Should Max Holloway pull out of BMF fight and go for Topuria?

Max is 0-4 in his last 4 title fights, the UFC is not eager to give him yet another FW title shot on a mediocre two fight win streak. One being a layup fight against a punch drunk Korean Zombie

No. He's likely making a good deal more for the Gaethje fight.

But if he wins that, then he will have serious momentum and shine, so he might be able to negotiate the next title shot in his division.

No. He's likely making a good deal more for the Gaethje fight.

But if he wins that, then he will have serious momentum and shine, so he might be able to negotiate the next title shot in his division.

Totally I agree with this. If Holloway beats Justin he will leverage the win into a FW title shot which he would deserve.

Honestly, if Max lost to Justin but it was a really tough memorable fight, he might also get the FW title shot next.

He won’t get the FW title shot if Justin easily destroys him though.

As a Max fan, I would like that very much.

Dana don't want to hear about any pullouts on 300 unless it's due to injury.

If Max wins then we would have something even more special with him against Topuiria. Let it play out without messing with what's already scheduled.

<PlusJuan>

And moreover, we all love Max, but Ilia just isn't for him. Who is ready for Ilia, really?

Max is much more likely to beat Topuria than Gaethje lmao what are you talking about. That's a great competitive fight

Max is 0-4 in his last 4 title fights, the UFC is not eager to give him yet another FW title shot on a mediocre two fight win streak. One being a layup fight against a punch drunk Korean Zombie
0-3 actually. Also given a relative lack of interesting and clear contenders in the division and Max popularity he's much closer to the title than most imo.

But not if he pulls the BMF fight. If he wins that fight, the shot at FW is guaranteed. Even if he loses but has a good showing and steals the show, I could see his next fight being for the title.

Max is my favorite fighter and I would love for him to back out, but he won’t. First he isn’t that kind of guy and second the UFC would be pissed. He won’t back out. Win or lose against Gaethje, I think Max is going to take a lot of damage in that fight and will be compromised the rest of his career by it.

The BMF fight at LW doesn't lose him any standing at FW, he'd still be one of the next logical title challengers, even if he loses. But if Max wins the BMF belt, he'd be in a position to challenge for the LW title as well. Or have some gimmick BMF belt fight vs Conor or whoever. Go on that quest as well, where, again, he'd lose nothing at FW.

It's risky, but I think it's worth it. He already had the FW title, he should try something new.

It's probably a bit of a bummer for him in that he could have easily been thrown into that title picture now that Volk lost. BMF title is good for his wallet and theoretically doesn't hurt his standing in his own division but Gaethje isn't a good fight for your overall longevity. Max's style is not likely to get Justin out of there- at least not early in the fight- and Justin's style is very likely to hurt Max at some point. If Holloway pulls this one off, more power to him. But if it's a vicious loss then that could be a problem for a guy that already has taken quite a few big shots in his career and leaned on his durability.

Love max but he doesn't deserve a title shot rn

Hell no, Gaethje is the more winnable fight.

Back