Multiplatform Skull and Bones **In beta

Where's your faith in this property at?

• Total voters
Anyone signing up for the closed beta? It starts today. Will let you play for 6 hours.
Share your thoughts when done; want to hear.

So far, it's not great. It's like they made black flag without the AC parts, and still couldn't make this work. Also, the controls are less intuitive than black flag so far. I know it's a beta, but it's set for release in February. I have no plans to buy this game when it comes out.

Graphics wise, it isn't gonna blow you out of the water. Voice acting is average. This game looks like it came out years ago. After the tutorial, you end up on a dinghy with 2 other people. Gotta scavenge and do missions to be able to build a new boat. Killing sharks and crocodiles by throwing spears. I'm gonna use the full 6 hours they allow to see if I can warm up to if, but 2 hours of playtime so far and it hasn't clicked for me yet.

So far, it's not great. It's like they made black flag without the AC parts, and still couldn't make this work. Also, the controls are less intuitive than black flag so far. I know it's a beta, but it's set for release in February. I have no plans to buy this game when it comes out.
Considering it's a game that they're basically being forced to shit out, it's not surprising that it's underwhelming. A game developed by a lazier than usual Ubisoft, is not a good sign.

Considering it's a game that they're basically being forced to shit out, it's not surprising that it's underwhelming. A game developed by a lazier than usual Ubisoft, is not a good sign.
It's cross platform. So you have safe harbors. Once you go jn the open ocean, it's pretty much GTA online levels of chaos. And it's expected because you're a pirate. I'm expecting this to be a flop based on my first 2 hours of play time.

It's cross platform. So you have safe harbors. Once you go jn the open ocean, it's pretty much GTA online levels of chaos. And it's expected because you're a pirate. I'm expecting this to be a flop based on my first 2 hours of play time.
Yeah, spearing aquatic life for a couple hours for mats sounds weak. Many will dip out, I’d wager, especially after the production hell tag this title carries around and all the preconceptions that go with that.

Ubi needs a home run as bad as any right now; this sounds the opposite. They should start selling off portfolio properties one by one and let smarter-managed studios rez the dead.

Appreciate your write-ups on this.

Yeah, spearing aquatic life for a couple hours for mats sounds weak. Many will dip out, I’d wager, especially after the production hell tag this title carries around and all the preconceptions that go with that.

Ubi needs a home run as bad as any right now; this sounds the opposite. They should start selling off portfolio properties one by one and let smarter-managed studios rez the dead.

Appreciate your write-ups on this.

I see no path to victory here. I think it's going to come out and get minimal support unless the Hard-core pirate guys play it. Might get the same treatment as Anthem.

Open Beta went live today. Feb 8th - Feb 11th with no timelimit on gameplay. I may give it another go. See if they made any improvements.

Open Beta went live today. Feb 8th - Feb 11th with no timelimit on gameplay. I may give it another go. See if they made any improvements.
You give it another try? Were there any improvements?
I downloaded it today without any real expectations. Seems kinda good (maybe). Probably not worth 70 dollars for me unless I haven't yet passed the tutorial and seen what the full game should look like.
Also if I need to play with a crew to be successful I will probably say nope.
I don't have many virtual pirate RP online friends

Just played a little of open beta.

Positives
- Graphics
- Ship battles was fun
- spearing sharks was cool

Negatives
- I went to multiple islands and you can only walk a short way to cook at a fire, look at npc's dancing fighting etc, talk to one guy. You can't check out the rest of the island at all.
- This game appears to be full of lame fetch quests. Just ways to keep you playing doing mundane shit.

Last edited:
I downloaded it today without any real expectations. Seems kinda good (maybe). Probably not worth 70 dollars for me unless I haven't yet passed the tutorial and seen what the full game should look like.
I haven't had time. Plan on downloading today. 3 kids doing sports. My schedule is loaded. Hard to find the time. I'm gonna get a fee hours in before the beta is over though. If it's a decent improvement, I will wait for a major sale or a gamepass drop.

Just played a little of open beta.

Positives
- Graphics
- Ship battles was fun
- spearing sharks was cool

Negatives
- I went to multiple islands and you can only walk a short way to cook at a fire, look at npc's dancing fighting etc, talk to one guy. You can't check out the rest of the island at all.
- This game appears to full of lame fetch quests. Just ways to keep you playing doing mundane shit.
Sounds like they may have upgraded the graphics since the first go around. All your negatives are the same I had from the first playthrough. And that's disappointing to hear.

Once you get a little further in it gets better. Still not worth 70. Seems to be either fetch missions, or destroy ships missions. And some missions dictate that you switch ships. Crew not needed. Also, you can team up with people on the same server for tougher battles if needed. It said if you team up, the payout is much higher and split evenly.

Downloaded the beta and it was just ok. There is too much repetition early on especially for a game delayed so long. Unless they have some content plans this game will struggle to maintain a long term community. I hope I'm wrong as it was fun enough and having a good consistent group of friends playing this would definitely give it long term appeal.

Once you get a little further in it gets better. Still not worth 70. Seems to be either fetch missions, or destroy ships missions. And some missions dictate that you switch ships. Crew not needed. Also, you can team up with people on the same server for tougher battles if needed. It said if you team up, the payout is much higher and split evenly.
I got max level in beta and had fun playing solo.
Not worth the AAAA price Ubisoft says it is, but its pretty addictive and Im already worried about what will happen to my loot after the free beta ends.

I got max level in beta and had fun playing solo.
Not worth the AAAA price Ubisoft says it is, but its pretty addictive and Im already worried about what will happen to my loot after the free beta ends.
Sounds like you are deciding whether or not to go ahead and buy. I know it's not worth the price, but addiction is a bitch.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back