so bored in general

Sounds like you have a wonderful life, but I can relate the feeling of restlessness.

Honestly, take an online course (or if time allows, in person) in a subject that interests you. The wealth of options available at most universities and even community colleges caters to virtually every taste.

Challenge yourself intellectually - it keeps you sharp.

Go slumming and get the scare of death in ya for starters!

Anybody else feel like this?
Mid 30s
Financially comfortable
Kind of a dead end job, but I live well and don't do without anything I want if it's not more than a couple grand (meaning I can drop a couple grand and be fine, not having to save up)
Kids in first grade
I'm just bored
Powerlifting gives me something to look forward to, but that only goes so far
I don't dig the picket fence and a dog life

How do people manage the grind to nowhere?

Funny

Get an old POS car that someone dropped a huge engine into for cheap and go have fun.

Nope, he needs the fear of death. That will spice shite up for you.

Start building Rat-Rods with your kid, she'll love it.

Custom-Rat-Rod-Pictures-29.jpg

I am 35. I quit my union job in April. Now I have 40 extra hours I don't work and 15 to 20 hours a week I don't commute. I am not bored. I have been trying to learn calculus. I recently got a bass guitar which seems new to me even though I played regular guitar for years. I have vegetables I grow in the backyard. I have a Wife and two kids age 6 and 2. We are going to the beach tomorrow and setting up the tent on the beach for the day. I drive my sandrail all over the Buttes behind my house. I don't even watch TV. I just watch MMA online. I take the family to the movies every Friday but it is usually a kids movie. Once or twice a week I play GTA5. Halloween is coming up, decorate your house I did.

I am 35. I quit my union job in April. Now I have 40 extra hours I don't work and 15 to 20 hours a week I don't commute. I am not bored. I have been trying to learn calculus. I recently got a bass guitar which seems new to me even though I played regular guitar for years. I have vegetables I grow in the backyard. I have a Wife and two kids age 6 and 2. We are going to the beach tomorrow and setting up the tent on the beach for the day. I drive my sandrail all over the Buttes behind my house. I don't even watch TV. I just watch MMA online. I take the family to the movies every Friday but it is usually a kids movie. Once or twice a week I play GTA5. Halloween is coming up, decorate your house I did.

So how do you earn money to support all this?

How do you support yourself?

I've been like that since I was 15. Was diagnosed with mild-chronis depression and ptsd. Not much has changed since then for me, so I suggest you get out of the rut and break the cycle before it becomes permanent.

Pick up a new hobby.

Look up some old scientists wikis. Look at Archimedes and Euclid. Look at Sir Issac Newton. Think about pi, centripetal , and centrifugal force. If you like programming maybe you should try building your own electronics. Learn Electric theory. I have an Associates in Electric Technology I never used.

I kind of agree with the dude who suggested you observe your butt in different positions.

How do you support yourself?

Mostly by living in Palmdale. My mortgage is 580 a month. 4 bedrooms on one acre of land. I own another houset near downtown Los Angeles I rent out. I just got lucky and bought my house when the market was at its lowest. It has already doubled in value. I sold most of my comic book and baseball card collection on eBay. Even when I was working I would make a thousand a week on the side selling comics if the comics were hot at the time. I spent $3,000 on guardians of the galaxy comics right when news of the movie broke and made $20,000 on them after the movie came out. The only bad investment I made in the last ten years was buying Osama Bin Laden merchandise after he died. It was only worth money for a few weeks. I lost about $2,000 on that.

I am going to use next year's tax return to help start my own business. If that does not work out I will put the knee pads on and crawl back to the electricians union. That or try to get my engineering degree. I have an Associates and passed Trigonometry as far as math went. I am lucky to have so little living expenses that I can afford to not work for a year and take the risk of starting my own company.

Find something worth doing bigger than he hum-drum. Start watching horror movies or another genre that's exciting and that'll get your heart-rate going. Then start working on a project like writing a screenplay, or a novel. Maybe plan on making an independent movie. It's not as expensive or difficult to do as it used to be. Plan each stage from the basics, one step at a time like you are going to do it. Those are just some ideas.

Back