Size does seriously matter after all...

migeru29

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
as 215 pounds and used to beat the s* out of people in grappling.. Did keto now I'm 180 , same weight as these same people and I couldn't do s* to some of them. I've doing judo since 6 and Jiu-Jitsu since 16 so the technique is there, I didn't thought I was using so much strength... But apparently I was. Seems to be inevitable to use to much strength when you have the size advantage.

I starting to ear carbs I miss that weight and a lot to be honest.

Stack up skills, not pancakes.

Stack up skills, not pancakes.

No longer have time for craft. I just roll whenever I can. Plus it's not like I lack technique. I'm a judo BB and a JJ purple belt

My style is control/pin based, I need my strength back.

Clean up your pins. 180 is not small, you can still nail people to the floor, even much bigger than you, if you commit to stepping up your immobilization techniques.

Don’t just rely on body fat, this ain’t Sumojitsu!

Its not your weight, its your lack of details.
I pin better when im in my high 180s than when im over 200 lbs.

I have no issues pinning heavyweights. If anything hws are not used to getting pinned and lack the hip movement of lighter guys (USUALLY).

Yeah two heavy black belts at our gym lost 30+lbs. Suddenly all my escapes seemed easier and I started to put them in trouble here and there. Weight classes exist for a reason.

Keto is also a dumb diet to be on for a grappler. You'll have less energy, weight aside.

No longer have time for craft. I just roll whenever I can. Plus it's not like I lack technique. I'm a judo BB and a JJ purple belt

If you're lean at 180, at 215 you had a belly as I understand. The belly is a huge asset to keep a good side control pin. It's like an extra knee to block escapes. It also prevents the guy on the bottom to get an underhook and escapes by going north south.

The guys that can keep me in side control without me ''reguarding'' usually have a belly or they move very well from side to north south to the other side or they have an amazing shoulder pressure.

Keto is also a dumb diet to be on for a grappler. You'll have less energy, weight aside.

this.. i only do it the week of a weigh in to cut water weight to get those last 10 pounds off or so but i feel like garbage i cant roll hard during this time

I had a similar occurrence. Dropped from competing at 205ish to 185 last year. It was great for my game. I got to experience a big change in what I had been doing and really worked on mount control. Weight is back up right now and I can of miss the increase in speed and mobility I felt 30 pounds ago.

I will say that having gone from 180 to 220 and back to 175 I carried some of that "heaviness" with me. There's a certain technique of "being big" that you can apply at a lighter weight. I think it's having visceral comfort and security with the feeling of relaxing into your immobilizations and letting gravity really work for you.

Only the big guys think that weight & strength don't matter.

I'm not questioning your skills but as a lighter person you have to learn to move around your opponent instead of moving your opponent. JJ is a game of action reaction, and as long as your techniques are about forcing reactions that put you in mechanically advantageous positions it doesn't matter what your size is.

For example when I was 170 I liked to cross face from mount to get their arms to come up so I can work towards high mount. I got up to 215 and people started tapping to my crossfaces because I was physically bigger and more suffocating. My goal wasn't to tap people with crossfaces, I still wanted high mount. When I dropped back to 180 and people stopped tapping to my crossfaces but I was still able to work up to high mount no problem.

This also underlies the difficulty in learning JJ for larger athletes. It's easy to just rely on forcing moves or trying to crush people without using action reaction principals when you're larger. It's also hard to tell which moves are based on solid action reaction principals and which are just bulldozing people unless you're constantly rolling with equal sized or larger people than you. Smaller guys have no choice but to rely on action reaction because they can't force anything.

Well, you may be a bit less effective at stalling from one type of side control. However control can and should be dynamic, if your opponent is overpowering out of a pin then your windows open for submissions and transitions into other positions (mount, reverse scarf, modified scarf, north south, knee on belly, transitioning from the right to the left side ect).

Yeah, for sure. Years ago I went from 185ish lbs to 160 or even some less and it was awful for top control and guard pass.

It matters a lot.
I'm 6.4 160 pounds so I know what I'm talking about.
Size matters a lot, especially when it comes to wrestling/judo.
I'm, at least that's what my coach says, super technical for a blue belt, I'm super flexible, I train 5 times a Week, have a Diaz bros type of cardio, but still I couldn't do shit yesterday against a 250 pound samoan rugby player (he looked like Mark Hunt) who took his first bjj class.
He took me down like Nothing, postured up and separated my legs with his hands when I had him in a triangle, curled me up as I had him an armbar...
Not do mention he would kill me in a real fight or in mma rules by standing up if I had a submission on him and slamming me on the ground.
Size matters a lot, there is a reason why most male purple belts beat female BBs easily...

I've lost 15 kg this year and it's improved my game at anything. I may have less weight, but I have a lot more speed to get to positions faster and to be more mobile in shutting down techniques.

Arm wrestling champion even intentionally puts himself in submissions and the master still can't finish him

Arm wrestling champion even intentionally puts himself in submissions and the master still can't finish him

theirs a girl whos 12 at my gym who id put down 100 bucks that she would be able to submit you within 2 minutes tops

Sorry for posting in here but i cant seem to start my own thread , any way got a question for you best place in the uk for a short fat guy gi 130 kg 5ft 8

Back