Shotokan Karate and Machida Shotokan Karate

Excerpt from Ultimate MMA interview with Machida "Samurai Warrior"

Had to type all that :p. Thought it might be on interest.

Thanks for finding that. This conversation needs to end with the word of the man himself.

If I look like I am pro karate in this discussion I am. I am sitting here and watching people tell me and others what karate is and is not. After 30 years, I can not let this stuff be defined by the ignorant. If you do not know, just stay out of the conversation.

Thanks for finding that. This conversation needs to end with the word of the man himself.

If I look like I am pro karate in this discussion I am. I am sitting here and watching people tell me and others what karate is and is not. After 30 years, I can not let this stuff be defined by the ignorant. If you do not know, just stay out of the conversation.[/QUOTE]

Exactly the point i been making, you have people who don't know karate past a base level tellign people who do, that's not karate; the reason they say this is because they don't know karate, they only know the movies or commercialized version. So they try to apply it to something they do recognize, i.e. kickboxing/my; when it's not, machida's emergence has truly exposed those who a)respect tma/karate and b)those who understand tma and karate.

even when machida says it people still want to claim its not; i have 2nd/3rd degree blkblts and tournament fighters, as well as old school practitioners telling me he does karate. But im supp to take the word of someone who doesn't know it, hasn't trained it extensively, yeah right; i know karate and i know that is what he does, people who don't know karate think he is anything but.

If I look like I am pro karate in this discussion I am. I am sitting here and watching people tell me and others what karate is and is not. After 30 years, I can not let this stuff be defined by the ignorant. If you do not know, just stay out of the conversation.

the go to a karate forum and have your circle jerk there. Don't come into a public forum and just say "i did karate for 30 years so listen to what i say".

Also if you pay attention to most of his fights you will see that he uses a lot of MT straight and switch knees

Are you serious? Look at yourself, struggling to find some sort of MT in Machida's game. So now Machida is the champ not because of Karate, but because of some MT techniques he is covertly using. Its pathetic as it is sad.

I love this. He does a little karate? Seriously I am not out looking for an argument but you come on and say "The truth is" that he does not really use much karate. Why is he thanking his karate and you guys say that he is not using it. HE has already said that his karate is his biggest strength. He has been doing it for 27 years. Of course he has become comfortable with other striking styles (you mention his boxing being sloppy) but he is dangerous because of karate.

What truth is this? He attributes it to karate himself. He said it when he won. he did not say thank God I studied MT. For the people who want to downplay it, lie to yourself but don't expect others to buy it.

BTW there is no hyphen in karateka.

He is successful with his karate because he is an EXPERT with every thing else. He is a complete martial artist. He is a high level bb in bjj. He went to thai land to train thai boxing , he went to japan to learn judo , he participated in sumo contests at home. Put this all together and he says he has something called machida Karate. He uses his base in Karate to attack because it is unorthodox striking style.

As a 25 yr practitioner of JKA Shotokan karate, I have to agree that the overwhelming majority of his stand-up is pure Shotokan. His mawashigeri, kizamizuki, gyakuzuki combination was truly spectacular. Rashad was able to block the roundhouse but he had no idea the other two punches were coming to his face.

He is successful with his karate because he is an EXPERT with every thing else. He is a complete martial artist. He is a high level bb in bjj. He went to thai land to train thai boxing , he went to japan to learn judo , he participated in sumo contests at home. Put this all together and he says he has something called machida Karate. He uses his base in Karate to attack because it is unorthodox striking style.

True. Never in dispute. However it is frustrating to have people tell you what you know is one thing be something else.

the go to a karate forum and have your circle jerk there. Don't come into a public forum and just say "i did karate for 30 years so listen to what i say".

If I have to say that it is not because I want to say that I have been studying for 30 years but that someone needs to STATE what is true. I am sitting here reading stuff. People may not be trying to make things up but they are doing it. I guess I should shut up when people stand up and tell others what he is doing and how little of it is karate. He beat Rashad on his feet. I know he is a black belt in BJJ, Sumo and has very good wrestling. But he beat Rashad on his feet. That is karate.

I am an MMA fan which is why I am here. My strongest style is karate.

I watched the fight with one of the top shotokan karate practitioners in North America and we were both blown away at how Machida basically point fee-sparred with Evans, but did not hold back from making contact as you would in a points match.

I watched the fight with one of the top shotokan karate practitioners in North America and we were both blown away at how Machida basically point fee-sparred with Evans, but did not hold back from making contact as you would in a points match.

Yes!

I was looking for footage to build this premise and present it in a thread. I have Vid of Machida in tournaments and then I show him in recent fights. You will see 80% similarity. I am trying to show how others in the point scene fight like Machida does.

Point fights you make one strike and stop or you hear the ref. He simply has stopped stopping and removed limitations.

You would actually be very surprised if you visited karate forums (which I frequently do). Machida is NOT a hot topic on these forums. There may be one thread on him and not even the most active thread. Everyone is not sitting around high fiving each other saying, "KARATE IS BACK ON THE MAP BABY!!!"

It might be a fault of TMAs but the view can be very insular at times. Which is why I made my comment about how people aren't sitting around saying, "We have to train more K-1 entries..."

If I have to say that it is not because I want to say that I have been studying for 30 years but that someone needs to STATE what is true. I am sitting here reading stuff. People may not be trying to make things up but they are doing it. I guess I should shut up when people stand up and tell others what he is doing and how little of it is karate. He beat Rashad on his feet. I know he is a black belt in BJJ, Sumo and has very good wrestling. But he beat Rashad on his feet. That is karate.

I am an MMA fan which is why I am here. My strongest style is karate.

what you need to do, if you care that is. Is to come up with decent rebuttals. Instead you resort to "i did karate".

You would actually be very surprised if you visited karate forums (which I frequently do). Machida is NOT a hot topic on these forums. There may be one thread on him and not even the most active thread. Everyone is not sitting around high fiving each other saying, "KARATE IS BACK ON THE MAP BABY!!!"

It might be a fault of TMAs but the view can be very insular at times. Which is why I made my comment about how people aren't sitting around saying, "We have to train more K-1 entries..."

Very few of my karate friends watch or like MMA. Many are turned off.

what you need to do, if you care that is. Is to come up with decent rebuttals. Instead you resort to "i did karate".

I don't resort to anything. I am trying to clarify things but more mis-information is popping up.

Why do you always seem so bothered? Life is too short.

If you want misinformation to be cleared up, you need to come with good information on a consistant basis. With proof and/or examples. As for me being bothered; hey.. i just call it like i see it.

If you want misinformation to be cleared up, you need to come with good information on a consistant basis. With proof and/or examples. As for me being bothered; hey.. i just call it like i see it.

Buddy, so far all I have done is clarify. Then I get you telling me I don't come with information and all you do is doubt, throw bombs and do this silly sideline garbage. You yourself add nothing.

Just calling it like I see it.

wow Chachi! My karate friends are exactly the same. They do not know who machida is and do not even watch MMA. The shotokan world is extremely insular. They are not training to win "open" tournaments or fight pro, winning shotokan comps in and of itself is very prestigious in the karate world.

Are you serious? Look at yourself, struggling to find some sort of MT in Machida's game. So now Machida is the champ not because of Karate, but because of some MT techniques he is covertly using. Its pathetic as it is sad.

He's not champ because of karate, he's champ because he's so well rounded. No one is denying that karate is his base style but you have to be blind not to see the boxing and mt in his stand up. He doesn't train with guys like Anderson and the Nog brothers for no reason. And I like Machida, it's exciting and refreshing to see someone with a style like his, but he's not the "best striker evah" or unbeatable.

The TMA nuthuggers are just as patethic as the TMA bashers.

He's not champ because of karate, he's champ because he's so well rounded. No one is denying that karate is his base style but you have to be blind not to see the boxing and mt in his stand up. He doesn't train with guys like Anderson and the Nog brothers for no reason. And I like Machida, it's exciting and refreshing to see someone with a style like his, but he's not the "best striker evah" or unbeatable.

The TMA nuthuggers are just as patethic as the TMA bashers.

1. He is well rounded and karate is his base. He just beat the champ in a stand up fight. He credits karate himself. Yes he is very well trained in other systems but he does not say MT is back or BJJ is back or anything else. He distinctly said karate.

2. He is well rounded. Many people were saying that before the fight. However, Rashad kept it standing and was beat on his feet. Since Machida himself says karate is his base, then you can say that Evans was beat with his dominant standing style of karate.

3. He trains with Nog and Anderson because that is where the best fighters are in MMA near him. Is he ONLY supposed to do karate?

4. In this last fight I saw mostly karate. He hit him with a couple of hooks (they were not pretty) but that was a flurry. The reason he threw the flurry was because he tagged him with a straight short left off a kick which I have not see in MT classes but have seen, done and taught in karate. Not sure where the MT is but I have seen him clinch. I guess that is the big MT part of his game.

Best striker ever? Who knows but he has been thrown into the P4P discussions. So far he has never lost a round in MMA, is undefeated and champion. If time stopped and you had to look at standings, based on that, he could be considered the best ever (I am not saying it but you could make the argument).

Back