Should "Touching Gloves" (MID-FIGHT) be a DQ or Foul?

"Attempting to make glove contact above the head without intent to knock out, strike, or otherwise put the opponent in a worse situation shall be disallowed and may result in the deduction of a point"

I feel like those moments happen in a usually pretty neutral state anyways.

Like fighter A slips some punches and exits too far for fighter B to even think of trying to strike anymore and throws up a high five as a "Shit that was slick" type thing. Can it be a bit much? Yea but that's more of a mindset issue for the fighter themselves and their success I guess.

People always complain about Crocop vs Barry and KZ vs Yair but those fights ended in finishes and the KZ/Yair fight was an absolute war from start to finish.... hugs ruin a fun war for you? That just sounds sensitive.

Stupid as hell. Fighters can hug, dap and do whatever the fuck they want as long as their in the process of trying to take the other man’s head off.

You can still 100% show love in the process of “fighting” or combat. Fighters have showed respect and STILL Finished their opponents. It’s fighting contest not a hating contest…some meatheads don’t know the difference.

While it probably makes a fighter look like an asshole, they’re not required to touch gloves when prompted. Ignore them or wave them off, and I’m sure they’ll stop trying. In fact, fighters are totally within their right to use that moment to their advantage and get a strike off (protect yourself at all times and what not)…

What I hate would be fighters trying to fake a glove touch and use that to their advantage. Luckily I can’t recall a fight where it benefited the offender all that much…

b1TjZ7m.gif

np33rto8mpu01.gif

Sometimes it actually enhances what's going on. I can sometimes hate the overindulgence of hugging moments especially but delaying/stalling/timidity is already an infraction, so this suggestion is just sour grapes of the highest order.

yeah fam str8 DQ them boiz supposed to be in there buckin' gotta squash dat beef when dem hands scrappin' is about havin that killer mindset kill or be killed die or be died fam str8 up🥊🚫❤️👊

if I'm in there scrappin' and mans try to glove touch after I just missed 'em widda clean left hook Poatan style....str8 beta fam just admit you'd have died fam and do better next time counter or somethin instead styll iono tf? 🤷‍♂️💥🥊

I detest it, I really have an issue with fighters constantly high fiving and fist bumping and even sometimes hugging during the fight, its ridiculous and is a huge disgrace to the history of the sport and everyone who has ever competed in it

If you notice basically all the fights where the 2 fighters are constantly high fiving and fist bumping never end in a finish, it always goes to decision. I think thats because it just gives the vibe of a friendly spar and the fighters relax more.. even if they don't want too, its subconscious.

As you said fist bump, high five before and after the fight is great and thats respect, no issues whatsoever. But to keep doing it during the fight just gives the impression its not a actual "fight" and all seems too much like friendly sparring to me.. and like I said why is there no finishes in those fights. Just by the law of averages theres probably a fight where there was a finish when the fighters were constantly high fiving and fist bumping after a flush punch was landed... but honestly most of them go to decision, I've noticed it since ages
I think that's just heuristics. A shitty hugathon that goes to a decision is memorable because of the shitty hugs, but a friendly barnburner isn't remembered for being friendly.

Frankly, I've found in the comparison between "hate"-fueled fights (usually fake) and fights between two guys who like each other, it's the latter where two people are more likely to deliver on the action. Guys acknowledging each other (without feeling like they stop the action) feels much more like they're just hungry to get their own back. And it let's us (or those of us who aren't so pretend-alpha-brained armchair psychologists who pretend every nod is a concession cuz Rogan told us), get an inside view on the back and forth of the action.

I find it cringy.. That's why I don't care for fighters like Kevin Holland. Fighters who want to be buddy buddy with their opponents mid fight make me puke.. Hate it in any other sports much and especially in a sport like MMA

You agree with me, and disagree with me, contradicting yourself.

Put the gummy bears down, go to sleep, and re-read tomorrow with a full deck.
?!? I just said I agree during the fight not to do the non stop high fives...I am guessing you were thinking about the Ian vs Neal fight...so I brought up another one...the Zombie vs Yair ...I think your being a little toxic there.

I like the idea that glove touching should be banned. However, it would be awkward to actually dish out penalties for it, especially if both fighters engage in it.

Double dq? No contest? Not sure if it could be properly enforced.

If they're banging and or have a great fight yes but if it's a snoozer like Neal vs Machado he'll no!

?!? I just said I agree during the fight not to do the non stop high fives...I am guessing you were thinking about the Ian vs Neal fight...so I brought up another one...the Zombie vs Yair ...I think your being a little toxic there.
It's his default setting. And fuck, that's even coming from me.

He's just grumpy cuz it's well past his bedtime and he never got his tapioca today

Sorry, scrotum-head,

This thread seeks to eradicate beta-efforts to "make peace" in the middle of a GD fight.

Fighters should be fighting, not touching gloves.

Where did the beta touch (and convert) you? Is he in the room with us now?

Quit thinking about how "beta" professional cage fighters are and instead act like a man yourself, not a sniveling internet . . . .beta.

Man ur thread quality has really dropped off in 2024

I don't think there should be any glove touch after the ref says go. We've had multiple instances where a fighter will use it to try to get an extra attack or takedown. Just stop. Save that shit for before the fight or after.

I don't mind it here and there, but I do agree it was way too much in the Neal/Garry bout and it pretty much became a way for Garry to pause the action with Neal oddly going along with it each time despite it going against his coaches wishes.

In rounds one and two, Garry would offer up a high five/touch every time Neal landed something clean.
And if it was a trick to help slow down the fight or put Neal out of rhythm I guess it worked lol. I feel bad for Neal's coach there, dude sounded pretty pissed that he kept playing along with that stuff.

Back