Television Shogun

My only complaint with the show is when they use CGI for the environmental shots, especially when the scenes are on a ship. It's fake enough to be distracting. That's a minor quibble, though. Otherwise, it's fantastic. Watching Yabushige's plans fall apart in front of his eyes is hilarious.

My only complaint with the show is when they use CGI for the environmental shots, especially when the scenes are on a ship. It's fake enough to be distracting. That's a minor quibble, though. Otherwise, it's fantastic. Watching Yabushige's plans fall apart in front of his eyes is hilarious.
The original used the same ship for Blackthornes and the portuguese ship no cgi back then and the castle was Osaka castle. Its a beautiful fortress google it. Osaka prefecture was used in black rain too because the Japanese wouldnt let them film in Tokyo.
Yabu was cool as hell in the og too even his ending was alpha. Dunno bout this new Yabu.

For me main character is rodriguez

Actual mc lacks charisma or "cool" (i have not read books or see earlier adaptations so it might be hes supposed to be a bit stoic)
Most anime MCs are dull af and have a much more interesting "friend/s" to carry the show.

Has anyone ever tried natto? Thinking bout adding it to my "delicious meals" ooooooooo

I sell it in my store. It's pretty good, I usually just add it on top of rice. I think it also has one of those probiotic benefits like Kimchi and kefir. Still a niche product, but there is a small but reliable group of customers for it now.

Last edited:
I sell it in my store. It's pretty good, I usually just add it on top of rice. I think it also has one of those probiotic benefits like Kimchi and kefir. Still a niche product, but there is a small but reliable good of customers for it now.
Yep heard about the probiotics. I use to make kimchi the first time I tried store bought I loved it. So filled the cabinet full of stuff to sit and turn into it.

Yep heard about the probiotics. I use to make kimchi the first time I tried store bought I loved it. So filled the cabinet full of stuff to sit and turn into it.
It's pretty cool to see people in the west (assuming you are) adopting all these kinds of food. We've been selling kimchi for years, but it's really been hitting the mainstream. Same goes for regular and frozen mochi. I remember stocking up on one unit of frozen mochi, barely selling anything, and had to throw away the expired ones. But now it's a very solid seller, have around 10 flavors in our freezer alone.

It's pretty cool to see people in the west (assuming you are) adopting all these kinds of food. We've been selling kimchi for years, but it's really been hitting the mainstream. Same goes for regular and frozen mochi. I remember stocking up on one unit of frozen mochi, barely selling anything, and had to throw away the expired ones. But now it's a very solid seller, have around 10 flavors in our freezer alone.
Bro I had all kinds of asian dishes in my delicious meals thread years ago. Szechuan chicken shrimp pad thai orange chicken home rolled sushi ect. You been on here awhile Im surprised you didnt see the thread. . The thread got deleted unfortunately with all my beautiful creations. I freakin love asian food it will be my requested last meal on death row......................:rolleyes:

That was probably the gnarliest depiction of cannons V soldiers I have ever seen on screen

HBOs The Borgias had an episode where the French army was rolling through Italy mowing down infantry with their cannons and chained shots. Shit was gnarly.

I guess the plan was to originally shoot in Japan back in 2019 and then there were some production setbacks. Then Covid happened and changed everything, the majority of the show is filmed in British Columbia.

The local tofu maker seems to make natto without the stinky odor or taste using USA soybeans. NHK World special says it boosts immune system, I'm guessing not unlike yogurt. Does seem like niche market and not easily found in grocery stores here.

Has anyone ever tried natto? Thinking bout adding it to my "delicious meals" ooooooooo

You could probably work it into a burrito with taco sauce. I saw in a video the soybean after fermentation isn't the same as normal soybean. It shrinks and stuff happens in it.

The local tofu maker seems to make natto without the stinky odor or taste using USA soybeans. NHK World special says it boosts immune system, I'm guessing not unlike yogurt. Does seem like niche market and not easily found in grocery stores here.

Ive read kimchi boosts immune system too and its yum yum. I take a ton of turmeric for that tho and Im never sick.

Sorry, :) Great actor but in Shogun imo he was just ok and not that an important actor: I think he falls behind all other side characters like the Jesuits, Omi, Fujiko...etc. It was too much Rys Davies and not enough portugues navigator for me.
Well I can't really argue against him bein Rhys-Davies - he always is. But didn't you find the banter between the New Rodriquez and Blackthorn reminiscent of Rhys-Davies in, well, anything?
For me main character is rodriguez

Actual mc lacks charisma or "cool" (i have not read books or see earlier adaptations so it might be hes supposed to be a bit stoic)
The earlier version had Richard Chamberlin. He was very charismatic and damn good-looking too.
1710863995460.png

I like how instead of adapting to Japanese customs the Englishman only finds new and novel and increasingly dramatic ways of making a fool of himself.

ya the show looks shockingly cheap at times.

There is one scene where they are leaving Osaka, and John and Toda are walking along with their party, and it’s clear that they and everyone behind them are just acting like they are walking, with a giant green screen behind them.

I also can’t stand the blue contacts that John Blackthornes actor is wearing, they look so fake, and make his eyes look like they point different directions at times.

I’m a sucker for Japanese period dramas though so I’m still watching.

Aside from plot, what's the purpose of hanging stinky rotting bird?

Aside from plot, what's the purpose of hanging stinky rotting bird?
To marinate it. It was explained better in the original the same thing happened but little Yumi was alot sweater after blackthorne got pissed. The one on here seems like a fucking bitch. I dont even know if shes called Yumi on the new show. Buntaro didnt almost die there were no cannon and the mother doesnt take command. Seems they are just making shit up as they go on this one. Rodrigues had alot more screen time too and was cool as hell. Im like eh at this point. They shitting all over my childhood,

Back