So Alec Baldwin just killed a woman

Sounds like both were hit with the same bullet:

In the email that IATSE Local 44 sent to its membership, Secretary-Treasurer Anthony Pawluc described the event as an “an accidental weapons discharge” in which “A live single round was accidentally fired on set by the principal actor, hitting both the Director of Photography, Local 600 member Halnya Hutchins, and Director Joel Souza … Local 44 has confirmed that the Props, Set Decoration, Special Effects and Construction Departments were staffed by New Mexico crew members. There were no Local 44 members on the call sheet.”

Labor Unions have different Locals at different geographical locations, often state by state. Local 44 is the Los Angeles local. A quick google search shows that New Mexico is Local 480. Arizona is Local 336. I don't know if the different locals feud.

If Local 44 had no members on the set, how do they know what happened? Has Local 44 gotten information from whatever Local provided the crew? The woman killed was a member of Local 600.

This is what happens when people who don't know anything about guns, handle guns.

Blank rounds are usually very easy to tell from live rounds as the brass is crimped shut to hold the powder charge in because they don't have a bullet.
three-blank-223-762x45mm-rounds-M9WMAW.jpg

They would have primers in them to ignite the powder. They would also have bullets that look like a typical bullet to put in gun belts or to use in scenes where a gun is being loaded but those shouldn't have primers or powder. Maybe they got lazy and used live ammo for when a cartridge is visible.

Blank cartridges are also prone to misfires as they can be more difficult to seal out moisture.

The dude with the gun in his hand.

Treat every weapon as if it is loaded.
Never point your to weapon at anything you do not intend to shoot.
Rules 1&2 with of weapons safety.

It's harsh given the circumstances, but I honestly don't think there's any way around this point. Alec Baldwin was holding the gun, so he was responsible for the handling of it. Food for thought for all the actors out in Hollywoodland, who just wave guns around indiscriminately because they are told to.

Because I have seen what they do to people in person, have a healthy respect for it and don't trust other people when it comes to weapons. I have had too many empty weapons handed to me with a round in the chamber.

The first thing we did teaching hunter's safety classes was tell the students that they should always check the chamber of any gun that is handed to them to make certain it is empty and make sure the safety is on. We demonstrated how to do it then went through the rules to treat every gun as if it is loaded. Don't point the gun at anything you don't intend to shoot. Don't put your finger on the trigger until you are ready to shoot. Know your target and beyond.

Then a .22 rimfire rifle was passed around. It had a cartridge with the bullet and powder removed. Very seldom did anyone check the chamber and usually somebody pulled the trigger setting off the primer with a pop.

It's harsh given the circumstances, but I honestly don't think there's any way around this point. Alec Baldwin was holding the gun, so he was responsible for the handling of it. Food for thought for all the actors out in Hollywoodland, who just wave guns around indiscriminately because they are told to.
It is not murder but the dude is responsible for where that round landed

It is not murder but the dude is responsible for where that round landed

Not really. In his mind it was basically a toy gun and he relied on a professional to hand him something that was safe. This is the fault of whoever was responsible for making sure the firearm was not going to fire a live round.

Not really. In his mind it was basically a toy gun and he relied on a professional to hand him something that was safe. This is the fault of whoever was responsible for making sure the firearm was not going to fire a live round.
Lol this

The crew literally yelled “cold gun!” to indicate to everyone on set that the gun was safe and completely clear.

If my job is to inspect the harnesses on a roller coaster and I don’t, then tell the operator it’s safe and he sets it in motion, then a person ends up flying off and dying due to a faulty harness, you don’t blame the operator.

You are never not responsible for the gun you are handling, is the point.

You are never not responsible for the gun you are handling, is the point.

That point is stupid in this scenario. Due wasn't out hunting. He was in a situation where by design he was to pull the trigger and a live round not be discharged. Baldwin wasn't the guy being paid to make sure everything was safe.

But when on set, aim and fire away at other actors/performers.

And the vast majority of times nothing goes wrong and no one gets hurt. When it does, you get Lee or Hutchins.

For the record, I'm not blaming Baldwin for this. Yeah, if I was an extra on a movie and someone handed me a weapon that was supposed to fire blanks at other people, I'd do everything but field-strip the thing before firing it. But at the end of the day, the Production Armourer is the one responsible for all weapons on set. Baldwin should have been able to take it on trust the firearm he'd been handed was completely safe.

By all accounts, this production was a cluster-fuck from the beginning. And when the first crew walked off, they brought in non-union staff, which made it even worse.

I'm not entirely sure how Prop/blank guns they use work, couldn't they add a BFA and then digitally remove it so it's not obvious (looks more real?).

Or is that already incorporated somehow? b/c i'm not understanding how if they are, any projectile would still leave the barrel

Back