Shins hurt after 5 minutes!

Felya

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I've never been much of a runner and have recently decided to pick up running regularly at the gym. One thing I've noticed is after roughly five minutes of running on the treadmill my shins start to hurt right at the front where the bone is. I can't even tell how my endurance is while running because my shins hurt too much. I'm thinking it's shin splints or maybe my sneakers suck. Should I go see a doctor about it or are there other choices?

buy new shoes first, my guess you are using badly worn out shoes. I tried running in my lifting shoes (old pair of duffs) and my shins would last maybe 600m. Personally i find treadmills also really bother my shins/knees to run on, run on a slight incline if you are not already that helps aswell.

i have the same problem. i run outside and my shoes are new but after a while my shins kill me. any tips?

Check your running shoes to see if they still provide a soft cusion in the soles, if not that is most likely your problem, along with the surface your running on, which I presume is asphault. See what is happening is the impact your ankle has when it strikes and rolls over adds un wanted jolts of pressure/constant jarring and stretching of the area below your knees to your ankles, front face of your body.. you may need to just increase your jump and stride as well.

make sure you are running with proper form. Also check your equipment out and finally if you can run on sand it is very very nice! I don't get to where I live, but always enjoy running the beach when im on vacation.

If you have a choice in running surfaces, dont run on asphalt, concrete, or on treadmills. Run on grass or an even better option is if your local high school has a nice rubberized track run on that. Running on a rubberized track was my best decision by far. I would also recomend a new pair of running shoes, go to a store that specializes in athletic shoes as they will be able to help you find a good shoe that fits the way that you run.

Here are a few things:

Your shoes should have moderate to high support, because your feet are pronating (the inside of them are leaning in)...I would also use insoles like superfeet in whatever shoes you buy.

The pain is caused by an overactive tibialis posterior, and the sensation is coming from the tendon of that muscle which attaches to your tibia (shin bone). Running with proper form will help you out a lot...make sure your feet land evenly on the ground, and that you fully extend and point your foot backward when you push up off the ground.

Icing your shin area after running helps, and also running on softer ground helps, but be VERY careful not to run on uneven surfaces as this can exacerbate the problem.

I've never been much of a runner and have recently decided to pick up running regularly at the gym. One thing I've noticed is after roughly five minutes of running on the treadmill my shins start to hurt right at the front where the bone is. I can't even tell how my endurance is while running because my shins hurt too much. I'm thinking it's shin splints or maybe my sneakers suck. Should I go see a doctor about it or are there other choices?

I have suffered from SEVERE shin splints for 15 years. It kicks in when i run about 1/4 of a mile. Running a mile requires me to walk and run and it takes me almost 15 minutes! Most people who suggest tips to me get the shin splints AFTER running while i get it WHILE running.

I stick to epliptical and biking and hiking for non MA exercise. My feet are ridiculously flat and i suspect you have flat feet too.

I wear BROOKS BEAST stability running shoes ($180) and I see a podiatrist every 2 years for custom made Orthodics. Also, I strength train and stretch my shins and calves but none of it helps much.

Other then the stretching and orthodics and overpronation shoes, try 2 advil 45 minutes before running and also compression sleeves or ace bandages. I've tried everything and I still get them and get them bad. Like I said, sometimes 3 or 4 minutes into a light jog the pain comes. Hopefully your feet arent as flat as mine and hopefully youth is on YOUR side!!!

I've never been able to get rid of my shin splints. But they have become less bothersome the more i run :icon_conf

Something that will help stand straight up and pull your toes up. do not rock back on to you use the muscles in the front of your calf to lift with.

Yeah, I need help to get rid of mine before the 21st. I just got cleared to play basketball last week from a torn ACL. It seems I get shin splints every time I return to sports after a long layoff, but I need to get rid of them by this friday and sitting out is not an option. What would be the best way to get rid of them in one week without sitting out?

make sure you strengthen your shins by walking on the ball of your feet. try walking 100 yards on the track and walk regular 100. it takes awhile to get muscle in them but soon you can tell the difference.

I dont think it is shin splints yet from what you have described, it reads to me like you have stretched or torn the insertion of your your tibialis anterior, the muscle and tendon that runs over and to the side of the shin at the front, lots of massage and a heat rub to bring in circulation and increase blood flow to the area will speed recovery, but it will take around about 4wks.

Shin splints are stress fractures in a spiral pattern, and if you have a stress fracture you will not be able to walk properly let alone try to run on a treadmill.

Beau.

If your shins are hurting there is one more thing you should look at. How tight are your laces? Normally I have my shoes loose enough I can slide them on and off while tied. Not sloppy...but just tight enough to keep them on my feet.

If I have them tight for sprints and then go for a long run without readjusting I will get pain in my shins. I know it sounds stupid but it's easy to try and costs you nothing.

Back