Sherdog Strongman discussion thread- Strongman classic looms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just watching Big Loz's recap of the prelims.

I hate that there is no liveish coverage of this.

If anyone is interested Lawrence Shahlai one of my favourites does YouTube and commentary for strongman, his YouTube channel has interviews with all the major players this year near enough.

He knows his shit and is a good talker.

Just realised loads of Loz vids posted already!

I just started following him a few weeks ago. Loving the content he's putting out these days.

I don't think so, I might be speaking out of turn here but I think he was too slow, not strong enough and his girth would really work against him in some of the loading challenges.
I think he could have. The year he won the Arnold he beat out Svend Karlsen a year after he won WSM.

@Phlog Casuals favour Shaw but the Hardcores know its not a Given. If anything the Hype Shaw is getting might Motivate the Field, Shaw will have to absolutely earn it.
I'm hoping for JF, he's just missed the podium so many years.

And he was in Kingdom of Heaven. I think Big Z is the greatest, is Konstantine Janashia competing this yr I always thought he could be a future champ after he did well in 2016.
I think he was invited but failed his covid test

@Phlog

Your 2020 World’s Strongest Man Finalists Are

1. Jerry Pritchett
  2. Kevin Faires
  3. Oleksii Novikov
  4. JF Caron
  5. Brian Shaw
  6. Luke Richardson
  7. Adam Bishop
  8. Tom Stoltman
  9. Graham Hicks
  10. Aivars Smaukstelis

Not a fan of the Runner up for each group having to do Atlas Stones head to head with the 3rd Place guy to make the Finals, Terri Hollands got Screwed there.

Can't believe Hollands didn't make it! That's a stacked lineup though, I'm gutted Felix didn't make it but it's not surprising. Good showing for the UK, I'm really looking forward to seeing Tom do battle, still hoping for him Vs Shaw in the stones.

The groups were no where near as even as they could have been but it is what it is. You gotta win on the day against whomever.

Tom Stoltman doing the best in the loading event is a sign of things to come!!!

Man, this final is hard to predict. I'm going with JF Caron as the favorite, but I could see guys like Novikov, Jerry or Tom somehow pulling it off as well. I don't think Brian has got it. He was slow during the loading in the heats and he's up there in age. I think he'll lose points in several events because of it. However, if he somehow shows up in close to his best shape, he could pull it off. I just don't think that's likely.

Man, this final is hard to predict. I'm going with JF Caron as the favorite, but I could see guys like Novikov, Jerry or Tom somehow pulling it off as well. I don't think Brian has got it. He was slow during the loading in the heats and he's up there in age. I think he'll lose points in several events because of it. However, if he somehow shows up in close to his best shape, he could pull it off. I just don't think that's likely.

I'd like to see what slowed him on the loading, his preparation is meticulous, I imagine the objects being unusual might work against him but maybe age is hitting like you say. Agree with your top 4-5!

Tom Stoltman doing the best in the loading event is a sign of things to come!!!

I think between him and Kieliszkowski for the best at loading events in the world so here no one comes close. To me Tom reminds me of a Younger Shaw and Thor , once he gets his static strength up , game over.

I'd like to see what slowed him on the loading, his preparation is meticulous, I imagine the objects being unusual might work against him but maybe age is hitting like you say. Agree with your top 4-5!
You'd think that Shaw's brute strength and giant wingspan would help him with large and awkward objects. I just think he's done. There's a slight possibility that he will still win this year since the events suit him and a lot of top dogs are missing. But I think this is his last shot. If he doesn't win this show, he's not gonna win a major title ever again I think.

1 Caron
2 Pritchett
3 Novikov
4 Stoltman
5 Richardson
6 Shaw
7 Bishop
8 Smaukstelis
9 Faires
10 Hicks

My picks for the final. Not extremely confident either way though.

You'd think that Shaw's brute strength and giant wingspan would help him with large and awkward objects. I just think he's done. There's a slight possibility that he will still win this year since the events suit him and a lot of top dogs are missing. But I think this is his last shot. If he doesn't win this show, he's not gonna win a major title ever again I think.
Yep, I've seen him consistently out paced by smaller guys. They even lifted heavier things than him. Getting old.

1 Caron
2 Pritchett
3 Novikov
4 Stoltman
5 Richardson
6 Shaw
7 Bishop
8 Smaukstelis
9 Faires
10 Hicks

My picks for the final. Not extremely confident either way though.
I really like Novikov, such a young guy with a great attitude, hope he wins.

Kaz.

Despite being the reigning champion, the organizers decided not to invite Kazmaier to compete in the following four WSM competitions, with Kazmaier claiming it was because he was "too dominant".[11][12] His absence cleared the way for Kazmaier's main rival, Geoff Capes, to win the title in 1983.
Kaz was the sport's most dominant pioneer, perhaps more dominant than Z, but he was like Royce in the early days of MMA; choking out plumbers who flunked out as Olympic talents in legitimate grappling sports, guys with no grappling backgrounds at all and therefore no chance, or worst of all, D-level talents who devoted their lives to Bullshido.

Great commentary on this:

Otherwise, why not go back further? Guys like Paul Andersen were perhaps among the greatest American talents untapped in the far more sophisticated and competitive sport of Olympic lifting during his prime. He was probably a bit too short for the Oly SHW category, but I wonder what he could have achieved if American training was anywhere close to Soviet training at the time, and if he had devoted his life to it.

paul+wagon+wheels.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back