So how do you apologie for blowing out a guys knee?

footgod

Black Belt
Reaction score
So I don't know what the hell happened. 9 years of jiu jitsu and I have never unintentionally hurt a person as bad as I did a couple days ago. I've broken a lot of ankles in comp but tap or snap you know. I wasn't even going hard.

I don't know the guy as he is from a different gym but I feel sorta bad. I was did a backword roll entry into a kneebar while he was standing and I was on my back.

His leg was not even straight, he was still standing and I heard a really loud pop.
I don't know what the hell happened. Guy was well over 200 so its not like he had some weird chicken legs.
I found out today
Turns out the guy tore his MCL LCL and ACL

I am not typically one for apologies but I feel like i should in this instance i am just not sure how to go about it. We've met once and I broke your knee sorry about that. Part of me thinks I should let it go simply because the guy may not want to see me.

Anyone have to deal with this before?

Let him heel hook your dad, you can then call it even.

Shit happens, we all accept the risk of injury when we train. If it was unintentional all you can do is apologize and give him your best wishes for recovery.

Nothing you can do but say sorry. Unless you want us to engage in sympathy mode for you there is honestly nothing else we could advise. A present personally would piss me off from the guy, a sorry is all I'd want.
Clear your head, it happens and theres nothing you can do about it now, keep on grappling.

Really nice bottle of scotch.
Seconded, I really like The Dalmore Cigar Malt.

Give him some time to cool down and then go apologize. I am sure he will see that you are sincere. If he doesn't want to accept your apology, there is nothing you can do, but at least you tried to do the right thing.

You're gonna ruin the cause dude. :eek:

I'm still trying to imagine how this could happen without you being super aggressive, or him just being predisposed to ligament tears.

Some kind of twisting must have gone on? How straight was his leg when he was standing?

Just say sorry nothing else you can do. I had a similar situation where a guy hurt his knee during training when I went for a takedown. Surgery and Recovery but there was nothing I can do but say sorry.

accidents happen, nothing to feel bad about. unless you went for a Palhares level heel hook in training then just apologize and hope he accepts it. if not then oh well.

damn dude you really fucked that dude up, ACL MCL and LCL???

lol and people shit talk the lack of emphasis on leglocks in BJJ, fuck that.

There are two ways out of it depending on the circumstances. You could've either:

a) Just rolled onto a kneebar casually
b) Just rolled onto a kneebar casually while pulling on the foot like a madman

If you can place your actions in the above category imo you should:

a) Apologize and move on. No one sane rolls with a goal to tweak somebody, but accidents happen.
b) Buy him a boat, a nice one.

If by any chance you couldn't fit into any mentioned criteria you still should buy this guy a fancy boat.

You don't. Shit happens and doing so is awkward. After all you can't give him his knee back.

It's not your fault.

damn dude you really fucked that dude up, ACL MCL and LCL???

lol and people shit talk the lack of emphasis on leglocks in BJJ, fuck that.

if BJJ had more of an emphasis on leg locks, at least the dude who now is fucked up would have know what was coming, or at least know what to do. with more emphasis of leg locks emphasis on leg defense would increase as well.

don't be scared homie.

Id just take the time out to meet up with him and have a chat. Explain that I feel very bad about it and wish him all the best.

Back