Should UFC have mandatory retirement and what criteria?

Rationality

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Should UFC fighters be forced to retire at age 40 or after 35 professional fights at any level? Other ideas? Against it altogether?
Discuss please.

I can't believe some of you must still want to watch Chris Weidman and Tony Ferguson fight. They are two obvious, obvious reasons I'm making this thread. You guys enjoy watching them at their current levels???
Are some of you the same guys that are mad about Jones fighting Stipe?

I can't believe some of you must still want to watch Chris Weidman and Tony Ferguson fight. They are two obvious, obvious reasons I'm making this thread. You guys enjoy watching them at their current levels???
I want people to be free to make they're own decisions. If they feel like they can still fight, let em bang. They aren't looking after your life telling you what to do or how to live. LET EM BANG!

Are some of you the same guys that are mad about Jones fighting Stipe?

Athletic commission should have stopped granting Ferguson a license a while ago. Dude is going to go Benoit one of these days

If they can build a machine that measures punching power they can build a machine that measures reflexes and speed. Fighters drop too many points below their baseline/division average, they have to retire for safety and health purposes. Could be a 42 year old getting long in the tooth or a 32 year old who’s been hit in the head far too many times.

Last edited:
No man, terrible idea. It's better to burn out then to fade away.
<PlusJuan>

neilyoung-dog.gif

Couldn't they just create a senior division that had fighters over the age of 40 fight each other in legacy fights.
Every time I read a post about a senior division I almost ask a higher power to grant me the foresight to know these are all done in jest.

That is so stupid on so many levels but the age one is extra stupid cause divisions differ a lot in terms of prime and age. A 40 years old flyweight is very different from a 40 years old heavyweight. Not to mention wmma and shit like that. Such rules simply doesn't work

Mandatory requirement would have to be some kind of medical thing, I think.

But I think we're maybe 20-25 years off that. They struggle to even diagnose obvious cases of CTE.

Someone like Elkins should 100 % be forced to retire, the fact he's still fighting is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back