Shogun tapping to strikes

Just let people tap, imo. Nothing wrong with saving your own ass. It's all of the others who talk shit about it that make me iffy about joining in these conversations. Just let a man not die, ffs.
A fighter should never be put in a position to have to tap to strikes in the first place. THAT'S WHAT THE DAMN REFS ARE THERE FOR.

Barnett also tapped to strikes against Cro Cop.

Well, technically he tapped to a nasty eye gouge. Never understood why this didn't get more play back when this fight was fresh, but people just loved them some CC and Barnett didn't complain about it afterwards (for whatever reason) so it just got overlooked. Regardless, go watch this fight and you'll see a big ol' eye rake, followed by Josh gasping in pain, followed by a tap. Not that it would've changed the outcome of the fight at all; CC had Josh's number.

Rory didn't turtle up sir, his brain did.
He was absolutely done in that fight, and he wasn't exactly lookin for a way out.

He literally fell back to the canvas after they sat him up.
He couldn't have given another ounce to that fight.

If you want examples of turtling up, look at Cowboy.
We’ve seen the falling back on the canvas trick b4
Aljo.gif

the only way to truly know if a fighter is done is by letting them feast on a diet of unanswered strikes
<{JustBleed}>

Just let people tap, imo. Nothing wrong with saving your own ass. It's all of the others who talk shit about it that make me iffy about joining in these conversations. Just let a man not die, ffs.
So, how many times have you tapped?

Tbh more fighters should probably tap to strikes
There's been too many cases of fighters receiving brutal beatings and never being the same (Barao, Weidman, etc.)

Barnett also tapped to strikes against Cro Cop.

That was also different. He got thumbed in the eye and blinded,and knew that a soccer kick was coming that he couldnt see.

Well, technically he tapped to a nasty eye gouge. Never understood why this didn't get more play back when this fight was fresh, but people just loved them some CC and Barnett didn't complain about it afterwards (for whatever reason) so it just got overlooked. Regardless, go watch this fight and you'll see a big ol' eye rake, followed by Josh gasping in pain, followed by a tap. Not that it would've changed the outcome of the fight at all; CC had Josh's number.
When Barnett beat Mighty Mo it was a low blow from Josh (accidental) that ultimately led to the finish! Josh felt so bad about it that after the decision was read he told Mo to blast him in the nuts so they would be even. That was pretty dam honorable. imo

Reactions: HHJ
This. I have a zero problems with a fighter tapping to strikes, but I have spent years reading posts from GSP haters who bring it up ad nauseum, but nobody talks about when Shogun did it against Jones. It’s just selective hate.
people talk about Shogun tapping to strikes all time on here.

With the discussion of pride fighters in the ufc these days, this makes me wonder.

Is shogun the only pride fighter to tap to strikes? Does paul craig have enough stopping power in his punches to make a legend quit in mid fight?

i'll be honest and say that i was really sad to see shogun tap to strikes to jones. but these men are human. they're not robots, and can't sustain endless amounts of abuse. jones was the better fighter, plain and simple. anyway, to me jones has lost twice, as it is. fuck what the judges say. he lost to santos and reyes. and is he ever going to fight again? the guy is always in some type of drama. it's embarrassing.

i'll be honest and say that i was really sad to see shogun tap to strikes to jones. but these men are human. they're not robots, and can't sustain endless amounts of abuse. jones was the better fighter, plain and simple. anyway, to me jones has lost twice, as it is. fuck what the judges say. he lost to santos and reyes. and is he ever going to fight again? the guy is always in some type of drama. it's embarrassing.
Paul Craig must have some serious punching power as well. I think craig and jones would be a good fight.

Couture verbally submitted to strikes way back in the day, too. What a puss.

Am I doing it right?
Yeah, against Ricco. Shmefur dispray. <Oku01> Just go out on your shield like a warrior like BJ Penn, all you have to do is quit on the stool like a real man.

Igor tapping to strikes against Mark Coleman also showed that he might have been an athlete, but Igor was no fighter.
Rampage tapping to Fedor proved that his tough guy persona was just that, he was soft all along.

Frank Mir was quoted saying that "it's an unspoken rule that it's shameful, unacceptable & soft to tap to strikes"© , so much props to him to actively fight against that stigma by doing on the world stage and tapping to Javy

I couldn't find a gif at first, so I figured I'd propose that you enjoy this gif of Fedor smeshing juiced Mir in 48 seconds... forces Mir to duck his right, and then catches him square on the jaw with his sneaky left <5> beautiful.

Mir has been talking shit about Kongo before their bout, because Kongo tapped to strikes against Yvel a long time ago... but still recent video show him talking shit about JJ taping to strikes about Thug Rose.

It's 22min50sec in.

Mir has always been a massive BJ Penn fan, so he might have said that as a jab against GSP? Even if quitting on the stool is a million times worse than tapping to strikes (and like the Jones/Shogun situation, it counted as a TKO since the ref was already stopping in when the losers started to tap out)

With the discussion of pride fighters in the ufc these days, this makes me wonder.

Is shogun the only pride fighter to tap to strikes? Does paul craig have enough stopping power in his punches to make a legend quit in mid fight?
Pride. Is normal.

Never ever got the hate for tapping to strikes. You guy's clearly haven't had a grown man on top of you raining down hard punches. Most of you usually just have grown men on top of you.

You clearly didnt get the memo that 100% of sherbros are 6'5 black belts

Don't you know? GSP, and only GSP is to be called out and ridiculed for tapping to strikes! It doesn't matter that he took approximately 30 consecutive shots to the head. It doesn't matter that the ref was actually moving to stop the fight before GSP actually started to tap. It doesn't matter that Matt Serra hits like a wrecking ball. It doesn't matter that dozens of other elite fighters have tapped to strikes, those were all excusable. It is only be thought of as disgraceful in GSP's case. I guess you missed that memo, too.

The GSP kids always need new diapers. Classic.

people really going to talk about shogun tapping to juicehead jones.

plus there is nothing wrong with tapping vs craig.

Back