Shoyoroll Batch 8- The White Mamba Detailed Review

jimlad

White Belt
Reaction score
I think most if not all will be aware of Shoyoroll and what their brand is all about, their gis are like gold dust. Shoyoroll can truly say they are the only brand of their sort in the BJJ community, continuously listening to and adapting to their customers needs, producing high end limited edition gear in unique colour ways -that inspire most of us to sit in front of our computer screens for hours on end constantly hitting refresh to snap one up in the brief period we can.
As a result I have been itching to get my hands on one for some time, and literally couldn

The trousers are constructed of 12oz ripstop fabric with reinforced knees, there are several other reinforcements at the crotch and hips. The trouser hem receives a noteworthy four rows of stitching, definitely an upgrade for the guard players as this in theory should last forever. Again the trousers feature the famous logos and custom taping. The drawstring also deserves a mention as it is soft, long and should last a session without coming undone again in that beautiful purplr colour.

Knee reinforcments
Kneereinforcment.jpg

Touser.jpg

Trouser logo
Trouserbadge.jpg

Reinforcements
trouserreinforcments.jpg

Trouser hem, note the taping and 4 rows of stitching
Trousertapingandstitching.jpg

I stand around 5

The bad bit...
Ok earlier I mentioned the craftsmanship or construction of the gi, this is something I’m pretty disappointed in. After seeing gis from brands which you could inspect with a magnifying glass I expected something similar if not better from shoyoroll, however this was not to be. The problem is limited to the jacket and more specifically the stitching which is best described as uneven and messy with many loose threads. It looks rushed which is surprising considering it took 5 months to get here. Rather than looking like a high end “fine cut kimono” it almost looks like a cheaply made gi with nice patches, if the stitching was not in contrast to the rest it would not be a problem but the fact it stands out so boldly means it is. I have inspected several other gi and not noticed the likes of this before. Although I’m sure this is mainly cosmetic it is still disappointing, i will probably drop Vince a line and see what they think about the stitching as maybe it’s just me.

Uneven and messy sleeve stitching
dodgystitching.jpg

Uneven and very messy back stitching
Backstitching.jpg

Wonky taping
dodgytaping.jpg

Conclusion

Solid styling and colour way
Super light
Tapered fit
Exclusive
Questionable craftsmanship

I will follow up in a few weeks on shrinkage, performance and how its holding up.

great looking gi! can't wait for my yank to come around...

about the craftsmanship...i'm a little dissappointed, only a little b/c it doesn't look like a detriment to the durability, but rather when comparing it to similar gi's with similar price tags, it seems to fall behind. with the presales, and notoriety that the brand "syr" demands, it seems that stitching should be spot on and a benchmark for other brands to follow...

great looking gi! can't wait for my yank to come around...

about the craftsmanship...i'm a little dissappointed, only a little b/c it doesn't look like a detriment to the durability, but rather when comparing it to similar gi's with similar price tags, it seems to fall behind. with the presales, and notoriety that the brand "syr" demands, it seems that stitching should be spot on and a benchmark for other brands to follow...

Your right..... still a beautifull gi il prob try to cover it up with a patch.

From the pictures it looks pretty much identical to a older batch #6, apart from a few subtle design changes such as the colours and logos. The overall weave, collar and cut appears to be exactly the same. Can anyone confirm this?

Didn't realize it was so light. I haven't weighed mine because I'm thinking about selling it, but if it's under 3lbs, I'll keep it because I need a light gi for comp.

How does your A1 fit you? My A2 seems just smaller than my A3 Mundial 9

Didn't realize it was so light. I haven't weighed mine because I'm thinking about selling it, but if it's under 3lbs, I'll keep it because I need a light gi for comp.

How does your A1 fit you? My A2 seems just smaller than my A3 Mundial 9

Its definatley the biggest A1 iv got, yea and probably comparable to the one A2 gi i own. The fit is much slimmer though. When i compared it to my keiko A1 its definatley longer but probably slightly thinner and thats before washing so it should come up nice.

Could you do me a favour and have a look at the stitching of yours and see if its similar to mine, cheers.

Thank you for the review. We will try and improve our products each and every time.

Thank you for the review. We will try and improve our products each and every time.

i'm curious, how much quality control do you have over things like stitching? i would imagine that stitching will vary from one gi to the next, throughout the entire batch, right?

i wouldn't worry about the contrast stitching being uneven i haven't seen a single contrast stitched gi, have even contrast stitching (stitching that requires more then one pass)

Mike @ Gorilla Fight Gear

Cheers for the responses guys!

i'm curious, how much quality control do you have over things like stitching? i would imagine that stitching will vary from one gi to the next, throughout the entire batch, right?

Good question, i posted this review on another forum i frequent and got a response from a british gi manufacturer who are only begining to hit the international market which stated they have rejected batches for less than that.

There is definitely a problem with the purple stitching on this shoyoroll white mamba gi.

The one I received has a big offshoot of purple stitching in a prominent position on the collar. Doesn't look good. See below.

Shoyoroll customer service haven't replied to my email querying this error which is annoying.

Nomis let me know how u get on.... thought they might of had a bit more of a response than they did

There is definitely a problem with the purple stitching on this shoyoroll white mamba gi.

The one I received has a big offshoot of purple stitching in a prominent position on the collar. Doesn't look good. See below.

Shoyoroll customer service haven't replied to my email querying this error which is annoying.

certainly this isn't going to be a problem with every mamba...it certainly won't hinder the durability of the gi, but i would be a little pissed having waited so long and paying $170 for a gi to find a defect like this.

i think it's safe to say, when you do business like syr, with the pre-sales and long waiting period before taking delivery, the gi's will be heavily criticized for defects such as this.

had this been a gi that stays in stock and gets shipped out timely, most people wouldn't make much of it...your thoughts?

Back