So, Fury Wilder 1!

Phlog

Sgt Sprinkles
@Gold
Reaction score
What a match that was. Tyson's movement was great, his feints and jab told the story, Wilder looked overtrained and up against a veteran opponent.

That recovery in the last round was the best I've seen, came too at the 5 count and just rose with pure force of will. Great to see the friendship after, they were equals, just not in the parameters of the sport, Fury clearly won on points. I feel that the draw and rematch is justified though, makes it more interesting. I expect better from both of them next time and the winner will smash Joshua.

Last edited:
tyson won that fight 100% to think otherwise is lying to yourself i hate tyson fury tbh but i cant deny he won this

tyson won that fight 100% to think otherwise is lying to yourself i hate tyson fury tbh but i cant deny he won this
If by “won” you mean out pointed. Then he did. And I get that. So maybe he won the match, but Wilder won the fight.
Rematch should be even better though.

If by “won” you mean out pointed. Then he did. And I get that. So maybe he won the match, but Wilder won the fight.
Rematch should be even better though.

Boxing is scored on points. Wilder was pretty much missing all night except the two knockdowns (which saved him from losing outright). If he hadn't scored the 12th round knockdown - I don't think anyone would have thought Wilder was on route to a draw let alone a win.

If we are talking about scoring on points - Fury clearly should have won on points.

I think the controversial judging of 115 - 111 in favour of Wilder was an atrocious decision on part of that judge. I think most professionals as well admitted as much. I think if you did a consensus of fans/pundits/professionals - most scored the fight in favour of Fury. I would go as far as to say most people felt Fury should have won - which is saying something.

I'm not to disappointed with a draw though because at least we get to watch a rematch again.

I do think that should a rematch happen - Fury will be much better the second time round. I think he will be more tuned in for the second fight - I don't think we've seen prime Fury yet. I think he still has a bit of rust to work off with more fights. He only came back to fighting this year - he's only going to get better as he gets more time in the ring.

I think a rematch will fare worse for Wilder. I feel as though Wilder won't be able to improve as much as Fury in a potential rematch. I also think that Wilder - a great fighter although he is - is lacking in many areas. Apart from insane knockout power - he's lacking in the many areas that he'd need to beat someone a finely tuned/primed Fury.

Kind of insane given Fury just started fighting this year after nearly 3 years off.

It will be interesting to see what happens with AJ in the mix too.

This sucks now we have to wait even longer for AJ to fight either Deontay or Tyson. What is AJ going to do now?

Maybe he can take a KB match but against a smaller opponent to make it safer for him.

It's been a long time since HW boxing has been this good.

This sucks now we have to wait even longer for AJ to fight either Deontay or Tyson. What is AJ going to do now?

Maybe he can take a KB match but against a smaller opponent to make it safer for him.
Hearns said that AJ wants Wilder early 2019 but will take fury if it'll twke too long

I know Tyson won because of how boxing is scored. But I can’t believe every boxing fan in the world just straight up ignores damage as if it doesn’t matter.

Fury got KO’d but had the heart to come back from the dead. How can you feel like a winner when you got knocked out

I think this should be read by EVERYONE who watches PROFESSIONAL boxing.

“…. Judges are to score each round using the following scoring criteria:

1. Clean punching (power versus quantity).
    2. Effective aggressiveness.
    3. Ring generalship.
    4. Defense.

When scoring each round, judges are to refer to the Scoring Criteria outlined in the ABC’s Regulatory Guidelines:8

The ABC expands upon this in its Certification Program, stating:

The test to measure the awarding of points for “offensive boxing” should be the number of direct, clean punches delivered with the knuckle part of the closed glove on any part of the scoring zone of the opponent’s body above the belt line. The judges should also consider the effect of blows received versus the number of punches delivered. Punches that are blocked or deflected should not be considered in tabulating your score. Blocked or deflected punches that land foul are not to be considered fouls in the awarding of points at the end of the round.”9 (Professional Boxing Judges, Chapter III – Scoring Zone).

It also states:

Determination should not be mistaken for aggressiveness when one boxer continuously moves forward boring in on the opponent regardless of the number of punches being received. If an attack is not effective, the boxer cannot receive credit for it. In order for the boxer to be effective in their aggressiveness, he or she must force the action and set the tempo of the bout through forward movement. The boxer must score punches while blocking and avoiding the opponents counter punching. An aggressive boxer who continues boring in and getting hit from every angle should not be awarded points based on aggressiveness.”10 (Professional Boxing Judges, Chapter V – Scoring The Bout).

Finally, the Certification Program provides guidelines as to how a round should be scored numerically:

• “10/9 From a “close” to “moderate” margin
  • 10/8 EXTREMELY DECISIVE (without a knockdown)
  • 10/8 One knockdown
  • 10/7 Two knockdowns
  • 10/6 More than (2) two knockdowns
  • 10/10 Cannot pick a winner (very rare).”11 (Professional Boxing Judges, Chapter VIII – Scoring Criteria).
………..

“A judge should not only know what a 10/9 round is, but know the degree a boxer is winning the 10/9 round. Either a boxer won a close 10/9 round, a moderate 10/9 round, or a decisive 10/9 round. Extreme decisive may push the score to a 10/8 score depending on the judgment of the judge.” (Professional Boxing Judges, Chapter VIII – Scoring The Bout).

https://www.lawinsport.com/topics/a...ow-professional-boxing-s-scoring-system-works

Just so people read this in the thread.

I know Tyson won because of how boxing is scored. But I can’t believe every boxing fan in the world just straight up ignores damage as if it doesn’t matter.

Fury got KO’d but had the heart to come back from the dead. How can you feel like a winner when you got knocked out
But, he didn't get knocked out.
{<huh}

What a match that was. Tyson's movement was great, his feints and jab told the story, Wilder looked overtrained and up against a veteran opponent.

That recovery in the last round was the best I've seen, came too at the 5 count and just rose with pure force of will. Great to see the friendship after, they were equals, just not in the parameters of the sport, Fury clearly won on points. I feel that the draw and rematch is justified though, makes it more interesting. I expect better from both of them next time and the winner will smash Johnson.
I agree but Anthony Johnson is completely different than Anthony Joshua lol

I honestly don't think Joshua wants any of Fury. Reckon he might fight Wilder tho.

If Fury fights Wilder and wins that sets up another to decide it for good, if AJ fights Wilder in the meantime it potentially sets up a couple more fights.

Basically if everyone plays ball we might have a handful of meaningful HW fights over the next few years! What a time to be alive!

Back