Slick Back Take

Gerbiljiujitsu

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
In this video I show a simple, yet effective, transition from Side Control to Back.

I've been doing this transition for a long time and I always thought of it as a move that most people know. Recently I have come to the realization that many people don't know what I'm talking about when I reference this move, thus I have filmed it.

The hardest part about this move is getting the arm trapped against the body. There are a number of ways to get this arm trapped but most often I'll transition into side control from North/South or run all the way around the head to the far side. When I do that it's easy to catch the arm by sitting into a Reverse Kesa position.

Once that arm is trapped between the bodies (reference the video) we should start viewing this move as an arm drag. The hand placement on the inside of the tricep is very important in making sure you dont get caught up in the arm while making the transition.

The second important part about this move is the placement of the knee in relation to the spine. I go over this in depth during the video so it's important to watch that. Although it's hard for this move to go bad, it is easy to miss the opportunity for your hooks. Make sure to rep this out a few times before trying it live.

With those things in mind this can be a great move/transition that will catch people off guard.

Strangely enough, I've been taught very similar gripping structure for the paper cutter choke.
Trap near arm, underhook, grip shoulder or collar. Cross face to find the far collar and swing elbow out and over the face, or simply reach over face to grip far collar.

No one has ever mentioned that you can take the back from there. I'm confident that should I begin to look for these grips, everyone in my gym will be expecting a paper cutter set up. Will be interesting to see how well the back take trumps their expectations.

Looks like the way you end up gripping the arm while taking the back would transition smoothly to a tight, under-the-armpit armbar from the back.

Strangely enough, I've been taught very similar gripping structure for the paper cutter choke.
Trap near arm, underhook, grip shoulder or collar. Cross face to find the far collar and swing elbow out and over the face, or simply reach over face to grip far collar.

No one has ever mentioned that you can take the back from there. I'm confident that should I begin to look for these grips, everyone in my gym will be expecting a paper cutter set up. Will be interesting to see how well the back take trumps their expectations.

Looks like the way you end up gripping the arm while taking the back would transition smoothly to a tight, under-the-armpit armbar from the back.

my thoughts exactly.

great move, will be trying this tomorrow.

This would be a great addition to my game, I love the north south position. Will drill this and try it out. Thanks for sharing!

I've always wondered why nobody takes the back from that grip. The reverse underhook really is just an arm drag. It's also a viable transition in reverse (into the paper-cutter, arm-in NS choke or power armlock) when you lose the back.

Awesome extra input in this thread too.

that's some great grapplin' right there. thanks Gerb!

Funny you posted this. I saw you compete against my coach at Pans and he is REALLY good at this move.

Wow, this is great. I like the N/S set up, but I also see a utility for it when people sometimes reach under with that inside arm in anticipation of a knee slide mount (to have a hand under your leg, so they can already be shifting back to half guard).

Sometimes, I grab the arm and work the paper-cutter choke there, but this is a good option too. I like having the back.

Funny you posted this. I saw you compete against my coach at Pans and he is REALLY good at this move.

One thing is for certain, your coach's Judo is a lot better than mine!

Not only did he hit the trip in the first 20 seconds, he hit it AGAIN later. He's incredibly nice and has clean technique.

I look forward to working my Judo and trying it again in the future.

Ditto, the paper cutter is the only technique I use when I get that arm trapped. I usually have to transition to N/S like Gerbil did here, in order to trap that arm. Those that know the choke are always looking for it as soon as I trap that arm. This will be a great tech to have in the tool belt.

Wow. Like other people who posted previously I use this position to set up various chokes (i.e., bread cutter) but I had never thought about this transition.

I like the very simple setup from north-south. I can see why this would be a high percentage move.

Thank you very much for sharing it!

Looks like a good counter to the underhook/spin to your knees escape

Looks like a good counter to guys looking to spin to a darce from under side control. You could maybe time it where when they sit up they just give you their back.

Back