Skydiving or Scuba Diving?

Skydiving or Scuba Diving?

• Total voters

Takes_Two_To_Tango

Formally known as MXZT
Platinum Member
Reaction score
If I had to pick out of the two it would be Skydiving, I'm not a very good swimmer.

Skydiving.jpg

Not likely to do either. But I can see myself scuba diving before skydiving.

Am certified to PADI deep diving level which is 40m depth. Gets pretty dark down there!

Scuba diving is like flying for real when your equilibrium is reached. I can go on very low oxygen with slow movement and it becomes meditative.

I take diving because it's safer and cheaper, the environment is more interesting. I don't have anything against skydiving, I mean to give it a go when I'm old enough that the risk no longer matters so much.

I've done a tandem jump, paraglide etc.

Last edited:
I have done both. I did tandem skydiving years ago. It was an incredible rush.

I went Scuba Diving in Bali this past summer , I loved it. I would get my PADI certification but I wouldn't be able to use it enough to justify the cost.

I've done scuba diving and absolutely loved it. The preparation before is a pain in the ass but i guess it won't be any easier for sky diving either.

I don't like heights and I don't trust parachutes, don't think i would ever sky diving.

Scuba diving i want to keep doing as many times as I can.

I watched an interview with Shaq talking about how he trained MMA. The interviewer asked him if his team was ok with him training. He said he was allowed to do anything in his contract except scuba diving and sky diving.

Both are worth trying in equal measure. I was a NAUI diver and used to do a fair amount of SCUBA. Also did 6 static line jumps in the military + 1 tandem as a civilian just for fun.

But "levels to this shit" applies to both. Night cave dives at depth can be relatively dangerous and requires advanced certification. Likewise HALO jumps are very far up the learning and certification curves. But at the basic level, neither are particularly hard. An initial tandem jump requires literally no training - a trained instructor is strapped to your back and handles everything and he's highly motivated to do his job because

1702229021902.png

Likewise a 3-day PADI basic course will teach you the basics and you might even get an open water dive to 20 feet in calm water in good conditions which is very safe and easy. Until you are VERY advanced you will always dive with an instructor with an extra octopus for you to breath out of in case you fuck up yours.

But there are misconceptions to both. You DON'T need to be a great swimmer to do SCUBA. In fact being a very experienced swimmer can work against you because you're so used to coming up for air that it can be hard to suppress that and relax underwater. Your oxygen tank inflates your BCD and regulates buoyancy, not your lungs. I am a terrible swimmer but did fine in SCUBA from day one.

And fear of heights is NOT a factor in skydiving. I have a fear of heights and diving off a 10m platform into a pool or rappelling 80 feet out of a helicopter was scarier for me than jumping out of a plane. Skydiving entails jumping out of a plane AT LEAST 800 feet above ground (but likely much higher) and that is higher than the brain can process to trigger fear of heights. It feels like stepping out of a door into a strong wind but your autonomic brain can't fully process it so there's no panic reflex.

Last edited:
Scuba, especially in nice waters. I've done search training for our local fire department and that can get pretty scary.

I've jumped out of a perfectly good Cessna in Australia at about 10,000ft I think it was. 8,000 or 10,000ft.
Tandem skydive, was GREAT. Very exihilirating. Not scary at all, but I've done plenty of paragliding too off mountains.

Scuba diving i have done once, as a test dive. Done plenty of snorkelling too, most of it at the Great Barrier Reef in Queensland.

Recommend both. Skydiving is really pretty safe, although it does seem like a silly thing to do, i agree.
I think you're more likely to get injured or die scuba diving to be honest. But again, that's what proper training is for and follow the rules very carefuilly etc and you'll be fine.

Avoid trigger fish when snorkelling or scuba diving. Most aggressive fish i've ever encountered. One went for me big time and bit a hole in my fins and kept coming.....

I have done both. I did tandem skydiving years ago. It was an incredible rush.

I went Scuba Diving in Bali this past summer , I loved it. I would get my PADI certification but I wouldn't be able to use it enough to justify the cost.

Dude that's exactly where I did my first scuba experience as well.

I haven't done either but I suppose living near the ocean has me leaning toward scuba diving. Scuba diving would probably be fun. It is hard for me to imagine skydiving me enjoyable.

Scuba for me and it ain't even close, ole Pete legit wishes he was born a fish, life underwater is like a dream
Wish I woulda done stuff like that before I got old and broken down, cest la vie

Back