of Your Router as a Peripheral

Status
Not open for further replies.
I built my first pc last year as a budget built and am thinking about upgrading some things. What would people recommend?

-AMD FD6300WMHKBOX FX-6300 6-Core Processor Black Edition
-ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS AM3+ AMD 760G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
-XFX Double D R9 270 925MHz Boost 2GB DDR5 DP HDMI 2XDVI Graphics Card (R9270ACDFC)
-Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB 1866MHz DDR3 CL10 DIMM - Blue (HX318C10F/8) x2
-XFX TS 550w Full Wired 80+ Bronze Power Supply - P1550SXXB9
-WD Blue 1 TB Desktop Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, 7200 RPM, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64 MB Cache - WD10EZEX
-Rosewill Dual Fans MicroATX Mini Tower Computer Case FBM-01

I know I need a new hard drive, I will probably pick up a SSD. I do some gaming, but I also edit photos and do a little video editing.

SSD for sure and I'd replace the case fans with better ones

I built my first pc last year as a budget built and am thinking about upgrading some things. What would people recommend?

-XFX Double D R9 270 925MHz Boost 2GB DDR5 DP HDMI 2XDVI Graphics Card (R9270ACDFC)
-WD Blue 1 TB Desktop Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, 7200 RPM, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64 MB Cache - WD10EZEX

I know I need a new hard drive, I will probably pick up a SSD. I do some gaming, but I also edit photos and do a little video editing.

That graphics card Hughesfan just posted is a freaking steal, you would see a huge jump in performance from that. Otherwise, the SSD is the most obvious

Got a question regarding AMD Athlon x4 860k and GPU bottlnecks, looked through the thread a bit and didn't seam to find an answer, though I am dyslexic sooooo....

Building an entry level gaming rig for a buddy as a Christmas gift. The emphasis will be on case, PSU and storage as his current rig is an old ass slim dell POS. Want to give him a good skeleton to last a few years. Nabbed an 860k for $48 and am now reading it has a bottleneck with anything over 270x? WTF? I mean, obviously it depends on the game but holy shit, I would have never expected that with a "modern" quad. Even an AMD. Anyway, I did some more reading and people expect DX12 to alleviate this issue. Just curious if anyone has more info on this matter.

Got a question regarding AMD Athlon x4 860k and GPU bottlnecks, looked through the thread a bit and didn't seam to find an answer, though I am dyslexic sooooo....

Building an entry level gaming rig for a buddy as a Christmas gift. The emphasis will be on case, PSU and storage as his current rig is an old ass slim dell POS. Want to give him a good skeleton to last a few years. Nabbed an 860k for $48 and am now reading it has a bottleneck with anything over 270x? WTF? I mean, obviously it depends on the game but holy shit, I would have never expected that with a "modern" quad. Even an AMD. Anyway, I did some more reading and people expect DX12 to alleviate this issue. Just curious if anyone has more info on this matter.

I don't but I mean for $48 you can't expect a lot modern or not

Skip harddrive (your fine with your current drive) and upgrade the GPU

8 gigs of ram, fx 6300 paired with a 970 or a R9 390 would be killer (computer would 100% last you the entire generation if you stay 1080p)

I've been building PC's and posting on pc boards since 2002 and the word bottleneck is the most overused word by a landslide

Consoles are using a CPU that' was used in lowend laptops in 2011. An 860K is hardly a killer but paired with a good midrange card like the R9 380/280x, it will get the job done

Anyone got any monitor suggestions? No brand preference but looking for a 24-27 inch monitor and around $200-225. I mostly do gaming and video streaming.

I'll be working a dusty environment this winter but I'll be able to game most of the time, I pretty much just have to babysit a machine. I came across this PC filter bag. What do you guys think?

dirtbag_tower_cover.jpg

Skip harddrive (your fine with your current drive) and upgrade the GPU

8 gigs of ram, fx 6300 paired with a 970 or a R9 390 would be killer (computer would 100% last you the entire generation if you stay 1080p)

If I get either of those I will also need to upgrade my PSU and cooling wouldn't I? For the time being would crossfiring another r9 270x be a good option? I am also currently running 16 gigs of ram.

Can anyone recommend a workstation/desk? I've so far got my eye on this one but I've got a 760t ATX case and I know that won't fit in the slots underneath.
fredde-workstation-black__0253149_PE400021_S4.JPG

Also because I'm primarily going to be using a 27" 1080p monitor, I don't want to sit a foot away, I want to sit a good distance away so if anyone knows of a large work desk that can support a keyboard tray that hangs out further that the normal ones. many thanks

If I get either of those I will also need to upgrade my PSU and cooling wouldn't I? For the time being would crossfiring another r9 270x be a good option? I am also currently running 16 gigs of ram.
Powersupply wouldn't need to be upgraded (most of the XFX are single railed powersupplies that are actually made by seasonic and sold under the XFX name). Not only that but the 970 is a very power efficient card (r9 390 can consume some power but nothing a solid 550 watt powersupply couldn't handle )

Case it wouldn't hurt to upgrade but if there's no issues currently then it wouldn't be needed (if your not overclocking then the third party coolers that come on most graphics cards would be sufficient ).

Powersupply wouldn't need to be upgraded (most of the XFX are single railed powersupplies that are actually made by seasonic and sold under the XFX name). Not only that but the 970 is a very power efficient card (r9 390 can consume some power but nothing a solid 550 watt powersupply couldn't handle )

Case it wouldn't hurt to upgrade but if there's no issues currently then it wouldn't be needed (if your not overclocking then the third party coolers that come on most graphics cards would be sufficient ).

Thanks, it probably would be a good idea to upgrade the case, it has been nothing but trouble. I received it with tabs broken off the case and the power button only working sometimes. But, I was being cheap and I think it cost $10.

If that is what you have the budget for, but if you got the money for the 970 it's a lot better option

Thanks for the advice guys, I will check out that case, $50 isn't bad and I don't think it would take all that long to transfer stuff. The only reason I thought about a r9 270x crossfire as a stopgap is because my local bestbuy had one on clearance yesterday for $100.

Thanks for the advice guys, I will check out that case, $50 isn't bad and I don't think it would take all that long to transfer stuff. The only reason I thought about a r9 270x crossfire as a stopgap is because my local bestbuy had one on clearance yesterday for $100.
I would avoid crossfire (the last 3 generations have had large time gaps of driver issues).

$100 is good but you should be able to get close to 100 for your current one if you sell it (so that's 200 bucks that could go towards a 970 or 390).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back