Shogun's Striking

Minimal Payne

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
He really needs to start changing things up.I saw him throw basically 3 strikes the whole fight.Leaping left hook,overhand right, or the occasional leg kick.If he really wants to get that belt he needs to mix things up a lot more.

He just doesn't throw combos anymore...always swings for the fences.

Shogun's training camp is just ridiculous.

All we can see is his talent... no game plan, technical improvement or physical conditioning.

TS and first 2 responses nailed it.

Either he gets to a real camp, or he should hang them up. I dunno if his knees can carry him forward (pun intended) or not, but if he wants to try it, he needs to try a real camp.

Yep, Gus was able to dodge about ten sloppily thrown overhand rights tonight.

He nailed Gus hard several times.

Gus landed more.

Shogun landed harder.

He hasn't been kicking since the second Machida fight where he coincidentally suffered a third ACL knee injury.

Put the two together and you have a brawling Shogun.

I'll leave this for those of us that remembered the killer Shogun. This was back in the Liddell/Machida time.

Among the most predictable I've ever seen... Shogun ain't the sharpest tool in the shed.

And i fear at this rate he will suffer brain damage like his brother

among other things. As you get older you need to rely more on game planning, conditioning than your athleticism.

sad to say shogun may never get a ts if he keeps up with this performance. and it isnt bec of Gus and his style. shogun was just throwing some wild punches

The body punches he was trowing was terrible, just terrible. Hope he stops doing them

He nailed Gus hard several times.

Gus landed more.

Shogun landed harder.

He didn't throw a combo, nor did he set up that right hand. His striking looks worse and worse now.

His striking has appeared to regress, he never learned to set things up with a jab, but now he is just throwing overhands not mixing in his kicks as much, repeatedly backing up in a straight line...I just don't get it. Still has great durability, experience, well-rounded skillset. I don't think he is done but he needs to make changes.

He was trying to time Gus witht he overhand right because Gus was leading with the uppercut. Not a bad strategy really and a fighter with a weaker chin would've been KOd

Def. Not what it used to be. Shogun is my all time favorite fighter but i hope he changes things up bigtime.

Back