• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Shotgun help

georgekillian

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
No idea if this is the wrong forum as i don't ever post in here. That said I just bought a house in a rural area. Its a safe nice area but it would take the police a bit to get there if something happened. Don't expect anything to but it would make myself and my wife feel a little safer with a home defense weapon.

Im a more liberal minded guy and have never purchased a gun. Fired many but they were all friends and relatives. Im looking for something 300 dollars or less (If possible) something no frills aim it rack it squeeze the trigger that's all I'm looking for. So for a first time gun buyer what would you recommend?

Again apologies if this is in the wrong spot. Also antigun people I hear your reasoning but I'm at a point in my life that I'm ready to own a gun so let's just keep it on topic if possible.

1103.jpg

Get familiar with a 22lr ruger 10/22 and fire a few hundred rounds through it for cheap. (ammo + gun should be under 300$)

You wont blow your ears out and you will be confident when you need it.

"Its got a good sprehd"

Last edited:
For under $300? Mossberg has their Maverick 88 line. I bought one on Black Friday for $180ish.

You really should go with a Mossberg 500 series as a starter shotgun. It's super cheap and reliable, and the manual of arms is easy for beginners. The biggest difference between the Mossberg and the Remington is that Remington has unnatural placement of their safety, which makes it hard to reach.

Buy yourself a nice Mossberg 500 Flex and you'll have a gun that serves you well for life. You can change out the stock and furniture for some really nice Magpul furniture for a few extra bucks. With a few minutes you can turn the Mossberg into a hunting gat or a close quarters self defense weapon.

I'm a huge gun person, so feel free to throw a bunch of questions my way.

No idea if this is the wrong forum as i don't ever post in here. That said I just bought a house in a rural area. Its a safe nice area but it would take the police a bit to get there if something happened. Don't expect anything to but it would make myself and my wife feel a little safer with a home defense weapon.

Im a more liberal minded guy and have never purchased a gun. Fired many but they were all friends and relatives. Im looking for something 300 dollars or less (If possible) something no frills aim it rack it squeeze the trigger that's all I'm looking for. So for a first time gun buyer what would you recommend?

Again apologies if this is in the wrong spot. Also antigun people I hear your reasoning but I'm at a point in my life that I'm ready to own a gun so let's just keep it on topic if possible.

Remington 870

wm_2072809.jpg

I got a Mossberg 500 for the same reason. Preferred it over the Remington 870 when I looked into both.

Pic related:

mossberg_500_cruiser.jpg

I'm a huge gun person, so feel free to throw a bunch of questions my way.
What you think of .22lr semi rifle for rural home defense?

i like the noise/reach/ ease of use/capacity / and nighttime use (if need on critters without freaking people out) and price

downside is stopping power (assuming)

Thanks for the reponses this far. Mods if you are this please move to weapons and tactics. The Mossberg 500 looks good any downside to it?

Saiga's usually run between $600-$800, but they are excellent home defense shotguns, if you prefer pistol grips like me.

saiga12_tactical_1.jpg_thumbnail1.jpg

Thanks for the reponses this far. Mods if you are this please move to weapons and tactics. The Mossberg 500 looks good any downside to it?
i have 1, im particular about noise. when you are half asleep are you prepared to put lead on target after listening to a bomb not too far from your ear?

capacity and price another 2 big concerns i have.

i dont want to fanboy the .22lr too hard but i really think its worth discussing

Remington 870.
The Mossberg 500/590 is another good choice if you don't mind having a pistol grip.

i have 1, im particular about noise. when you are half asleep are you prepared to put lead on target after listening to a bomb not too far from your ear?

capacity and price another 2 big concerns i have.

i dont want to fanboy the .22lr too hard but i really think its worth discussing

Again I know nothing about this stuff so the 22lr Does it have good stopping power? Would it be easier for my wife to shoot if need be? You feel absolutely confident in defnding yourself with it?

It would be much easier to shoot since it has no kick and it will kill someone but a shotgun is much more lethal. I'd teach her on a 22 and let her move up to a shotgun after getting used to shooting.

Again I know nothing about this stuff so the 22lr Does it have good stopping power? Would it be easier for my wife to shoot if need be? You feel absolutely confident in defnding yourself with it?
I have both mossberg 500 and a ruger10/22 and i like the 22 better....
a 10 year old can be confident with it given appropriate instructions

The wife would absolutely be better off (imo) learning on a .22lr rather than a 12g pump. somtimes its difficult to pump if you have short arms and a long stock and are physically weak. and again you have to have hearing protection with 12 gauge.

.22lr supersonic or subsonic is no problem on the ears and you never really have to clean them depending on what model you have

you are rural area you might need to hit things in the 150 yard range, 22lr can do that relatively easy as well, shotgun cant
(22lr is probably better overall in close range as well, hunting is the only thing i would use 12g for)

Back