• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Shotgun recommendation needed

PS, I have a S&W M&P9 I carry daily, with a .38 S&W backup, a judge by the bed and a remington 500 tac that I keep in the corner. So primarily I use a handgun for home defense, I don't think that is the right answer for a 13 year old.

A firearms expert who owns a Judge....... That let's everyone know how savvy you are.

I've said it before in previous threads but it stands repeating. I've racked shotguns while pointing them at peoples' faces and no one soiled themselves, lost bowl control or cried for mommy.

I have to rack a round in because our PD shotguns are carried in the "cruiser ready" condition which is full tube but no round in the chamber.

Glad to see you don't advocate it.

Is it okay to keep a fully loaded tube or will the spring eventually wear out? How about loading just three shells for the time being so the springs can last longer?

I carry a Remington 870 occasionally on duty and I quickly bought one after realizing how awesome they are. Relatively cheap, tons of tactical stuff for them if that's your thing and they are reliable/accurate as fuck.

Is it okay to keep a fully loaded tube or will the spring eventually wear out? How about loading just three shells for the time being so the springs can last longer?

I've read the biggest wear on springs is the stretching back and forth between loaded and unloaded. A loaded spring will not prematurely wear, can't find the article though. Should be fine to keep the tube loaded as long as the weapon is kept in good condition otherwise.

If I can find the article I'll edit and link it here.

EDIT: Quick Google search gave me this link to the highroad forums
http://www.handgunforum.net/smith-wesson/13993-loaded-magazine-long-time-will-kill-spring.html

Last edited:
If you think the actual biochemistry behind muscle memory (which you clearly have a 10 year old's grasp of) isn't affected by adrenaline then you just aren't smart enough to be using the term.

When is the last time you were involved in a combat situation do you even train for it. You like to talk but most shit bags on this site do. When they get self conscious because somebody who actually has experience starts talking these same shit bags resort to name calling and trash talking which you have resorted to in more than one reply. if you think you have fired more weapons than I'll ever hear of that's fine think what you will. My guess is you've probably never been fired upon. You've never had to fire upon someone else. Have you ever seen someone shot. Have you ever left this country or state. Or even your mothers house. I can assure you I am well versed in all weapon systems. I have personally used at least twenty different platforms in real world situations. I can tell you muscle memory is real and if you drill it enough you do things without even thinking. This why you drill cqb mag changes target discrimination etc. Hell. Its why we go to the range or practice drawing in front of a mirror. Furthermore adrenaline isn't a bad thing it will keep your ass alive. Shit goes down and you don't even recognize how fucked up it was until after the fact. I'm a YouTube e genius. That's funny because I've probably been doing things you only see on tv since we'll before you realized your dick had more uses to it then pissing in your own pants.so tell me about your credentials toughguy. If you haven't been
in the military or contracted or worked for a 3 letter agency for at least 15-20 years don't waste my time.

Almost forgot. Don't fucking say uber you look like a clown a gay one.

Last edited:
Keep it fully loaded. Springs wear out by compressing/decompressing. And they're cheap enough (less than $10 for a Wolff spring) to easily replace if they do wear out.

I have a lot of shotguns (or my dad does now since I live overseas).

I have a few 870s, a few 500s and a 590(a1?), and thats just the pump guns. All of them are great choices. I like the 500 slightly more than the 870 but I think its really 6 of 1, 1/2 dozen of the other with a slight edge going to the 500 for its finish and placement of the safety. You should definatly avoid one of those pistol shotguns, they are much harder to fire accuratly (you CAN miss with a shotgun).

Before I moved, I kept a 500 or an 870 behind the door loaded with 000 buck or 00 buck. Next to the night stand was a glock or a sig in 45, 9m or 10mm. I also routinly kept an 870 in my truck behind the seat whenever I went camping or anything like that, never needed it but was nice to have.

I really like pump action shotguns and agree with everybody who says to get some training. For your sun, Id suggest a basic hunters safety class to start, then if you want, get into a defensive shooting course.

When is the last time you were involved in a combat situation do you even train for it. You like to talk but most shit bags on this site do. When they get self conscious because somebody who actually has experience starts talking these same shit bags resort to name calling and trash talking which you have resorted to in more than one reply. if you think you have fired more weapons than I'll ever hear of that's fine think what you will. My guess is you've probably never been fired upon. You've never had to fire upon someone else. Have you ever seen someone shot. Have you ever left this country or state. Or even your mothers house. I can assure you I am well versed in all weapon systems. I have personally used at least twenty different platforms in real world situations. I can tell you muscle memory is real and if you drill it enough you do things without even thinking. This why you drill cqb mag changes target discrimination etc. Hell. Its why we go to the range or practice drawing in front of a mirror. Furthermore adrenaline isn't a bad thing it will keep your ass alive. Shit goes down and you don't even recognize how fucked up it was until after the fact. I'm a YouTube e genius. That's funny because I've probably been doing things you only see on tv since we'll before you realized your dick had more uses to it then pissing in your own pants.so tell me about your credentials toughguy. If you haven't been
in the military or contracted or worked for a 3 letter agency for at least 15-20 years don't waste my time.

Clearly the type of little girl's hissy fit that an "Elite Operator" goes on, it's ok kiddo, no one was buying your bullshit before, so this just a good excuse to drop the act. I like how your go to is to immediately try to compare "credentials", 'cause that's what the real tough guys do right? Sit around and bluster like a child?

None of the navy seals I ever met would talk like that on the internet. Tell us more, Im intrigued now...

Clearly the type of little girl's hissy fit that an "Elite Operator" goes on, it's ok kiddo, no one was buying your bullshit before, so this just a good excuse to drop the act. I like how your go to is to immediately try to compare "credentials", 'cause that's what the real tough guys do right? Sit around and bluster like a child?

Thats what I thought, have a nice day.

Last edited:
I have a Rem 870 I set up for home defense. Extended tube, pistol grip forend, short barrel, short shock-absorbing stock, rail-mounted flashlight up front. Hopefully I'll never need it for this purpose but it would work just fine.

None of the navy seals I ever met would talk like that on the internet. Tell us more, Im intrigued now...

How did you know that? I didn't say I was a SEAL.

I get that you're being a smartass and thats fine, I probably would too. PM me and maybe one day we can have some beers and talk some shit.

I have a Rem 870 I set up for home defense. Extended tube, pistol grip forend, short barrel, short shock-absorbing stock, rail-mounted flashlight up front. Hopefully I'll never need it for this purpose but it would work just fine.

Sounds nice. My favorite front grip is the magpul afg2. Looks awkward but they're amazing and much more natural then a gangster grip.

Jesus, this place is turning into the freaking war room. Unless you guys are gonna start PMing people copies of your DD214's showing you're some badass operator or have a shit load of down range time as an actual door kicker, lets keep the name calling and childish responses to a minimum please.

You can have disagreements of opinion but lets keep it to that.

Jesus, this place is turning into the freaking war room. Unless you guys are gonna start PMing people copies of your DD214's showing you're some badass operator or have a shit load of down range time as an actual door kicker, lets keep the name calling and childish responses to a minimum please.

You can have disagreements of opinion but lets keep it to that.

Agreed.

But I can back my bullshit.

Sounds nice. My favorite front grip is the magpul afg2. Looks awkward but they're amazing and much more natural then a gangster grip.

I like that one. Almost went that way, but I'm comfortable with the "assault weapon" look of the shotgun now, and I can grab both handles really well. I figure someone wouldn't be able to yank the shotgun out of my hands in close quarters.

This thread got me excited. Ill be back in the States for a visit soon and Im going to bust out a few guns of mine and do some shooting. BEfore I moved, I was absolutely obsessed with guns and training courses, over the course of 2.5 years, I took 7 different courses at good training facilities. I really enjoyed those classes. I wish I had time to take another Thunder Ranch course.

Thanks a lot for all of the help, guys. I really appreciate it.

I ended up putting a deposit down on the 500 8-shot Persuader from Gallery of Guns on Tuesday. So, now I'm just waiting for it to arrive at my local shop.

I ended up putting a deposit down on the 500 8-shot Persuader from Gallery of Guns on Tuesday. So, now I'm just waiting for it to arrive at my local shop.

cool

Good choice, there's a lot of accessories for the 500's.

Back