Simple but IMPORTANT Passing Concept by Jason Scully

jaysculls

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
This one guard passing concept that I share with you is super simple and extremely effective but the reality is that many grapplers don't think of it at all.

Most people think of certain passes and how they are going to hit them but as a coach a common question I get is "Why can't I get into this pass?". The biggest reason is because they are focusing on the wrong thing in the beginning.

Watch this video so you can see what you should be focusing on during the beginning stages of passing your opponent's guard.

[YT]-s9KexBsfJo[/YT]

Thanks for watching,

Jason Scully

Awesome stuff! This helped my passing so much once I figured this out.

I'm halfway through the video. So far it sounds very much like a concept that Dave Camarillo taught/discussed with me.

He emphasised that when we are on top, we remain in a safe position or, return to our last known safe position when passing instead of taking risks. Simplest demonstration was using a standing pass. If we stand and uke say, grabs a ankle, we we feel that they have compromised by getting a deep grip or hook, go back to last know safe position (usually knees with posture) and restart

This is a great video. Is it possible to have this kind of philosophy playing open guard?

This is a great video. Is it possible to have this kind of philosophy playing open guard?

Yes I use this theory for lots of things but the main difference is that most people don't think of guard passes from a set "position" aspect. They just think of the guard pass techniques. With mainly everything else home bases are already established. Now their can be sub-home bases from other situations. What I mean is this.

Guard Passing = No set position that people know or study in a common setting - Need to study what the "home base" is and then use that.

Top Positions - The positions are your home bases

Guards - The guard positions are your home bases

Back Mount/Turtle Top - The positions are your home bases.

See guard passing is an exception where there isn't a clear "home base" that is usually explained to people.

Good stuff. The introduction of what your students ask and then flowing into your answer about home base was great. Really emphasizes putting the horse in front of the cart to set yourself up for success.

I like this home base concept and will use it.

I used to differentiate between guard pass and guard break because I felt people focused too much on the pass and not getting to the home base.

This is great, thanks for the video! I'm definitely gonna try this approach. As for the home base, do you only focus having one home base for passing different guards, or do you already have a base set for each kind of guard the opponent plays?

Idk if you already covered that in the video, I'm deaf so I don't quite catch everything that's being said.

Great video. I learned this concept from some Saulo videos, I think they call their main passing position the "headquarters position" or something?

EDIT: yep, you mention that a little later in the vid :)

Great video. I learned this concept from some Saulo videos, I think they call their main passing position the "headquarters position" or something?

EDIT: yep, you mention that a little later in the vid :)

yeah, I'm familiar with Lovato and Saulo using the term "headquarters" position. I don't know the extent they use it though. I was assuming it was just for that one squatting position.

The "home base" theory is related to every guard pass and there are many home base situations.

yeah, I'm familiar with Lovato and Saulo using the term "headquarters" position. I don't know the extent they use it though. I was assuming it was just for that one squatting position.

The "home base" theory is related to every guard pass and there are many home base situations.

From my memory of the Lovato "Pressure Passing" dvds, the HQ position I believe is the name for that squatting position that you alluded to.

It was more a start for where the sequences started. I don't think there was a huge reference to going back to that position if the sh!t hit the fan and you have to bail out

Great video. My passing only took off when I finally came to this understanding, but unfortunately it was a long process of trial and effort and was never fully articulated for me.

Great video. My passing only took off when I finally came to this understanding, but unfortunately it was a long process of trial and effort and was never fully articulated for me.

Unfortunately these concepts aren't share in classes most of the time.

Save this Gold for the Grapplers Guide ;)

Great site man

Back