Shin Guards: Fairtex SP5 vs Top King

Mantas

MMA Gear Addict
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm in the market for the new shin guards and I need you to help me to decide. I've been reading other threads, forums and reviews, and came to the conclusion that Fairtex SP5 and Top King are the ones that most people recommend.

Fairtex SP5: http://www.amazon.com/Fairtex-Competition-Shin-Guards/dp/B009RERGZW/ref=zg_bs_3415291_44

Top King: http://www.amazon.com/Top-King-Creativity-Protection-Kickboxing/dp/B00L6FA9E0/ref=zg_bs_3415291_12

Well, as you can see, Top King has many different version, so I'm not sure which one I would buy yet, so any recommendation will be appreciated.

But the most important factors for me are: the size and comfort-ability. I hate when shin guards are very bulky, making your leg bigger too and probably even easier to catch. So I want them to be covered just around my leg very closely almost as MMA shin guards. And jugging from other reviews and pictures that I've seen these two models should be exactly what I'm looking for.

Of course if you have any other recommendations feel free to comment. I saw a new Hayabusa shin guards: http://www.hayabusafight.com/ca-en/...quipment/shin-guards/sp/muay-thai-shinguards/ That tiger looks really good!

Top King would be my pick but are a lot bulkier than the sp-5.

MMA shinguards don't offer much protection where the Top Kings offer plenty.

Top King would be my pick but are a lot bulkier than the sp-5.

MMA shinguards don't offer much protection where the Top Kings offer plenty.

I know that MMA shin guards don't offer much protection, I already have those. That's why I need something more protective for standup sparring.

And thanks for the advice. If SP5 are really a lot less bulkier then I would probably go with those.

I've also found one review about SP5 that says: "...But they don't lineup on your shin...the upper part end of the shin guard lean towards the outside of your shin..." -is it true?

I have both of those. The sp5 is less bulky but not by a huge margin. Both are awesome and I've said it before but if j had to pick one, I honestly wouldn't care which I end d up with, both are great.

Also, do you guys know any other online shop that offers a good price on Top King and Fairtex Shin guards other than muaythaistuff.com? I've read some reviews that customer service is pretty bad, and they don't deliver on time. I've also contacted them like a week ago and no one responded yet. Plus I would like to get my shin guards delivered within a two weeks.

You can get the fairtex from Muay Thai mma shop.

I don't have any clue where to buy too kings, I got mine in Thailand.

I've dealt with muaythaifactory and soksai before. muaythaifactory ships super fast on items in stock.

I just looked and Muay thai mma shop has some topkings but the fancy type ones rather than the solid color ones.

Thanks guys, I'll have a look at those.

I've dealt with muaythaifactory and soksai before. muaythaifactory ships super fast on items in stock.

Thanks, the prices are really good at muaythaifactory. Are you from US? If yes how long did it take for you to get the item from them? Up to 2 weeks or longer?

Also are there any differences between all these TOP King model besides the look?

TKSGPGL-BK-RD-front.jpg

TKSGSS-01-GD-front.jpg

TKSGEM-01BK-front.jpg

The third once look real nice, although I'm not sure how long that design is going to last. Let me know if anyone owns these.

Thanks, the prices are really good at muaythaifactory. Are you from US? If yes how long did it take for you to get the item from them? Up to 2 weeks or longer?

Yes, I'm in the US. The gloves I ordered were in stock, and came ridiculously fast, in like 3 days. I was surprised.

It seems you've made your decision Mantas and a good one too. Fairtex have recently increased their prices (for the first time in 5 five years) so if you can find places selling gear at their old prices it would be well worth getting.

Also are there any differences between all these TOP King model besides the look?

TKSGPGL-BK-RD-front.jpg

TKSGSS-01-GD-front.jpg

TKSGEM-01BK-front.jpg

The third once look real nice, although I'm not sure how long that design is going to last. Let me know if anyone owns these.

There's no difference except the look.

Yes, I'm in the US. The gloves I ordered were in stock, and came ridiculously fast, in like 3 days. I was surprised.

+1
My order arrived in New Zealand 3 days after the order conformation.

Thanks for your comments guys, I've ordered Fairtex already. It should arrive next week, can't wait to try it out. I'll let you know my thoughts once I get a chance to try them at the gym.

I really like the sp5, they are nice and light but still protective. I like them because they do t shift around at all (on me).

I forgot to tell that I've got my SP5 already. The delivery from Amazon was very quick, it took 5 work days. The price I paid was $60, I checked it now and it's $79, so I got pretty lucky.

I only have used them for a couple classes so far, so I can't comment a lot. But it's try that they don't lineup on the shin, the upper part end of the shin guard lean towards the outside of your shin. Although it just looks weird and it kinda make me want to adjust them, but it doesn't bother me at all when I'm sparring, kicking.

I'm probably going to post a proper review of these shin guards, but first I need to test it for like 2-3 months.

WP_20150412_10_49_26_Pro.jpg

Back