PC Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v6: My Power Supply Burned Down My House

Anybody here have experience building a home server for NAS/media serving? I've been looking into different options and hoping for a sanity check: it seems to me that getting a refurbished Dell PowerEdge R730XD is a better option than trying to build something from consumer parts. Compared to a consumer option it'll have better redundancy (ECC, dual PSU, drives on sleds), cheaper repairs, remote access, more cores for containers/vms, more memory, faster SAS hard drives, and can still be equipped with an NVMe drive for L2ARC and a GPU for video encoding. Am I missing something here, or is refurbished enterprise gear really the way to go?

That Dell is LGA2011v3, which means Haswell or Broadwell. They're 10 years old at this point, and are going to show their age.

How many containers/VM's are you looking to run? How many drives are you looking to use? What's your server hardware budget?

That Dell is LGA2011v3, which means Haswell or Broadwell. They're 10 years old at this point, and are going to show their age.

How many containers/VM's are you looking to run? How many drives are you looking to use? What's your server hardware budget?
The Xeon E5-2697Av4 is 2016Q2, so definitely aging, but stepping up to a R740 with a Xeon Gold 6136 is still 2017Q3 and gets a lower passmark all-core and only a 6% better single core. I'm not planning on running anything heavy, just file serving, Jellyfin, Pi-hole, and maybe something like ZoneMinder in the future if I get a POE security camera or two. Maybe spin up a Debian to mess around in big-dataset Matlab projects.

Long term data integrity is more the goal. I was thinking of using TrueNAS Scale and running RAID-Z2, which means 8+ drives to hit my minimum storage target of 40TB, assuming 8TB 12Gbps SAS drives. I'm planning on ripping all my media -- including 4k disks which can be 50GB a piece -- and, as I understand it, once a zfs pool has been setup you can't add more drives after the fact so I've got to go big right out of the gate if I want to be using this setup for another 5+ years.

Assuming I get something that'll run me a decade I don't mind spending $2000 (ammatorizes to like $20 a month). An i5-12600k build with a rackmount case and resertified 12TB sata drives is still going to run ~$2300, with none of the redundancy or remote management tools. The R730 would be ~$2200 with room to go expand from 128 to 256 GB of memory or add a P4/P40/Quadro P4000 if cpu transcoding didn't cut it (should be fine, passmark is 20k for a single xeons and only ever one stream).

The Xeon E5-2697Av4 is 2016Q2, so definitely aging, but stepping up to a R740 with a Xeon Gold 6136 is still 2017Q3 and gets a lower passmark all-core and only a 6% better single core. I'm not planning on running anything heavy, just file serving, Jellyfin, Pi-hole, and maybe something like ZoneMinder in the future if I get a POE security camera or two. Maybe spin up a Debian to mess around in big-dataset Matlab projects.

Long term data integrity is more the goal. I was thinking of using TrueNAS Scale and running RAID-Z2, which means 8+ drives to hit my minimum storage target of 40TB, assuming 8TB 12Gbps SAS drives. I'm planning on ripping all my media -- including 4k disks which can be 50GB a piece -- and, as I understand it, once a zfs pool has been setup you can't add more drives after the fact so I've got to go big right out of the gate if I want to be using this setup for another 5+ years.

Assuming I get something that'll run me a decade I don't mind spending $2000 (ammatorizes to like $20 a month). An i5-12600k build with a rackmount case and resertified 12TB sata drives is still going to run ~$2300, with none of the redundancy or remote management tools. The R730 would be ~$2200 with room to go expand from 128 to 256 GB of memory or add a P4/P40/Quadro P4000 if cpu transcoding didn't cut it (should be fine, passmark is 20k for a single xeons and only ever one stream).

Power usage is something to consider as well if you have high power rates.

Have you taken a look at Unraid? I use it for Jellyfin, Pihole, Ubuntu server for file sharing, and a Windows VM off a Ryzen 3600 and RX470.
Unraid has its own storage volume system, and it allows you to add drives down the road.
It does cost money, but it is much more user-friendly for noobs.

You can get 16 port LSI cards on eBay for under $100 that will be just fine for spinning rust.

Last edited:
Power usage is something to consider as well if you have high power rates.

Have you taken a look at Unraid? I use it for Jellyfin, Pihole, Ubuntu server for file sharing, and a Windows VM off a Ryzen 3600 and RX470.
Unraid has its own storage volume system, and it allows you to add drives down the road.
It does cost money, but it is much more user-friendly for noobs.

You can get 16 port LSI cards on eBay for under $100 that will be just fine for spinning rust.
Those HBA cards are new to me. Unraid was the other option I'd looked into, but I like that TrueNAS is open source and free to use. I've read through their getting-started documentation and it doesn't sound overly complicated, but I've also been daily driving linux for more than two years now.

Power is something to consider. I've got a Ryzen 3600G in my computer now and looked into what it would take to convert that to a server, but the drives and case are already such a large percentage of the total cost that transfering the core components of my current computer (and needing to replace them with a newer build) wouldn't save me anything in the immediate term. The Dells idle around 200W and my 3600 idles around 80W (all SSD). 2.5x is a big difference in percentages, but old incandecent light fixtures could draw more than that. At 0.25c per WHr that's a difference of about $0.70 a day for the R730 vs 3600-based, assuming 24hr run time.

Dunno what I'll choose yet, I'll have to let it simmer for a while.

I am looking at finally replacing my gaming computer. My initial rig cost me a little over $3000 (AUD) back in 2015-2016 as a pre made setup.

I have been running a Intel i7-6700 CPU @3.40 Ghz paired with a Nvidia GTX 1070 and to be honest it hasn't really missed a beat. I ran Cyberpunk, Witcher 3, Rust etc all on reasonably high graphics with no major issues. If the game runs well I am happy, I don't care about the game looking more realistic than real life.

I was just going to upgrade a few years ago but never bothered to during the bitcoin/covid tax era (which still appears to be happening.
The only issue is I want to get Dragons dogma 2 and apparently my current setup won't run it, though I am tempted to just try.

Given the age of the rest of my parts and the current high price tags of graphics cards, should I just bite the bullet and replace everything? Or can I get by upgrading my CPU and graphics card reasonably cheap? What sort of base setups should I be avoiding in this day and age? I used to have a little knowledge but gaming has taken a back seat for years.

What is the bare minimum I should probably aim for to future proof myself a bit ?

Those HBA cards are new to me. Unraid was the other option I'd looked into, but I like that TrueNAS is open source and free to use. I've read through their getting-started documentation and it doesn't sound overly complicated, but I've also been daily driving linux for more than two years now.

Power is something to consider. I've got a Ryzen 3600G in my computer now and looked into what it would take to convert that to a server, but the drives and case are already such a large percentage of the total cost that transfering the core components of my current computer (and needing to replace them with a newer build) wouldn't save me anything in the immediate term. The Dells idle around 200W and my 3600 idles around 80W (all SSD). 2.5x is a big difference in percentages, but old incandecent light fixtures could draw more than that. At 0.25c per WHr that's a difference of about $0.70 a day for the R730 vs 3600-based, assuming 24hr run time.

Dunno what I'll choose yet, I'll have to let it simmer for a while.

I tried TrueNAS for a while, but I got tired of having to dig through forum after forum to find the answer I was looking for. Unraid makes things noob friendly, and it's a one time fee.
That Dell server will use a hell of a lot more power than your 3600g.

A couple good channels to check out is Serve the Home, Level1Techs, and Craft Computing.

I am looking at finally replacing my gaming computer. My initial rig cost me a little over $3000 (AUD) back in 2015-2016 as a pre made setup.

I have been running a Intel i7-6700 CPU @3.40 Ghz paired with a Nvidia GTX 1070 and to be honest it hasn't really missed a beat. I ran Cyberpunk, Witcher 3, Rust etc all on reasonably high graphics with no major issues. If the game runs well I am happy, I don't care about the game looking more realistic than real life.

I was just going to upgrade a few years ago but never bothered to during the bitcoin/covid tax era (which still appears to be happening.
The only issue is I want to get Dragons dogma 2 and apparently my current setup won't run it, though I am tempted to just try.

Given the age of the rest of my parts and the current high price tags of graphics cards, should I just bite the bullet and replace everything? Or can I get by upgrading my CPU and graphics card reasonably cheap? What sort of base setups should I be avoiding in this day and age? I used to have a little knowledge but gaming has taken a back seat for years.

What is the bare minimum I should probably aim for to future proof myself a bit ?
From the "Minimum" specs, you've accurately figured your CPU will be the shortcoming, so yeah, you could build yourself a new comp, and recycle your current 1070. There's nothing keeping you from upgrading the GPU in the future, or right away, if you aren't happy with its performance in Dragon's Dogma 2. The only potential drawback is if you intend to sell your current rig. It could make selling it harder, or maybe buyers would value all the remaining components as a single purchase less if they know they have to add a GPU themselves. On the other hand, maybe they'll value it more.

Here is a strong foundation:

From the "Minimum" specs, you've accurately figured your CPU will be the shortcoming, so yeah, you could build yourself a new comp, and recycle your current 1070. There's nothing keeping you from upgrading the GPU in the future, or right away, if you aren't happy with its performance in Dragon's Dogma 2. The only potential drawback is if you intend to sell your current rig. It could make selling it harder, or maybe buyers would value all the remaining components as a single purchase less if they know they have to add a GPU themselves. On the other hand, maybe they'll value it more.

Here is a strong foundation:
Cheers for taking the time to actually do a full parts list. That website is pretty awesome, I have been building through different stores own personal sites and keep ending up with it being better to basically buy one of their pre builts. I wouldn't bother to sell my current set up. If I replace it, it will go to my kid to play games instead of stealing my computer.

In terms of the 1070 and current cards with the prices is it worth the upgrade? My 1070 is obviously dated, but most of my games still run fine on it.
I find it pretty crazy to be honest how well they have actually run. My current set up runs most of the best games of this gen on high settings with minimal issues, I usually just pop it on medium though and overall I am pretty damn happy.

I am tempted to go pre built in the $1500-$2200 range. That seems to get me a 4060 (or variation) or a 4070 (super at best) if I settle on a lesser processor.
I am trying to decide whether to try and grab something with say a 4070 and a lesser CPU and then upgrade n a year or 3 as that is cheaper than a new graphics card.

Though to be honest you kind of have me considering giving my first build a go, even if I buy pre built initially and then add to it myself later.

So what is the best way to secure an RTX 5090? It's supposed to come out some time this year. It can't be out of stock right now because it's not for sale. So what do I do? Does NVidia have a sign up? Do I bribe people? User verbal threats?

Cheers for taking the time to actually do a full parts list. That website is pretty awesome, I have been building through different stores own personal sites and keep ending up with it being better to basically buy one of their pre builts. I wouldn't bother to sell my current set up. If I replace it, it will go to my kid to play games instead of stealing my computer.

In terms of the 1070 and current cards with the prices is it worth the upgrade? My 1070 is obviously dated, but most of my games still run fine on it.
I find it pretty crazy to be honest how well they have actually run. My current set up runs most of the best games of this gen on high settings with minimal issues, I usually just pop it on medium though and overall I am pretty damn happy.

I am tempted to go pre built in the $1500-$2200 range. That seems to get me a 4060 (or variation) or a 4070 (super at best) if I settle on a lesser processor.
I am trying to decide whether to try and grab something with say a 4070 and a lesser CPU and then upgrade n a year or 3 as that is cheaper than a new graphics card.

Though to be honest you kind of have me considering giving my first build a go, even if I buy pre built initially and then add to it myself later.

I went from a 1070ti to an AMD RX6650xt and picked up about a 40% performance increase.

If your computer is doing everything you want it to, why upgrade?

I went from a 1070ti to an AMD RX6650xt and picked up about a 40% performance increase.

If your computer is doing everything you want it to, why upgrade?
It’s dropped a drive and I can’t recover it so my storage is limited. The main reason is to play dragons dogma 2 though. My last computer lasted 8 years at 3000$ it kinda makes sense to spend $1500-2200 to get a similar run out of a new one. I would upgrade individual parts but by the time I drop a grand I may aswell spend a bit more and do a full refresh

So for anyone considering the SK Hynix Platinum P41 SSD, I have now had two of these drives become faulty.

I have look online and am not the only one with this issue.

The write speeds end up dropping to 2,000mb/s on this second drive just like the first (+/- 10%), it only had 9tb written to it. The second drive was bought in January and I noticed it this week. First drive I bought in June, ended up noticing the dropped speeds in late December.

I don't know if both were part of a bad batch or not but it's annoying AF. I bought both from Amazon so I've been refunded so at least that's been sorted but it was such a nice drive.

If you're planning on upgrading, then yes, there's no way for a DIY build to really compete with system integrators in bang for buck. (I assume Australia has CyberPower and iBuyPower, but I don't work with that market that much). For context, in the US, the starting price for system integrator systems with an RTX 4060 is about $999 off discount now, 4070 prebuilds are around $1,500 without discounts. So your napkin math checks out, barring any Australia-specific taxes or import costs.

So for anyone considering the SK Hynix Platinum P41 SSD, I have now had two of these drives become faulty.

I have look online and am not the only one with this issue.

The write speeds end up dropping to 2,000mb/s on this second drive just like the first (+/- 10%), it only had 9tb written to it. The second drive was bought in January and I noticed it this week. First drive I bought in June, ended up noticing the dropped speeds in late December.

I don't know if both were part of a bad batch or not but it's annoying AF. I bought both from Amazon so I've been refunded so at least that's been sorted but it was such a nice drive.
@KaNesDeath I think I recall you buying a similar SSD last year with the same specs, Mick mentioned that it uses the same components as the P41SSD but from a different brand? Are you experiencing any of the same issues? I think you'd be fine but just wanted to check, seems like this is pure a SK Hynix issue. I haven't seen reports from the other drive the Solidigm P44 which has the same components to have any problems.

I wouldn't advise gimping the CPU for the reason it's the more fixed component. To upgrade a CPU is more expensive because it usually entails upgrading the motherboard, too, possibly also the RAM, depending on how far in the future the upgrade is; additionally, it entails more hassle, because you'll have to extract the old CPU/MoBo to put the new one in, and reconnect everything. With the GPU, you just unplug it, and slot the new one in. Furthermore, the next generation of GPUs will probably release sometime in the 6-12 months. NVIDIA released the RTX 4000 series on October, 2022 (~19 months ago); AMD released the RX 7000 series on December, 2022 (~17 months ago). There's hasn't been more than 28 months between generations from either in the last 15 years.

So you can always just use your GTX 1070 in the new build while saving money for a much stronger GPU upgrade, or even all the way until the new GPUs drop, if it's holding up for Dragon's Dogma 2.

I wouldn't advise gimping the CPU for the reason it's the more fixed component. To upgrade a CPU is more expensive because it usually entails upgrading the motherboard, too, possibly also the RAM, depending on how far in the future the upgrade is; additionally, it entails more hassle, because you'll have to extract the old CPU/MoBo to put the new one in, and reconnect everything. With the GPU, you just unplug it, and slot the new one in. Furthermore, the next generation of GPUs will probably release sometime in the 6-12 months. NVIDIA released the RTX 4000 series on October, 2022 (~19 months ago); AMD released the RX 7000 series on December, 2022 (~17 months ago). There's hasn't been more than 28 months between generations from either in the last 15 years.

So you can always just use your GTX 1070 in the new build while saving money for a much stronger GPU upgrade, or even all the way until the new GPUs drop, if it's holding up for Dragon's Dogma 2.

That was my strategy last time when I went with the I7 for my last computer with the lesser graphics card at the time.
I was thinking that might be the strategy again this time, but thought with the current price of cards, it might work out better to try and skip that option.

Parts list aside, any chance you can point me to a resource for the minimum CPU I should avoid. I have usually gone Intel and Nvidia for everything.
I see a lot of 12400f or 1440f in an Intel I5 and the equivalent Ryzen 5 as 5600/7500f. Both these seem to make up the majority of builds in the pre built market.

You kinda have me wanting to try my own first build, but looking at the current price it probably makes sense to buy a pre built, with the plan to upgrade the easy components in the future.

If you're planning on upgrading, then yes, there's no way for a DIY build to really compete with system integrators in bang for buck. (I assume Australia has CyberPower and iBuyPower, but I don't work with that market that much). For context, in the US, the starting price for system integrator systems with an RTX 4060 is about $999 off discount now, 4070 prebuilds are around $1,500 without discounts. So your napkin math checks out, barring any Australia-specific taxes or import costs.
CyberPowerPC.com only ships to the 50 U.S. States, APO/FPO addresses and Canada. We do not ship internationally or to Puerto Rico, Guam and US Virgin Islands. For UK orders, please visit cyberpowersystem.co.uk for more details.2 July 2022

We have a few similar smaller outlets with these guys being one of the bigger ones (and where I purchased my last computer)

That was my strategy last time when I went with the I7 for my last computer with the lesser graphics card at the time.
I was thinking that might be the strategy again this time, but thought with the current price of cards, it might work out better to try and skip that option.

Parts list aside, any chance you can point me to a resource for the minimum CPU I should avoid. I have usually gone Intel and Nvidia for everything.
I see a lot of 12400f or 1440f in an Intel I5 and the equivalent Ryzen 5 as 5600/7500f. Both these seem to make up the majority of builds in the pre built market.

You kinda have me wanting to try my own first build, but looking at the current price it probably makes sense to buy a pre built, with the plan to upgrade the easy components in the future.
I think that was a really good strategy, it just turned out that the GTX 1000 series was a legendary generation of cards with the 1080 Ti, 1080, and 1070 in particular possessing perhaps the best bang-for-your-buck longevity of any cards in the past decade. Complicating that was the cryptobubble and the unforseen skyrocketing of GPU prices. Otherwise I suspect you would have upgraded your GPU already on that CPU.

I would urge you consider nothing less than the i5-13400F. Or, at least, if you do, since that older 12400F & 12600K(F) do look very attractively priced on the Australian market, you ought to also first shave costs on the other components I selected. Because, for the 12400F versus the R5-7600, rather than the 7600X, for example, you're talking about giving up a whopping 21% in framerate to save a measly $56 AUD. That's ~2.5% of the total budget you're talking about for the comp. You're sacrificing 1/5th the core performance for the build to save 1/40th the budget. Makes no sense.

Prebuilts very likely will offer the best bang-for-your-buck on the market at the cost of overall capability, expansion potential, and build quality. That's been true for a while.
average-fps-1280-720.png

I think that was a really good strategy, it just turned out that the GTX 1000 series was a legendary generation of cards with the 1080 Ti, 1080, and 1070 in particular possessing perhaps the best bang-for-your-buck longevity of any cards in the past decade. Complicating that was the cryptobubble and the unforseen skyrocketing of GPU prices. Otherwise I suspect you would have upgraded your GPU already on that CPU.

I would urge you consider nothing less than the i5-13400F. Or, at least, if you do, since that older 12400F & 12600K(F) do look very attractively priced on the Australian market, you ought to also first shave costs on the other components I selected. Because, for the 12400F versus the R5-7600, rather than the 7600X, for example, you're talking about giving up a whopping 21% in framerate to save a measly $56 AUD. That's ~2.5% of the total budget you're talking about for the comp. You're sacrificing 1/5th the core performance for the build to save 1/40th the budget. Makes no sense.

Prebuilts very likely will offer the best bang-for-your-buck on the market at the cost of overall capability, expansion potential, and build quality. That's been true for a while.
average-fps-1280-720.png
Cheers mate, I appreciate the time to forward me that info. It seems things haven't changed too much and that a lot of the prebuilt ones use common, slightly outdated CPUs/ GPUs etc to keep the cost down.

I got 8 years out of my last computer, so I shouldn't really complain. If I actually play my backlog, I would easily get another 2-4 years out of it if I can fix the second drive disappearing.It would be interesting to see what does happen if I try and run Dragons dogma 2 on my current rig.
I kinda want to take get back up to date with things and look into either building another long lasting rig or purchasing prebuilt with the same thing in mind.
I did buy the Mrs a gaming laptop last year, that will run it fine if I get desperate. Probably doesn't make sense to rush into a buy for a single game.

The Forrest 2 was also meant to have issues running on it, but I ran it flawlessly on launch with no issues.

Cheers mate, I appreciate the time to forward me that info. It seems things haven't changed too much and that a lot of the prebuilt ones use common, slightly outdated CPUs/ GPUs etc to keep the cost down.

I got 8 years out of my last computer, so I shouldn't really complain. If I actually play my backlog, I would easily get another 2-4 years out of it if I can fix the second drive disappearing.It would be interesting to see what does happen if I try and run Dragons dogma 2 on my current rig.
I kinda want to take get back up to date with things and look into either building another long lasting rig or purchasing prebuilt with the same thing in mind.
I did buy the Mrs a gaming laptop last year, that will run it fine if I get desperate. Probably doesn't make sense to rush into a buy for a single game.

The Forrest 2 was also meant to have issues running on it, but I ran it flawlessly on launch with no issues.
The drive might be going bad. You should download HWInfo and see what the sensors indicate for it. Sectors could be "bad". Signs of imminent drive failure. You could also run a Diskcheck.

Alternatively, sometimes, the SATA port you use to connect to the drive might be going bad. You can try just connecting the drive to another SATA port on the motherboard assuming there is one. The SATA cable itself is another potential culprit. They are cheap to order to test that potential point of failure out.

Back