Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v5: Stop Thinking of Your Router as a Peripheral

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/HMnyKZ

D14 keeps your K CPU ice cold and you won't even hear it.
r5>r4 same price fixes the r4s shortcomings, you may want to add another silent fan or two-the noise insulation can make things hot.
I personally avoid Asrock and MSI products like the plague. I picked the tried and true Asus mobo, but there are solid Gigabyte models in that price range too.

You'll hardly notice a difference between 2400mhz ram and 3000mhz, plus G.Skill is highly regarded. Never heard of that other brand

That mini itx card has a great price, but it'll be loud, hot, and won't have much overclocking headroom. EVGA GPUs are the way to go.

Back to EVGA, you chose an outdated and inferior PSU. Get the G2- trust me. I have the NEX- it's loud, less energy efficient, and inferior in product quality to the g2.

As for your SSD- black Friday should have those bad boys dipping close to $100(I saw them as low as $130 last and they came with a solid game).
I wouldn't even mess with the 2.5" SSD, spend the extra money and get an m.2 version
GeIl has been around awhile, I had a set in a Socket A board. They were chrome iirc.
The Phanteks PHTC14PE runs neck and neck with the DH-15 and is cheaper, it goes on sale often also. It looks way better also.
maxresdefault.jpg

Phanteks-PHTC14PE-Red_40.jpg

index.php

Last edited:
I wouldn't even mess with the 2.5" SSD, spend the extra money and get an m.2 version
GeIl has been around awhile, I had a set in a Socket A board. They were chrome iirc.
The Phanteks PHTC14PE runs neck and neck with the DH-15 and is cheaper, it goes on sale often also. It looks way better also.
maxresdefault.jpg

index.php
I just wouldn't trust a product advertising 3000mhz when no other company is within even 15% of that price. I didn't find a bench but I'd play it safe and go with Corsair, Crucial, or G.Skill.

M.2 is kinda gimmicky aside from its compactness. It doesnt run any faster than the 2.5" drives, excluding the very few and extremely expensive ones which you can run with a PCIe adapter. All typical m.2 and 2.5" drives are capped at 550MB/s. Except for the Pro 950 and a few others (Plextor I believe) which can run at 2500-3000MB/s on a PCI lane. Interesting to note: Crucial canceled their plans to make a PCIe capable drive.

They def look better but they're louder, still run hotter, and surely lower quality. As for the price I'm seeing the d14 for $70 and the Phantek for $65 (after rebate, $75 before)

Good alternative for those who can't stand the look of Noctua however- hell I may use one for my next build they look awesome.

I just wouldn't trust a product advertising 3000mhz when no other company is within even 15% of that price. I didn't find a bench but I'd play it safe and go with Corsair, Crucial, or G.Skill.

M.2 is kinda gimmicky aside from its compactness. It doesnt run any faster than the 2.5" drives, excluding the very few and extremely expensive ones which you can run with a PCIe adapter. All typical m.2 and 2.5" drives are capped at 550MB/s. Except for the Pro 950 and a few others (Plextor I believe) which can run at 2500-3000MB/s on a PCI lane. Interesting to note: Crucial canceled their plans to make a PCIe capable drive.

They def look better but they're louder, still run hotter, and surely lower quality. As for the price I'm seeing the d14 for $70 and the Phantek for $65 (after rebate, $75 before)

Good alternative for those who can't stand the look of Noctua however- hell I may use one for my next build they look awesome.
Every benchmark I've seen the phanteks is less than 1 degree apart, plus or minus. most charts don't have an ambient temperature to compare so that 1 degree could be the margin of error. Noise levels, they squeak out ahead of the dh15.
Quality wise, I've never held one in my hands but they get rave reviews. Almost every phanteks product gets rave reviews. I have a phanteks case and cooling fans and they're both built like tanks.

maxresdefault.jpg

index.php

I know those are close up pictures but those look like wind turbines

Just my luck, PSU packed up like a bitch.
cZ4WCJR.jpg

I was running stable at 4.4Ghz at 1.21v. Just updated my BIOS and about 30 seconds later, it switched off. I'm glad it was the PSU, I was dreading a dud mobo or CPU. I've got an RMA Request with EVGA, hopefully I'm up and running within a week.

OK Bad news, either the CPU has died or the Mobo has partially died.

With CPU power, PC does not switch on.
Without CPU power, Motherboard and cooler switch on, but 3 out of 4 case fans do not switch on.
Mobo responds to clear cmos button (by switching off and on itself) but it doesn't show any signs of operating, no error LED's show up on the board.

Not even a signal detection on my monitor.

I think the Mobo has fucked up, but I hope it didn't kill the CPU with it.

This was after a BIOS update, it ran for about 15 seconds, whilst I was in BIOS, I noticed the XMP was set to 3000mhz DDR4 even though my RAM is only 2400mhz, anyway after about 15 seconds it auto-switched off and didn't come back on.

Wondering if you gents wouldnt mind taking a look at a rig i threw together. My last pc was built around 6 years ago so its time to upgrade. I don't have any particular needs but would like to make it 1440 capable. If you guys see any value places i could switch around or if you think i should wait on a deal to come out Im all ears. Not in any big hurry.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/9jCFgL
Was reading TomsHardware this morning and saw that Amazon has the Platinum(P2) rated version of the same EVGA PSU for the same $100 price. I also noticed the case price fluctuated a bit. If price is ever a factor and you're okay with buying piece by piece, you'll find that almost every component goes on sale/has a solid rebate at some point. Patience can save you a solid 15-25%(thats a 1080 insgead of a 1070 or halfway to a 1440p gaming monitor)- and so can buying used through Amazon Warehouse Deals(Make sure it's fulfilled).

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/GdfRvV

OK Bad news, either the CPU has died or the Mobo has partially died.

With CPU power, PC does not switch on.
Without CPU power, Motherboard and cooler switch on, but 3 out of 4 case fans do not switch on.
Mobo responds to clear cmos button (by switching off and on itself) but it doesn't show any signs of operating, no error LED's show up on the board.

Not even a signal detection on my monitor.

I think the Mobo has fucked up, but I hope it didn't kill the CPU with it.

This was after a BIOS update, it ran for about 15 seconds, whilst I was in BIOS, I noticed the XMP was set to 3000mhz DDR4 even though my RAM is only 2400mhz, anyway after about 15 seconds it auto-switched off and didn't come back on.
Sounds like some dicey shit. If you have extra RAM sticks lying around give them a try otherwise remove half and see what happens. I'd also try plugging those case fans directly to the PSU SEE what happens

Sounds like some dicey shit. If you have extra RAM sticks lying around give them a try otherwise remove half and see what happens. I'd also try plugging those case fans directly to the PSU SEE what happens
Yo, it's no use, I tried with just 1 stick, same shit. But check it out, I used a 1000w PSU I had lying around, this time when I powered on, same shit BUT a tiny smell came from the CPU area! it wasn't burning, more like some sort of electrical smell. I have a feeling this PSU isn't going to protect my CPU like my EVGA is. I've sent a support ticket to ASUS, I know they'll RMA this piece of shit, but this is gonna take ages, I live in the UK. These mf'ers don't even have a call service for their desktop components, you have to email them! EVGA customer service was excellent!

Yo, it's no use, I tried with just 1 stick, same shit. But check it out, I used a 1000w PSU I had lying around, this time when I powered on, same shit BUT a tiny smell came from the CPU area! it wasn't burning, more like some sort of electrical smell. I have a feeling this PSU isn't going to protect my CPU like my EVGA is. I've sent a support ticket to ASUS, I know they'll RMA this piece of shit, but this is gonna take ages, I live in the UK. These mf'ers don't even have a call service for their desktop components, you have to email them! EVGA customer service was excellent!
And that's why I stick with EVGA. Surprised to hear that about Asus however, I may rethink my trust in them if that's the case.

And that's why I stick with EVGA. Surprised to hear that about Asus however, I may rethink my trust in them if that's the case.
To be fair, it was running flawless before this, I've had it since August 2015, albeit I didn't use it normally until I got additionaly parts, so say it had about 4 months of solid, almost daily use.

I've heard many stories of ASUS X99 boards dying, specifically a bug which fries the CPU. But like I said before, the mobo is not showing my CPU as missing, so hopefully my CPU is alive, but from exp of others, it sounds like it will be dead too.

I want to see how ASUS deal with this, if it becomes too much back and forth, I'll just get it refunded and go to EVGA, they have 24/7 tech support and for us folks in the UK, they simply forward our calls to the US regional offices, which was pretty cool. It took them 2 days to organise an RMA for me. Ufortunately they don't have a cancel RMA button so I just emailed them saying my PSU is fine lol

So I need some help. My current build is

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
AMD FX-8320E
ASUS Radeon R9 380
16GB Ram
Asus VS278Q-P Monitor

I'm trying to play WoW at Ultra settings (1900x1080) but for some reason the fps fluctuates between 60-90fps. Lately, its been dropping to below 60fps (drops to 20-30 fps).

I should be able to run the game at 60+ fps but for some reason I cant. Drivers are updated, cleared the game cache and settings. Any suggestions?

AMD FX-8320E
ASUS Radeon R9 380
16GB Ram
Asus VS278Q-P Monitor

I'm trying to play WoW at Ultra settings (1900x1080) but for some reason the fps fluctuates between 60-90fps. Lately, its been dropping to below 60fps (drops to 20-30 fps).

I should be able to run the game at 60+ fps but for some reason I cant. Drivers are updated, cleared the game cache and settings. Any suggestions?

A quick search and it looks like a lot of people are having problems with a recent patch.

https://www.google.com/search?q=WOW+FPS+issues

AMD FX-8320E
ASUS Radeon R9 380
16GB Ram
Asus VS278Q-P Monitor

Check to make sure your add ons are up to date.

I don't wanna go through this whole thread, but I'm hoping someone can help me.

I've been running a Wireless-N router for years, and get about 100mbps wires, 20 wireless. I recently bought a wireless-ac1200 and wired I'm the same, but my wifi is at about only 14-15mbps... What the hell?

I've been running a Wireless-N router for years, and get about 100mbps wires, 20 wireless. I recently bought a wireless-ac1200 and wired I'm the same, but my wifi is at about only 14-15mbps... What the hell?
My first step would be to update the Firmware.

1. Make sure your wireless adapter is dual band.
2. Make sure you're connected to the 5Ghz band

Also, the 5G band has a much weaker signal. In my bedroom I get 180Mbps d/l but roommate literally 10 feet further from the router can't even connect using the same adapter but works just fine on the 2.4Ghz band(at the cost of reduced speed).

I did both. Turns out I had a defective unit. I exchanged it for the same model, and now I'm getting 48-50 DL. Which is twice as fast as before, but still not quite as fast as wired.

I did both. Turns out I had a defective unit. I exchanged it for the same model, and now I'm getting 48-50 DL. Which is twice as fast as before, but still not quite as fast as wired.

It's never going to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back