Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v5: Stop Thinking of Your Router as a Peripheral

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did both. Turns out I had a defective unit. I exchanged it for the same model, and now I'm getting 48-50 DL. Which is twice as fast as before, but still not quite as fast as wired.
Yeah, it might just be signal loss from distance or walls. It's easy to underestimate the drops. Apple has a pretty neat graphic for their Time Capsule page that gives you a good visual representation of how quickly bandwidth degrades as you move further out the radius.
http://www.apple.com/airport-time-capsule/

Even if the computer is literally right next to the router I see like 90% of Wired on website tests like Hardware Info or from other reviewers, but even that is higher than I'm used to seeing quoted when it's actually guys on forums like this one or Reddit where 70%-80% is more common.

It's never going to be.
There's quite a few factors. I would say try switching channels, and like someone above send, use Wifi Analyzer off your mobile (app) to see which channels are commonly used in your region and simply switch to one not in much use.

Also things like interference. Glass/Metal other electricals, etc.

I store my router on a wall shelf, nothing around it. Get great signal outdoors,etc on 5ghz. (Stock router from a broaband ISP)

Has anyone been using the steam controller? I got it this past weekend and I don't see a reason for everyone not using this thing. It seems to be the perfect controller for PC so far. I was able to play Pillars of Eternity with no keyboard easily. A little weird at first but after a few hours I'm a pro now. I was hesitant because people made it seem like it wasn't plug and play but it seems to be so far for me.

Has anyone been using the steam controller? I got it this past weekend and I don't see a reason for everyone not using this thing. It seems to be the perfect controller for PC so far. I was able to play Pillars of Eternity with no keyboard easily. A little weird at first but after a few hours I'm a pro now. I was hesitant because people made it seem like it wasn't plug and play but it seems to be so far for me.
Heard it's good for mouse/keyboard games. But I dunno, if I'm playing those kind of games, I need to see all the details (rts) so sitting at the desk would be ideal with the mouse and keyboard.

It's never going to be.
It'll get close enough eventually. Biggest problem I believe is signal fluctuation and packet loss.

5612836188.png

Tried it and returned it. Its construction quality makes Xbox and PS4 controllers feel like bargains at $60. They shouldn't be asking for more than $30 for how cheap that thing feels. As for its use it was weird and I couldn't get the hang of it but a friend of mine really liked it.

The one I got is an AC-1200.. If I get an AC-1750+ will the wireless speed be faster?

A quick blurb. I own an Asus AC-2400. I am still on my wifi something ridiculous like half a block away. The thing is even when I'm on top of my router it doesn't change the fact that you will still drop packets and lose speed if not consistently at least some of the time. Every non-mobile device I own is wired in as it should be which requires a switch but is well worth the time to run the wires.

Tried it and returned it. Its construction quality makes Xbox and PS4 controllers feel like bargains at $60. They shouldn't be asking for more than $30 for how cheap that thing feels. As for its use it was weird and I couldn't get the hang of it but a friend of mine really liked it.

I actually thought the quality was really nice. The way it vibrates when you just move your finger across the pad was amazing. When you tilt left and right as well just slight vibrations that are very subtle. I could do without the fancy box it's in though.

The one I got is an AC-1200.. If I get an AC-1750+ will the wireless speed be faster?
I believe that 1200&1750 numbers are just total bandwidth that the router can handle at a given time. If you have several devices downloading/streaming at once then you'll want the larger figure.

Have you looked in your router settings to see if there's a bandwidth chart to see how much data you're using?

For the value minded guys who want to game in 4k without spending a fortune, I highly recommend the Inisgnia 43" 4KUHD Roku Smart TV.

Picked it up on sale for $399(CAD), so about $300USD, to use as a bed room TV - curiosity, got the best of me, and I attached my secondary gaming rig to see what games looked like in 4k (I normally use a 32" 1440p monitor) - and I am super impressed.

Games look beautiful and it runs in UHD at a full 60hz. Colors are deep and rich, and after you fiddle with the sharpness settings a bit, it looks great. Text in Windows still looks weird - unless you have a TV that supports 4:4:4 Chroma, text will always be fuzzy on a television. However, if gaming and watching movies is all you do, then I highly recommend the Insignia as a low cost solution.

You have to temper your expectations a bit - it is not going to be comparing to an IPS/VA monitor - but the sheer size of the screen makes playing games like Doom 4 a blast. One of the best $400 I ever spent.

For the value minded guys who want to game in 4k without spending a fortune, I highly recommend the Inisgnia 43" 4KUHD Roku Smart TV.

Picked it up on sale for $399(CAD), so about $300USD, to use as a bed room TV - curiosity, got the best of me, and I attached my secondary gaming rig to see what games looked like in 4k (I normally use a 32" 1440p monitor) - and I am super impressed.

Games look beautiful and it runs in UHD at a full 60hz. Colors are deep and rich, and after you fiddle with the sharpness settings a bit, it looks great. Text in Windows still looks weird - unless you have a TV that supports 4:4:4 Chroma, text will always be fuzzy on a television. However, if gaming and watching movies is all you do, then I highly recommend the Insignia as a low cost solution.

You have to temper your expectations a bit - it is not going to be comparing to an IPS/VA monitor - but the sheer size of the screen makes playing games like Doom 4 a blast. One of the best $400 I ever spent.
Thanks for the heads up. Looks like you got a heck of a deal. That one is on sale in the US for $349.
I was waiting until Black Friday to pick up a 55" 4k tv but I might just pull the trigger on this one. They have the 55" on sale for $500 US atm.

A couple months ago I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 so I could get the Oculus running properly.

WHAT THE FUCK WAS I THINKING?

I went 7 years on Steam, having ZERO issues with any game. I own at least 130 games and all the graphic intense ones. Yet, with Windows 10, GTA V crashes between 15-30mins of gametime, Ryse Son of Rome crashes between 5-15min of gametime, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided crashes, ROTTR crashes evert 15min, and Batman Arkham Knight crashes every 15min.

I used to laugh at all the people on Steam forums with their, "Game keeps crashing" threads. Fucking peons I thought. But now, I am one of them!!!

BTW, the oculus was such a disappointment. The 3D and head tracking is really good, the image quality, headset comfort, and game catalog, not so much. I'll most likely sell it on Ebay before the year ends. Then I can downgrade back to Windows 7, good 'ol predictable Windows 7.

*end rant*

Damn, that's an impressive price. I caved to 4K last year and got the 40in Phillips 4065 for a whopping $800. It still fucking impresses though. It's also an AV panel and I calibrated it with the iDisplay Pro so the color and black levels are good, and I'm a plasma snob. Especially so after playing on the Oculus. Infact, the oculus helped make it feel almost new again. It's even more impressive for the few seconds that you can stick your face right up on the screen. At 40in, you can see the pixels if you really shove your face in, but you also see how much fucking detail is on the screen. So many little details in every corner. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided for example, the textures are really fucking impressive at 4K!

A couple months ago I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 so I could get the Oculus running properly.

WHAT THE FUCK WAS I THINKING?

I went 7 years on Steam, having ZERO issues with any game. I own at least 130 games and all the graphic intense ones. Yet, with Windows 10, GTA V crashes between 15-30mins of gametime, Ryse Son of Rome crashes between 5-15min of gametime, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided crashes, ROTTR crashes evert 15min, and Batman Arkham Knight crashes every 15min.

I used to laugh at all the people on Steam forums with their, "Game keeps crashing" threads. Fucking peons I thought. But now, I am one of them!!!

BTW, the oculus was such a disappointment. The 3D and head tracking is really good, the image quality, headset comfort, and game catalog, not so much. I'll most likely sell it on Ebay before the year ends. Then I can downgrade back to Windows 7, good 'ol predictable Windows 7.

*end rant*
Have you downloaded the Anniversary Update?

Have you downloaded the Anniversary Update?

I think so? Is it a manual process? I'm intrigued, but honestly, the games I am having issues with would be the same if I had upgraded a year ago.

P.S. - I must have it.

Your device is up to date. Last checked: Today, ‏‎9:48 PM

Damn, that's an impressive price. I caved to 4K last year and got the 40in Phillips 4065 for a whopping $800. It still fucking impresses though. It's also an AV panel and I calibrated it with the iDisplay Pro so the color and black levels are good, and I'm a plasma snob. Especially so after playing on the Oculus. Infact, the oculus helped make it feel almost new again. It's even more impressive for the few seconds that you can stick your face right up on the screen. At 40in, you can see the pixels if you really shove your face in, but you also see how much fucking detail is on the screen. So many little details in every corner. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided for example, the textures are really fucking impressive at 4K!

Is that the Philips with the display port that can actually do 4:4:4 chroma?

I know it was huge in the computer enthusiast community, because it was really a 4k monitor masquerading as a TV. Best Buy in Canada carried it, but it is always sold out.

Truthfully, my experiments with 4k are limited by my hardware. My secondary comp has a 290x, and my primary has a Fury Nano - neither are powerful enough to drive 4k (Doom however plays extremely well, Total War... not so much). Really makes me want to poney up for a new video card, but retailers are gouging on 1080 prices. $950 for a video card is never going to happen.

Is that the Philips with the display port that can actually do 4:4:4 chroma?

I know it was huge in the computer enthusiast community, because it was really a 4k monitor masquerading as a TV. Best Buy in Canada carried it, but it is always sold out.

Truthfully, my experiments with 4k are limited by my hardware. My secondary comp has a 290x, and my primary has a Fury Nano - neither are powerful enough to drive 4k (Doom however plays extremely well, Total War... not so much). Really makes me want to poney up for a new video card, but retailers are gouging on 1080 prices. $950 for a video card is never going to happen.

I never tested it personally but a few posters on avsforum verified that it actually does output 4:4:4. What I liked about it compared to my F8500 plasma was the auto calibration using the iDisplay Pro. I can't speak for how accurate it was but fuck was it easy. With my F8500, it took an hour to properly calibrated the 10pt grayscale and color.

As for cards, yea 4K is rough. My two 980tis never grant me 60fps on many demanding games unless I play on high. So a single 1080 is going to be noticeably worse. The 1080 is just not 4K optimal. I'm waiting for the 1080ti to debut. Then I can sell my cards and get two of those bad boys.

I never tested it personally but a few posters on avsforum verified that it actually does output 4:4:4. What I liked about it compared to my F8500 plasma was the auto calibration using the iDisplay Pro. I can't speak for how accurate it was but fuck was it easy. With my F8500, it took an hour to properly calibrated the 10pt grayscale and color.

As for cards, yea 4K is rough. My two 980tis never grant me 60fps on many demanding games unless I play on high. So a single 1080 is going to be noticeably worse. The 1080 is just not 4K optimal. I'm waiting for the 1080ti to debut. Then I can sell my cards and get two of those bad boys.

Or you have deep pockets, the Titan X. Only $1500 - chump change when you think about it ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back