SNL w Shane Gillis

Whoever casts that show is responsible for how horrible it is, it’s mostly just younger alty comics/improv people who were never funny to begin with. There’s so many killer comedians out there just making independent sketches on social media that are hundreds times better than the shit on that show.

Whoever casts that show is responsible for how horrible it is, it’s mostly just younger alty comics/improv people who were never funny to begin with. There’s so many killer comedians out there just making independent sketches on social media that are hundreds times better than the shit on that show.
the opening sketch was god tier cringe

Ugh, I thought that Shane should have turned it down because he didn't "need" to go on the show. However, I had hope because of Gilly and Keeves that him and John McKeever could have written something funny they would air. But..that was awful.

Did you join the discord? We had fun posting during the skit.

It just started in the west coast watching the monologue... Will report back later.

just started watching my first episode in 5+ years just for Shane. But holy fucking shit this is embarrassing. This is funny writing? Shane hasn't even shown his face yet.
I probably haven't watched an episode since 2015.

Monologue was maybe a 6/10 he should have trashed SNL more for almost ending his career and slandering him as a racist. I had to quit watching after the Jamaica skit it was about as funny as cancer.

I’ve now watched most of the episode, here’s how I feel about it

It really is the cast that holds the show back, the sketch premises (outside of the lame political stuff) aren’t horrible, it’s just that most of the people on the show suck at delivering their lines and probably never try to riff anything. Shane proved that the sketches could be funny by simply using his comedic ability.

You can tell that most of these people weren’t picked because they were funny, they were picked because they seemed safe and the fit some kind of diversity quota. People who have no idea what’s funny are the ones who are usually responsible for casting these network shows, that’s why most of their picks are awful.

I’m hoping that the industry people pick up on how much people love comics like Shane Gillis, a guy who’s gotten to where he is simply by being funny. If we just go back to showcasing funny people in comedy I think there could be a huge resurgence in top tier Stand up comedy, Comedy movies, and comedy shows.

Nate Bargatze really showed SnL for what it is today.

He took his episode, put HIS stamp on it and fucking crushed it with the George Washington speech scene and another skit or two. Any fans of Nate will very clearly see HIS input,.which gives me the impression the ideas are probably pretty rough and it is all a matter of how hard people work that week or how TALENTED the guest is, to MAKE something funny out of a pile of horseshit, which is what Nate did with the GW skit.

I'm probably going to look up some of Shane's skits. I am not nearly as jazzed with him as the rest of the world seems to be. He seems to be getting top dog in comedy type respect and I don't see him being anywhere near guys like Louis CK who still puts out a special every year or two that actually makes me laugh and think. But maybe Shane can continue to grow and get there. Or maybe I need to lower my expectations for comics that came to the scene in the cancel culture era ever being as funny as the comics who didn't have to deal with that shit.

the opening sketch was god tier cringe
maybe I am tinfoiling it

but that is a homage to one of Shanes bits

he had a bit about Cruz getting punked by Trump then supporting him later

that being said I am on the left but I didn't even chuckle

I like ego she kills it on CBB but those sketches were weak

I watched all of the skits on YouTube this morning.

The premise of all of them seemed pretty good. But, the execution seemed off.

- Office HR mandatory trainings are something everyone can relate to. But, that skit just wasn't funny.

- 1985 high school reunion had potential.

Maybe they could have combined the two by having the guy that peaked in high school have to run a HR meeting in modern office environments?

I have no idea what that Rob Lowe gameshow was about.

The Packers fan skit was dumb.

Sex doll skit was dumb.

Trump sneakers made me chuckle.

Vacation at church, again, has potential. Many of us have been dragged to church by mom during vacation.

Monologue was funny

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back